Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I bought a basic Kindle a year ago on sale, and I take it with me everywhere. I don't worry about leaving it in the car, reading in sub-zero temperatures while waiting for the bus, leaving it on the beach when I go for a swim, etc. With a cover, it really is pretty knock-around (maybe not kick around).
I have a K4 (black) as a kick around (and bathroom reader, lol!). With a decent cover it can take a licking and still keep ticking, lol!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
I used the black Kindle Basic for a year and a half and was very happy with it. Its really light and has a better screen than any of the other non Paperwhite devices IMO. Definitely worth $49 if you can get it at that price.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I also have a kick around black kindle 4 (and a paperwhite 2 for home reading).

The kindle 4 gets taken to work, left in pockets, etc and has stood up very well. It's pretty hardy with a case.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I bought one back in April. It's been a great these last several months. I've been carrying it nearly everywhere I go. It's the perfect size. I thought the lack of a keyboard might be a problem but the text entry with the 5 way button seems really well designed and quick and easy to use. I'm very satisfied with it.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I'm thinking about getting the $69 Kindle as a device to carry for reading on the road, on the subway, sitting in waiting rooms and standing in lines. I'm curious what thoughts and advice others might have. I love my old Kindle greatly and use it all the time but would rather not bring it with me into situations where it might get broken, lost, or stolen.
What do you mean by the phrase "kick around" device?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
It's kind of moot at this point but by "kick around" I meant a device I'm not going to be terribly upset if it got broken, lost, or stolen. Essentially a device I'd feel absolutely no reticence about taking out and about me on long walks, on public transportation, and so on. The requirements for this are it be relatively inexpensive to replace and reasonably durable enough to survive the jarring and jostling anything carried on my person is going to suffer from time to time. The Basic Kindle in the m-cover case I got for it has pretty much proven sufficient in the months I've had it.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
"Kick around" is not actually applied to the Kindle, it's what the OP is doing when he carries the Kindle.

As in ...

Quote:
[INTRANSITIVE/TRANSITIVE] kick around (something) if people are kicking around, or kicking around a place, they are in that place without any definite plans
Two friends and I decided to kick around the beach for a few days.
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/u...an/kick-around
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #23
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I use my basic kindle for on the go, and when my primary needs to be charged. I find it convenient to use two kindles instead of just one. Also if I forget my basic kindle at work, I don't have to drive back just to read at home.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote