Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Books Like The Diamond Age

I'm just finishing a re-read of Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" - it is one of those books I enjoy more with every re-read -- it is so densely textured and layered, that I discover/realize something new with every read. Kind of like what Nell does with the primer.

I'm also a fan of Stephenson's Cryptonomicon - for similar reasons.

I've tried starting his "Baroque Cycle" but unsuccessfully so far. Anyone get through them yet - and if so - your opinion?

So ... I'm looking for other reads as challenging & rewarding as "The Diamond Age" -- and am contemplating "His Dark Materials" trilogy or even Narnia -- any suggestions/options?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
kmack
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, EBW-1150
Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" comes to mind.

You may also like Peter Watt's "Blindsight" and his "Rifters" series.
Peter Watt's backlist is available at http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Scamper
Scamper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
You might look into the free Ware books from Rudy Rucker. It really depends on what you like about his work.

Like the Cyberpunk side? Like the cross between Steam and Cyberpunk?
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not quite at Stephenson's level, but I liked Boneshaker
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Are we taking William Gibson's 'Neuromancer' as read?

I really enjoyed 'Slant' by Greg Bear
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Have you tried Anathem?

As for the Baroque Cycle, I managed to finish the first book by a force of sheer will and determination, but I despised it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read Peter Watts, Stepehenson, Gibson, most of Greg Bear (not Slant - thanks Sparrow), some of Rucker (just grabbed his freebie tetralogy). I've tried to read Boneshaker - didn't grab me but will try again. Love cyberpunk and steampunk.

What really intrigues me about The Diamond Age is the almost limitless depths to the writing - almost like "Godel, Escher, and Bach" - where the reader follows a similar educative process as Nell reading the Primer, where the allusions/parodies of computer science permeate the text (Castle of Duke Turing, etc.), the inclusion of different cultures (geographical, economic, and educational), where every single word means something and belongs in the text. And everything interweaves into a coherent whole you can't ever quite grasp.
That's what I mean! That intellectual "wow" factor.

Where the construction of the text seamlessly mirrors & supports the plot.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-05-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I would also recommend "Snow Crash" if you have not read it. I was really fascinated by the concept of memes as cultural viruses, and the possibility of inoculating a culture against them.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Loved Zodiac, Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon (and his pseudonym books The Cobweb and Interface)

Could not, can not, get thru The Baroque Cycle...I just don't get it. I love his writing style, there are historical characters, Enoch Root from Cryptonomicon, etc... Just can't even get thru the first book.

I have Anathem, but haven't been motivated to get into it either.

And Snow Crash is more cyber than steam, but is still a great read if you liked Diamond Age.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I actually really enjoyed The Baroque Cycle. I had read Cryptonomicon more than once, though, so I was prepared to work for it a little! This was back before I was reading e-books, so I have all of those books together in a bag. I've tried to get various family members to read them but I haven't found anybody yet with that level of commitment. I haven't even gotten anybody to read Cryptonomicon yet, for that matter. :-)

Have you read PrairyErth by William Least Heat-Moon? It's one of those deeply detailed books (although nonfiction) that grabs you and won't let go. I don't think it's available as an e-book yet, though.

Betty
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I actually really enjoyed The Baroque Cycle. I had read Cryptonomicon more than once, though, so I was prepared to work for it a little! This was back before I was reading e-books, so I have all of those books together in a bag. I've tried to get various family members to read them but I haven't found anybody yet with that level of commitment. I haven't even gotten anybody to read Cryptonomicon yet, for that matter. :-)

Have you read PrairyErth by William Least Heat-Moon? It's one of those deeply detailed books (although nonfiction) that grabs you and won't let go. I don't think it's available as an e-book yet, though.

Betty
I too have read Cryptonomicon multiple times - and enjoyed it! Will give the Baroque Cycle another chance - I now have them as ebooks.

PrairyErth looks marvelous! Thank you!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I will add another vote for Snow Crash. Yes, it's more *Cyber* than *Steampunk*, but it's a good read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Opinions vary. I put off reading the Baroque Cycle for years. I didn't like his ancestral-character chain idea in Cryptonomicon (otherwise a great book). However, I was completely sucked in by the Baroque Cycle. The adventures of half-cocked Jack are my favorite whimsical sub-stories and I can still vividly recall all of them, like the run-in with the Hexen leading to rising out of the phosphorescent pool. Still makes me chuckle.

But The Diamond Age is indeed densely layered. I'm thinking I got the same vibe from some of William Gibson's work like Pattern Recognition.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I loved the Baroque Cycle, although it takes a bit of patience to get into it. Anathem is also wonderful and equally challenging.

If you want stuff as layered as Stephenson, my suggestions are:

Gene Wolfe's series "The Urth of the New Sun"
Umberto Eco "The Name of the Rose"
Charles Palliser's "Quincunx" -- absolutely stunning, this one. Highly, highly rewarding.
Paul Park's "Soldiers of Paradise" -- available in all formats from fictionwise, though long out of print otherwise.
Michael Chabon's "The Yiddish Policemen's Union"
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Have you ever read Hal Duncan's Book of All Hours: Vellum. It has more of a mix of mythology and science, but it is very densely layered in a similar concept to Stephenson although the effect is somewhat different. Early on in the book, it reminded me slightly of Snow Crash, but that impression fades fast. Note that there's a second volume to it called Ink, and the first book ends a bit abruptly for some people's taste (though I didn't see it being an issue, myself).

I finished the first volume of the Baroque Cycle (it was the first book I bought for my Kindle!) and enjoyed it a lot, but it took me a long time to read, longer than his other works.

I personally do not recommend His Dark Materials; my wife didn't like it at all, and I found it a bit shallow for my taste. It's not terrible, but if you're not someone looking to poke a stick in the eye of religion (& in a wider sense, authority figures of every kind) with a serious mad-on about the matter, I don't think you'll find it worth the time.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote