Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
stevehuth
stevehuth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Books "In Library" and "On Device" but not linked

Mac OS X, Calibre 0.8.60, Kindle 3

I have just under 1000 books on my Kindle. Starting with an empty Calibre library I imported all the books from my Kindle to Calibre. This seemed to work fine. However, the next time I started Calibre and hooked up my Kindle to the computer, I noticed that 158 books do not have the green checkbox that they are "In Library" (if looking at the Device books list), or "On Device" (if looking at the Library list). Puzzled, I tried to re-import one of the books from the device and got the error that a book with the same title already existed in the library and asked if I wanted to import it. If I do so, I now have 2 copies of the book in my library, one of which it shows as on the device, the other just on it's own. HOWEVER, if I then eject the Kindle, exit Calibre, then reconnect the Kindle and start Calibre again, once again the book is "de-linked", for lack of a better term. I have 2 copies in the library, but Calibre doesn't think either on is on the device.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?
stevehuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This thread discusses how "on device" works.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
stevehuth

Thanks. Very helpful. I did search for related topics but I missed that one.

It sounds like the best way to get them fixed is to delete everything from the Kindle, then have Calibre send to device so the UUID matches. I was going to do that for a ton of books anyway (renaming the titles so I can see series order). I wonder what that will do to Kindle trying to update a file when they fix typos and such? Not that that happens often.

Thanks again,
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuth View Post
Thanks. Very helpful. I did search for related topics but I missed that one.

It sounds like the best way to get them fixed is to delete everything from the Kindle, then have Calibre send to device so the UUID matches. I was going to do that for a ton of books anyway (renaming the titles so I can see series order). I wonder what that will do to Kindle trying to update a file when they fix typos and such? Not that that happens often.

Thanks again,
Are you aware of the fact that any Kindle drm infested books in your calibre library will only work with the Kindle reader you imported the books from. So your library once you fixed the metadata etc will be useless if you have to change your kindle or want to use another device.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
stevehuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Are you aware of the fact that any Kindle drm infested books in your calibre library will only work with the Kindle reader you imported the books from. So your library once you fixed the metadata etc will be useless if you have to change your kindle or want to use another device.
Yes I am aware. Should it become a problem (whenever this Kindle dies) I'm also aware there are ways around it.
Advert