Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Earthborn - a review

The last book in the "Homecoming Saga" and all I can say is WOW! What a book. What an amazing climax to the series. Even though this is the fifth book in a series, I do believe someone could read this book by itself and get a lot out of it. Frankly, I'd almost ASK for someone to read this book first if they were not the type to read a long sci fi series.

Unlike the first four books, this book has all new characters except for the Oversoul (a computer in the sky), Shedemi (a geneticist who wears the cloak of the star master which ties here to the Oversoul's computers and prolongs her life, which she also extends through long periods of hibernation). And the Keeper of the Earth, who was a vague mystery element in the previous books but takes center stage in this one.

Whereas the religious themes were present but not "in your face" in the other books, this one is a full out "this is what God is like" allegory. And it's a VERY well imagine and written one. Believers will be thrilled and inspired and heartened. However, I think there's plenty of honest treatment of the issues that will be attractive to unbelievers as well. Such as the following:

I don’t believe in a being who makes plans for us and gets angry when we don’t carry them out, who rejects some people because they don’t obey him quickly enough or don’t love their enemies better than they love their friends.

The book's themes dwell on racism, forgiveness, good vs. evil, love. The evil are not merely "just bad". The book does a great job of "justifying" why certain of the bad characters are the way they are. It does a wonderful job of showing how absurd some of the religious views our society holds as "normal" seem to those who don't hold them.

I will warn folks that this is one of those sci-fi books with the REALLY hard to understand names. It takes a while to get past that aspect and get into the story.

It's a work of fiction. But like "The Shack" -- it attempts to answer some of the really hard questions about God. If you aren't a believer -- you'll see your own views given a fair airing....even if, perhaps, you won't be thrilled with the end of the book....or you might just enjoy the fictional god of this book like you might enjoy any other fictional character.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote