Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #21586
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Before I got neutered,
See? THAT is why I said 'spayed.' I didn't get neutered. (I pray Tom didn't either!) We just got seed delivery stopped. To me, 'neutered' brings to (my) mind the fat, bald eunuchs who guarded the harem. I didn't want to guard the harem... I wanted to raid it! I wanted to be able to sow my wild oats, but still be sure of a crop failure!

Quote:
everyone told me of how sore they'd been after the operation. I got the operation and was back at work the next day lifting, walking, and doing all the things I normally did; all the while thinking smugly about what wimps other men were who had had vasectomies.
I was one of those wimps. I walked like a saddle-sore cowboy after a hard trail ride, and stepping down from a street curb (and bouncing) made my eyes water. No work or play for me! But only for about two days. But then, by the 3-4th day, like Tom, it was as if I were growing cactus in my shorts! Yowee! And back at work by then, my boss spent most of his day rolling on the floor laughing...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #21587
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
See? THAT is why I said 'spayed.' I didn't get neutered. (I pray Tom didn't either!) ...
Of course the operation didn't really 'neuter' me. It took 40 years of marriage to do that!

To my darling wife: You know I'm joking, baby! Love you! All the muches in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
...I was one of those wimps. I walked like a saddle-sore cowboy after a hard trail ride, and stepping down from a street curb (and bouncing) made my eyes water. No work or play for me! But only for about two days. But then, by the 3-4th day, like Tom, it was as if I were growing cactus in my shorts! ...
Amazingly, I hardly felt any discomfort at all those first two days, but the third made up for it in spades. I really paid the price for acting as if I were Superman those first two days. Had I known then what I know now, I would have scheduled a week off work and stayed in bed the whole time; pain or no pain.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #21588
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Of course the operation didn't really 'neuter' me. It took 40 years of marriage to do that!

To my darling wife: You know I'm joking, baby! Love you! All the muches in the world!
So... where are YOU sleeping tonight? The couch or the doghouse? BTW, you owe me a keyboard...

Quote:
Amazingly, I hardly felt any discomfort at all those first two days, but the third made up for it in spades. I really paid the price for acting as if I were Superman those first two days. Had I known then what I know now, I would have scheduled a week off work and stayed in bed the whole time; pain or no pain.
My best friend was ready to sue the surgeon. He virtually could not move off the couch for almost three weeks. Swollen like a softball. He didn't resume normal movement for more than two months! I was able to function normally with just tenderness right at the incision sites by about the 6-7th day, but he was in agony. And we both used the same surgeon! Different strokes for different folks. (No pun intended.)

Stitchawl
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #21589
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've decided to start read Karin Slaughter's books again. I've read the first three or four of her Grant County series books and liked them a lot. I just checked what she has released since and she does manage to complicate things! After her Grant County series she started writing the Will Trent series, after a couple of books she combines the two series in the Georgia series. However, she still writes Will Trent books!

This makes deciding what order to read them complicated. I've decided that I combine all three series in the Georgia (Grant County/Will Trent) series for myself and number and read them in order of publication.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #21590
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I Hate the Mall
(A rant sung to the tune of "We Three Kings")

Weary shoppers thats what we are.
Searching for a spot for the car.
Speed bump and pothole, all slots are still full
I should quit now and head for the bar!

O Mall of Horror, Mall of Dread
Shoppers shuffle like the Undead
Bah! bricks and mortar, next year I'll order
All gifts online instead!

Car is parked, we're staring aghast,
Zombie-like horde is exceedingly vast.
Last year we swore, we'd do this no more.
With luck this trip will be our last!

Shoppers shuffle like the undead

Girding loins, we enter the fray.
Body-checking those in our way.
To ones who dare linger, we give the finger!
Cross us and we'll make you pay!

Shoppers shuffle like the undead

Toy Department, no orderly line.
Braindead people wallow like swine!
Fingers grab me, elbows jab me,
But the "Tickle Me Elmo" is mine!

Perfume Counter - spritzed in the eyes!
Allergies start to arise!
Puffy and crying, wish I was dying,
A Scuba mask may have been wise.

The internet may indeed save me time,
Give sanity and peace so sublime.
But cause I'm Canuck, I'm out of luck
I can't get Amazon Prime.

Bah! bricks and mortar, I swear that I'll order
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #21591
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
So...

We went to get a live tree to put up this past weekend. I mean, really, between 2-3 weeks before Christmas is normal for a live tree, right? Well, the tree lots had slim pickings and we asked about their next shipment. The answer: "No, our Christmas ordering is over with."

What? Christmas ordering is over with? And not just live trees. Lights and other Christmas decorations are almost non-existent in any of our local stores. We were driven by desperation to actually go in a Wal-Mart. What did we find there? The netting lights you throw over the bushes in your front yard. That was it.

We finally located some lights for our tree to replace the old and worn strands from prior years, but only after a long day of searching. And we were not the only ones. There were many others pretty much hopping from store-to-store along with us on our search.

You know what? If the stores would not put out all of their Christmas merchandise before Halloween they wouldn't have to watch it just sit on the shelves for nearly two months and then they might be willing to order extra when the Christmas Season actually arrives!!!!

* pant, pant *

Whew, I'm OK. I'm OK.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #21592
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yeah it is more than annoying trying to do any shopping for things like lights and village pieces this time of year.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #21593
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yeah it is more than annoying trying to do any shopping for things like lights and village pieces this time of year.
When we still sold a lot of Christmas lights in our store we did sell them all year around (between December 27 and December 6 the next year we call them party lights) but not until the 6th of December we would put them in a prominent place in the store. On December 5 we celebrate Sinterklaas in the Netherlands (and Belgium), it used to be that most stores would wait with their Christmas department until after that. Nowadays the Christmas departments open late August or early September. Mind you you can buy pepernoten (Sinterklaas treat) in August, too nowadays, by the time it's Sinterklaas you've eaten so many pepernoten you're sick and tired of them!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #21594
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Looking at the peprtnoten recipe, they look like what we would call "ginger snaps". I remember my grandmother (German speaking Pole) baking ginger snaps at Christmas time.

Thanks, you bring back fond memories of eating Grandma’s ginger snaps by the dozens with cold milk.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #21595
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Interesting. There's a Pennsylvania brand of Ginger Snaps that I like (I don't find them near Chicago) but they sell them as a Halloween item, and rarely at other times of the year.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #21596
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

What I called pepernoten are actually kruidnoten. Pepernoten are more chewy and kruidnoten are crunchy. However, everybody, including most manufacturers calls kruidnoten pepernoten. Pepernoten (and speculaas) are most similar to gingerbread.

I personally prefer kruidnoten, I do like pepernoten but they are often too big a chunks to eat easily.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #21597
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Hey!
Can we have some real ranting and venting in this here Rant and Vent Thread?!?

There have been at least 3-4 posts with no ranting or venting whatsoever!
This makes me verrrry angrrrrrry!!!!!

Can't a man get his portion of (other people's) ranting in peace? What's with all the nostalgia and the biscuits? I'm sure these can go in the "I vote Bambi for President" thread (I'm sure there must be one).

Please keep this thread for the good social purpose for which it was made! I want to see anger! I want to see bitterness! I want to see rage!
Aaargghhh! B^&***!"£LF**k :furious3 :

Phew... now that's better... how about some biscuits?
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #21598
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
A bit of a vent then! Since the blokes here are getting personal on this thread I thought I'd share my experience with the SNIP.

When I had it done I drove down to the clinic, was told by a couple of nurses to drop my dacks and jump on the table. They then started to do the deed under a local all the while catching up on their gossip which I was becoming a part of and when I joined in one of them said to me not to get smart while they had what they had in their hands.
All done they told me to get dressed and said I might need it pick up some aspirin on the way home.

Back to work the next day. Although with a pronounced wide stride.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #21599
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Back to work the next day. Although with a pronounced wide stride.
I'll bet that should be spelled wiiiiiiiiiiide stride....

Did you guys get a signed paper on the Doctor's stationary stating that the procedure was performed? The surgeon gave me one of his prescription forms with the statement on it. But then, I was a bachelor when I had mine done. I wonder if he thought I might need it in case of some future paternity suit?

Stitchawl
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #21600
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
A bit of a vent then! Since the blokes here are getting personal on this thread I thought I'd share my experience with the SNIP.
I have the world's greatest TRUE STORY to tell about the testing procedure, but can't, because—if not actually violating our family-friendly/work-safe rules—it most certainly comes right up to the line.

Of course, if anyone's interested, I don't suppose a PM would be out-of-bounds.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-11-2012 at 08:42 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness