Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
CChamp
CChamp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
PSP Charger??

I have read in a few threads that it is OK to use a Sony PSP wall charger to charge the 505. Is this alright to do? I certainly don't want to burn up or ruin anything.

Thanks
CChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
apparently it's even recommended ; it will charge faster, and you can read while it's charging, which you can't do when charging via usb.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yes, it works. I actually picked two up at Target for $7.50 on clearance, and they were the Sony branded ones. I would swing by their store (it's not available online) and see if they still have it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the only difference is that the PSP chargers are 5.0 volts and the PRS ones are 5.2

it makes no difference in the long run.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
CChamp

I have a couple of PSP's and chargers here at home so will have to give it a try. Someone said that the PSP chargers are 5.0 and the Reader is 5.2, does that mean that the charging will take longer?

Thanks for all the replys
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChamp View Post
I have a couple of PSP's and chargers here at home so will have to give it a try. Someone said that the PSP chargers are 5.0 and the Reader is 5.2, does that mean that the charging will take longer?

Thanks for all the replys
No, they actually charge it faster than via USB from what I hear.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
5.0 or 5.2 is not much difference for charging time.
Most of power supply is based on no load voltage.
When you plug it into devices, It will frop to some valuw and coul depend on internal charger design.
Make sure it can supply enough current for specification,
If you have AC-to-USB adapter and can find USB-to-DC jack for SONY, It is the best for simultaneouly charging and readinf, because plugging to USB will cause the PRS505 to charging mode only.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Galileo961
Galileo961 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
for this kind of battery, for the firsts few recharging is recommanded to use the USB (slow charge) then after 4-6 charges a standalone charger (rapid charge).
Galileo961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
CChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo961 View Post
for this kind of battery, for the firsts few recharging is recommanded to use the USB (slow charge) then after 4-6 charges a standalone charger (rapid charge).
Does anyone know if this is true? Again, I don't want to ruin anything.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CChamp View Post
Does anyone know if this is true? Again, I don't want to ruin anything.
I pretty much ignore everything I see about lith-ion batteries. You find pretty much every best practice on one article is contradicted in another, if not in the same one.

I just plug the thing in when it is low and I have time or the charger is near by or USB whatever. My feeling is the differences in battery life and longevity will be extremely minor based on when you charge it, for how long, etc. Life is to short for me to worry about it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Sanity check question....

When charging the prs-505 through an AC charger, does the LED on the top of the unit glow red as it does when charging via USB to computer? (I am not attempting to charge from a completely flat battery. Nor is it a fully charged one.)

Reason I am asking is that I've tried using two different AC chargers and neither one causes the LED to go red. One charger is for a Razr cell phone and the other is the one that came with my Cybook. I know that both chargers are working with their own devices.

-many thanks,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Sanity check question....

When charging the prs-505 through an AC charger, does the LED on the top of the unit glow red as it does when charging via USB to computer? (I am not attempting to charge from a completely flat battery. Nor is it a fully charged one.)

Reason I am asking is that I've tried using two different AC chargers and neither one causes the LED to go red. One charger is for a Razr cell phone and the other is the one that came with my Cybook. I know that both chargers are working with their own devices.

-many thanks,

Jeff

The 505 doesn't not actually charge via AC with the same socket as the USB does. It's the yellow one to the left, I think. It is marked AC though.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
When charging the prs-505 through an AC charger, does the LED on the top of the unit glow red as it does when charging via USB to computer?
Yes - in addition, when charging via the barrel connector rather than via USB you can keep reading and you should see a "lightning" symbol on the status bar between the battery & the font size indicator.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Ahhh...I was not clear. I am using an AC charger for my Razr that uses a USB connector to the reader. Same for the Cybook charger.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ahhh...I was not clear. I am using an AC charger for my Razr that uses a USB connector to the reader. Same for the Cybook charger.

-Jeff
Yes, that will not work. The AC adapter slot for the reader is not the same one that it uses for the USB.

Check the pic below