Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Support on the PRS300/600 is exactly similar to 505/700:
- no justification
- 300k limit
- page number in the margin

They're working on this problem though, maybe a fix with a firmware update.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Support on the PRS300/600 is exactly similar to 505/700:
- no justification
- 300k limil
- page number in the margin

They're working on this problem though, maybe a fix with a firmware update.
Hello,

How do you know they are even -really- working, or about they to release a firmware update with these, among others, EPUB/ADE/Reader problems fixed?

And, only for 300/600, or also for 505/700 owners? Again the nowadays bye-bye to old users, devices and support?

Sorry, I don't try to blame you at all. Just Sony support and why they (as others) release and sell unfinished products and software. I would welcome very much such fixes, firmware releases, and some compromise or official note about this from a real Sony representative.

Thanks! Regards!

BTW: Congratulations and thank you to all Feedbooks people!

Last edited by jotas; 09-05-2009 at 12:37 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I don't have a 600 but I have tried a book (Tess of the d'Urbervilles) from Feedbooks to see if it works in Ebook Library 3 with full justification and it works. I don't remember seeing any books full justified in Ebook Library 2.
I think it should work on the 600. Can anybody confirm this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fulljustificationepub.png
Views:	266
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	36015  
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
I just loaded Tess of the d'Urbervilles (ePub from Feedbooks) onto my 300, and it is not fully justified.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliburd View Post
I don't have a 600 but I have tried a book (Tess of the d'Urbervilles) from Feedbooks to see if it works in Ebook Library 3 with full justification and it works. I don't remember seeing any books full justified in Ebook Library 2.
Ebook Library 2 emulated the PRS-505 and then the PRS-700. So it did not support full justification.

Ebook Library 3 appears to be an implementation of the latest mobile ADE for the Desktop. It supports full justification and color images and Soft Hyphens. Unfortunately, all Sony Readers are stuck with the original release of mobile ADE from a year ago.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
I think it should work on the 600. Can anybody confirm this?
eBook Library 3.0 showed justification, moved it to my PRS-700 and had ragged right edge.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Why is so difficult for Sony to make full justification in their readers?!
I'm waiting for my 600 and I was hopping I can finaly switch to EPUB. I am using only PDF books right now. I just can't read left justified books.

I was wondering: can EPUB use footnotes?
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
600 not justified.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #24
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotas View Post
By the way,

here: http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...&postorder=asc

You can view a justified EPUB from Feedbooks:

1) By ADE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3506/...c6ea91ac_o.png

2) By Lbook firwmare (Cool Reader viewer) running over an Hanlin V3 clone, font set to Arial, size 26, no hyphenation (can be set to on). Lbook does not work well for complex or long ePub files, anyway, just for sample: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/...c970a5b2fd.jpg

3) Using ADE over latest official firmware for Hanlin V3. The ADE support is ugly, very basic, very few options and only four and bad scaled zoom levels, but...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/...e47f52fca7.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/...3a2f5c4fb5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/...af32ecda0b.jpg

So, yes, I think Sony can do it, definitely.
Just so you know, not that I personally care, those flickr links are violating flickr TOS, you have to link to the actual flickr page for images. If they notice it, they will move those images to a different farm and put up warning placeholders I think.

Just a friendly fyi.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Why is so difficult for Sony to make full justification in their readers?!
I'm waiting for my 600 and I was hopping I can finaly switch to EPUB. I am using only PDF books right now. I just can't read left justified books.

I was wondering: can EPUB use footnotes?
I've never seen an ePub book with footnotes; most use endnotes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can anyone confirm whether or not the limitations of ePub support in the PRS-505/700 have been removed in the new devices? Does it now display fully justified text, and support "flows" >300k in size within an ePub book?
I don't like fully justified text as it is harder to scan/read -- unless it's done right as it print publications. It certainly wasn't done right on the Pocket Pro.

I certainly wouldn't call that a limitation, but I would prefer the ability to enable or disable full justification if it IS included in the particular EPUB implementation.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to have the option of switching them off, but I don't personally regard them as a problem.
Agreed. It was one of the first things I noticed on my reader. My understanding is that is is a part of the EPUB format. (but that's doesn't mean they couldn't be user-enable-able).

The bothersomeness is also dependent on the margin settings as to whether the numbers overlap the text or not...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Agreed. It was one of the first things I noticed on my reader. My understanding is that is is a part of the EPUB format.
No, it's just a feature of ADE.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
No, it's just a feature of ADE.
Thanks for the clarification. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen them in the Calibre reader/viewer but did see them on the Sony and the Aztak -- but both of those use ADE for the EPUB I presume....

I still have a bit to learn in this brave new world.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, all the eInk devices use ADE to display ePub files. I've grown to like the marginal page numbers personally, because they mark a specific point in the text which does not vary with text size, fonts, devices, or anything else. My page 50 will be the same as your page 50, even if I'm reading on a CyBook Opus and you on a Sony PRS-505. Provided that a small right margin is left for the display of the page number (I use 13pt in my ePubs), I find them wholly unobjectionable.