Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo
Oh Boy! Am I impressed?

This Calibre software keeps surprising me. A few minutes ago my neighbouring farmer rushed over to borrow some books as he flies off to the Phillipines in the morning for two weeks. He had actually warned me earlier that he might rush in this evening and I'd thrown a few files into a new library in Calibre so that I could find them quickly.

Problem was that the neighbour has a Kindle and I have a Kobo. I had a few files that had both mobi and epub formats so, being as green as grass myself, I asked him how he loaded books onto his Kindle and did they accept the cover pic and the metadata? He didn't know! "What's that?" Turns out he hasn't used the reader for the past 18 months and then only read one book with it. I decided I was just going to drag and drop them, but some would not co-operate.

Fired up Calibre, which immediately showed the Kindle was plugged in, even though it was initially set up for the Kobo. I selected a batch of books from the new library and hit the button for load to device. Most loaded okay, but Calibre threw up a message asking if I wanted to convert some files to the correct format. Clicked yes and it automatically created mobi files where previously there must have only been an epub in the folder, and loaded them onto the Kindle. Obviously I'd missed converting a few of the books to mobi format.

How idiot proof can software get? We checked the files on the Kindle - all there and readable. Five minutes and he was out the door and heading home with a grin from ear to ear and a Kindle that needed charging before he jumped on that plane.

Thanks guys.

Dale
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
You can thank kovidgoyal with a donation.
Spur52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert