Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
codydavis22
codydavis22 began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD 2
CHM to epub

Do I need to convert a CHM to an HTML with before I can use calibre to create an epub? I tried converting a CHM directly to epub in calibre but the only thing that was converted properly was the TOC. The rest was all code of some sort. I searched around here but haven't found this specific answer.
codydavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CHM files, like most of Microsoft's children are a mess. Some will work some wont. For those that don't, you can try using other software to convert it to HTML first.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
codydavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
CHM files, like most of Microsoft's children are a mess. Some will work some wont. For those that don't, you can try using other software to convert it to HTML first.
Ok, thanks for the quick response. Any free programs you recommend to do that with?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont use chm personally, but a quick google will get you a few names.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
codydavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont use chm personally, but a quick google will get you a few names.
Thanks. Another question....I have converted some to the epub format and downloaded their metadata.....then i pulled it into the itunes book section but itunes doesn't treat it very friendly. You can't see anything about the file except it's name and itunes won't open it. Once transferred to an ipad will this change? Or will the ipad treat the file just as itunes on my pc does?
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydavis22 View Post
Thanks. Another question....I have converted some to the epub format and downloaded their metadata.....then i pulled it into the itunes book section but itunes doesn't treat it very friendly. You can't see anything about the file except it's name and itunes won't open it. Once transferred to an ipad will this change? Or will the ipad treat the file just as itunes on my pc does?
Do you use the recommended Connect to iTunes feature? Read this sticky post for more info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
codydavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Do you use the recommended Connect to iTunes feature? Read this sticky post for more info.
Ok, I checked out that sticky and it was nice but I don't have my ipad yet so i'm just getting my books ready for when I do get it. I will use itunes to transfer the books and I will connect calibre with itunes but I just want to make sure that all the metadata that I download through calibre will stay with the epub files after they are transfered to the device.....ie the book covers show up in ibooks. Itunes doesn't seem to keep this information which makes me think that the ipad will lose it too.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydavis22 View Post
I will connect calibre with itunes
Use the Connect to iTunes feature to transfer books to iTunes (now) and you will see how well the metadata is transferred during that process.

The covers are set in the book during conversion and iBooks should see them fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
iTunes won't open epub files, you can only read them on the iPad. If you right-click on the book in iTunes and select "Get Info" you should see what metadata iTunes has for the book. I transfer to my iPad with Calibre and it fills in what metadata it can just fine. Not everything you enter in Calibre can be displayed in iTunes but it should still all be there in Calibre.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote