Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Screen fading NOT in the sun

I'm aware of the "fading in the sun" issue that others have reported, and I've also experienced it, both with the K2 that I had previously, as well as the 505 I have now. But over the weekend my 505 started showing a distinctly faded text while I was reading inside. I just had the regular light on in the living room (not full-spectrum or anything strange) and everything was fine. Then I hit the page-turn button and the next page had lighter text, like the sun had been on it. I paged back, to see if the page that had previously been fine was affected, and it, too, had the lighter text. This went on for about 15 pages, then the text returned to normal. That's been happening off and on now ever since.

Any ideas? The battery was showing 2-3 bars while this was happening. I'm charging it now to see if it also occurs with a full charge.

Thanks.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Never personally come across this in sun or whatever.

Is it just the one book or more? if so it sounds like you need to contact Sony.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also try re-setting your reader with a paper clip in the back. Don't know if it'll help at all, but it can't hurt!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I was really hoping it was just one gunked-up file, but it's happened on several books now.

Unfortunately, I purchased my 505 (new) from a private seller on eBay. I'll try calling Sony, though I doubt I'll get anywhere. I'll also do the paper clip thing.

Thanks again. Any other ideas - keep 'em comin'!
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Perhaps there's a problem with your reader. My impression of the screen fade phenomenon is that it's caused by heat, not necessarily light. I've also had the screen get darker when it's cold (<40°F). Any chance you have extremely hot hands?
If your device is still under warranty, and the fade is still happening periodically (if not permanently), I think this might be a job for Sony.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert