Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
bookeater
bookeater began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Can you read Google PDF files on your reader?

I have a Jetbook. After a month of agonizing efforts I have to conclude it will not properly display the public domain books at
http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&tab=wp

It was suggested in the Jetbook forum that no reader will display these books.
The reason being they are scanned document and not text.

So the question.
Are you successfully reading books from this site? No funny pages? No shut downs?

If yes, what reader are you using?
bookeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookeater View Post
So the question.
Are you successfully reading books from this site? No funny pages? No shut downs?

If yes, what reader are you using?
I just tried & the Sony 505's capable of displaying the PDF version of "Treasure Island" although there I noticed that on the scan of the map (pg 13?) then it only displays the text that shows in black, leaving out the map and text in grey.

The story pages are readable, however.

Note that the other commenters in that thread said they won't display 'well', which is a consequence of the size of the PDF 'page' and the size of the typical reader display, rather than saying they won't display at all. If you intend to read PDFs much, consider one of the readers with larger displays as the 6" displays are often marginal for PDF viewing.

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-09-2010 at 05:35 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
bookeater
bookeater began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I just tried & the Sony 505's capable of displaying the PDF version of "Treasure Island" although there I noticed that on the scan of the map (pg 13?) then it only displays the text that shows in black, leaving out the map and text in grey.

The story pages are readable, however.

Note that the other commenters in that thread said they won't display 'well', which is a consequence of the size of the PDF 'page' and the size of the typical reader display, rather than saying they won't display at all. If you intend to read PDFs much, consider one of the readers with larger displays as the 6" displays are often marginal for PDF viewing.
Thanks for the info. I ran into instructions to resize the pages for a Sony. That might help, but as long as I can get the text, that would be fine.
I tried doing that with the files in the Jetbook and it added a back page after every real page.
I'll definitely try the Sony 505.
bookeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Google PDFs are normal pdf files so it won't be different to the 'normal ones'.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
RKanarek
RKanarek began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek AEBK01F ...
Well designed PDF viewer?

Greetings.

Aside: The sad part is not that I’m replying to this tread nearly two years late. The sad part is that, by my standards, my reply is almost prompt. ;-)

While Google PDFs--and other similar PDFs--are “normal PDFs,” they aren’t typical PDFs. They are little more than photo albums masquerading as PDFs, although, as I understand it, newer (to me) Google book PDFs also include poor quality OCR-generated text behind the photos.

This brings me to my question: Are there any ereaders that have quality PDF-viewers that can make at least some Google scanned books readable?

Until a recent mishap involving gravity and a concrete floor, I was using an Aluratek AEBK01F ereader. Its 5” screen made it very poorly suited for reading scanned-book PDFs, but it *could* have sufficed for some scanned books if its PDF viewer had been better. If I could have zoomed the pages as needed (instead of in fixed increments), if it would have allows me to scroll continuously down through the entire PDF, and if it would have allowed me to scroll horizontally AND kept the position even as I went from page to page, it would have been great(er). It doesn’t, not even with the “V0.20i, V20” (ca. November, 2011) version of its firmware. Do any other ereaders have better PDF viewing software?

Thanks in advance!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
RKanarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

For reading image pdf’s (even with text under the image), and any other pdf (I would say) not designed for a 5 or 6 inch screen, one does need a eBook reader with a bigger screen, were one can see and read the full page (more or less)

Today, the offer is restricted almost just to the Kindke Dxg and the PocketBook 902/903.

If one goes with the tablets (the screen is not eInk) - per example the 10 inch ones -, the readability of pdf’s grows exponentially, as one can easily zoom in and out of parts of the page. The down side is, the almost no use under strong outside sun.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote