Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My entire Hackintosh computer slows down when my kindle 2 is plugged in!

hi everyone. i have a big problem with this kindle. every time i plugged up my K2 the computer slows down, locks up, and doesnt detect the kindle at times. i dunno whats going on with it. i thought it was the savory and ss hack but i removed them and it worked fine. i have a homemade hackintosh. when i plugg it to my real mac it works perfectly. this started happening recently and i dont know what could cause it. as soon as i remove my kindle by disconnecting the wire, without ejecting cuz it just locks up, everything returns back to normal. whats the deal with this thing?
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Since the Kindle works fine with your actual Mac, I would think the problem is with the Hackintosh and not the Kindle. Maybe a driver issue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What Daffy said. Ensure you have to correct USB/Chipset drivers/kexts installed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
GreatBear
GreatBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader
I had a similar problem w/ my K1 and a nice new iMac. I found the following in the forums and it solved my problem. Maybe you should try it?

According to Scotty1024:

OK, I think I figured it out.

I've only hooked my Kindle 2 up via USB to a Mac Pro at home.

At Home I'm not running 10.4 or 10.5.

At Work I'm running 10.5.

I hooked up the Kindle 2 via USB to my Mac Pro at work and all hell broke loose.

The culprit is Spotlight. It is sucking down all your Kindle's bandwidth creating a Spotlight index of all the content on the Kindle. I'm researching how to club Spotlight over the head and keep it off the Kindle but for now it's definitely a problem (unless you aren't using 10.4 or 10.5).

UPDATE: Go to the Spotlight control panel's Privacy tab and drag the Kindle's icon from Finder into the panel. This will create a file on the Kindle that marks it as "Do No Spotlight This Device!" If you ever notice a directory on the Kindle named .Spotlight-V100 don't delete it! That's where the file is stored, in that directory.
GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote