Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
How To Correctly Format In Open Office ?

So I've been using open office for a while now to convert and take out boarders using a template I downloaded from this forum (which is great)
But I've been getting a lot of gaps in my books as pictured with some gray blocks when I paste them into open office.
So I guess there is an option to reformat the book and remove the gaps ?
Anybody point me in the right direction please
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Looks like they follow a fixed break/space patterning, so you can probably eliminate the vast majority simply with the replace command.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I've tried that, But how do I tell what to replace in the replace section as they are blank spaces ?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Some look like paragraph markers; others look like tabs. In your position, I'd experiment and see which find+replace commands work best.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
gargoyle67
Addict

Again I cannot use auto corrects replace feature because I can't tell it what to replace, If I drag the mouse over the gray and use the copy option it just shows as blank space when pasting into the replace box
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Again I cannot use auto corrects replace feature because I can't tell it what to replace, If I drag the mouse over the gray and use the copy option it just shows as blank space when pasting into the replace box
I think you'll find that if you open the document in Writer, then click on View, then on nonprinting characters (or just Ctrl+F10) you'll see the non printing characters and can select them.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
gargoyle67
Addict

Ok thanks for that Alex but I still get nothing when I paste into auto corrects
Replace box ?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Go to Find+replace on the edit menu. Click on "more options." Then experiment a bit.
Try clicking on "format" and edit the indents and spacing. Or click on "attributes" and search for "indent" or "page style".
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Ah, Open Office and the paragraph. OO has a quirk, inherited from UNIX. The newline character and the paragraph character are different. OO doesn't have a very flexible way of working with them in find and replace. MS Word is much better at this. I suggest trying something like doing a wild card find and replace on ^[space][space]$, where [space] is a spacebar character, with a blank line as the replacement. Then try Autocorrect or Autoformat again. YMMV.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
gargoyle67
Addict

Thanks Patricia & Jack, Got something a lot better than I had
before
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Ah, Open Office and the paragraph. OO has a quirk, inherited from UNIX. The newline character and the paragraph character are different. OO doesn't have a very flexible way of working with them in find and replace. MS Word is much better at this. I suggest trying something like doing a wild card find and replace on ^[space][space]$, where [space] is a spacebar character, with a blank line as the replacement. Then try Autocorrect or Autoformat again. YMMV.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Thanks, Jack, that's very useful. Can I ask if I may how you discovered ^[space][space]$ and if there is a list somewhere of similar expressions?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
May this page be useful?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Jack, that's very useful. Can I ask if I may how you discovered ^[space][space]$ and if there is a list somewhere of similar expressions?
It was never missing.

Having once learned various UNIX shells, scripts and regular expressions, they tend to stick with you. Sort of like mucus.

The reference in the above post is very good. Better than anything I have handy.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
gargoyle67
Addict

Well I've done two ebooks fiddling with the ndents\spacing\format options but the last two I tired to do just won't play ball, Anyone want to explain how the "^[space][space]$" command is suppose to work as I can't seem to get it to do anything in OO using regular expressions, Is it suppose to remove spaces or something
Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
^ is the start of line & $ is the end of line, so '^[sp][sp]$' is just looking for lines consisting of two spaces only.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote