Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
nook color or kindle 3 I have both. Must return one.

I really can't afford both, but I have a nook color and a kindle 3 sitting here. One needs to be returned. The kindle is the wifi only version due to it being significantly cheaper than the 3g version.

Such very different devices. Both have pros and cons.
Let me explain what I do. I read books on occasion, but when I do I READ. So for example I will get the itch, go the book store find a good book in a series and then read for weeks 3 to 4 hours a day until the series is done. Then I won't read again for a while.

The nook color has a really nice screen. Navigation is a pleasure. I love the finger swiping for page turns. The color is nice, and sepia background at 20% brightness looks really good. However, the glow bugs me a bit. Also the strobing from the modulation of leds is somewhat bothersome at certain settings. The weight is such that I must put in on my leg to read as my hand doesn't want to hold it for an extended period. The battery life is sad. 8 hours with wifi off and brightness low. The extra features are awesome. Surfing is great, the ability to root and get a tablet is very nice (though battery life is not good for long term use this way).

The kindle does nothing. However, with a san serif font, and good lighting this is pleasure to read on. I do not like the buttons though. I feel the page turn buttons are less than stellar. The clicky is annoying. The black to white thing is a bit distracting though I find it becomes acceptable with reading time. This device is just easy on the eyes and a good read. I find myself able to read without thinking about settings. That makes it ideal for an anal retentive guy like me. But the device feels limited to some extent. Part of me says this is perfect for a reader and part of me has issue with spending $140 for a device if this is all it does.

Anyway I like both in there own way. Both have pros and cons. I must return one and honestly am tempted to return both to wait for the next thing. But I feel I want to keep one.

Help?
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sounds like the devices aren't for you. You're fortunate to be able to test drive both, though you're comparing an apple and an orange. If you're tempted to return both, go with your gut feeling. Why did you feel compelled to buy those two and not something else?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I've found my Kindle is far more dependable than my NC, (it's really glitchy), and for me personally I can read easier and longer on my Kindle (I eat books for breakfast lunch and dinner with that thing!). I haven't been able to finish a book on my NC, but I do love it for magazines! It sounds like you have similar issues as I do since you said it bothers your eyes a little, that wont go away, unfortunately. The kindle does seem limited when you compare it to the NookColor, but you need to know what you really expect in the device.
I havent rooted my NC yet, simply because I don't know what the point of having it be able to go on the internet when I can only do it in Wifi areas. I'm not out by myself in enough locations (airport? Coffeshops?) that having a tablet device with wifi only would be convenient, and I have my laptop at home. I also haven't figured out what exactly a rooted NC can do that my non-rooted can't, though, so I may be missing something big.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
So, if I understand correctly, you prefer reading an e-ink screen... but you still would like to have all the nifty bells and whistles of a color tablet?

If you only read occasionally, I agree that the Kindle (or any other dedicated e-reader) is a bit too expensive. If you decide to stick with the Kindle, I suggest upgrading to the 3G... $50 for lifetime internet is a bargain. The web browser isn't the greatest, but it's nice to have in an emergency. But really, it doesn't sound like it's the right reader for you.

What about purchasing a less expensive e-ink reader for occasional reading, and saving up for a full-functioning Android tablet for all the fun features and apps? Prices on electronics are always dropping, especially when the next year's model is introduced. Or if you buy through your mobile phone carrier, you can usually get a subsidized price.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Based on what you say, does not like you read magazines or color books. If majority of books you like and read are novels or pure text books, you should return the Nook Color and won't miss it. The Kindle 3 is less expensive and will do exactly the same: let you read a novel. Kindle is also lighter and easier to use for long reading sessions. As long as you have proper light, it works awesome.

For a better price, you can check on ebay or even used Kindles at Amazon. Lot of people find that such devices are not what they were expecting so you can find good deals easily!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Do you have a local library that has free e-books for checkout using the 'Overdrive' service?

Overdrive now uses mainly EPUB formated books with Adobe DRM to enforce the checkout time limits and protect the copyrighted materials.

The Nooks, Sonys, and most other e-book readers handle this seamlessly.

The Kindles don't handle it at all (though some get around this by stripping off the DRM and converting to a format that Kindles can read).

I REALLY like my local libraries Overdrive services, and having quick easy access to those services without having to skirt the law is important to me, so the Kindle simply wasn't an option.

Through Overdrive I have access to almost 700 EPUB e-book titles available for free download. Like any library book, you may have to put in a request to reserve a popular title, but you can do that right from the web, and be automatically notified when the title becomes available.

If you don't want to wait, you can also direct the Overdrive advanced search to only show titles that are currently available . I have stumbled onto some wonderful titles from authors that I had never read before. Remember, the thing about librarians is that they KNOW BOOKS. Nothing better than surfing through Overdrives electronic shelves and stumbling onto a hidden treasure.

Last edited by delphin; 02-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
It's too bad you can't keep both, I have the nook classic and the nook color and they compliment each other fantastic. overall i actually enjoy reading better on my nook color mine, like most, is not glitchy, to Belle2Be if your's is glitchy then why not just swap out for a new one? Lemons are found in every electronic devices and products.

But to the OP I would weigh in how much more do you use one over the other. If I were you, it sounds like you would have more use for the 'extra" fun stuff you can use on the nook color more, so I would return the Kindle,(personally the whole button and layout of that device screams 1990's) and just wait for a while when you can afford to have another eink reader. Prices will come down and heck you keep an eye out the Kobo which is decent eink reader makes a solid budget choice, which I'm willing to bet will be below $100 before the end of spring.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Return them both, wait a few days, and see which one you miss the most.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
It's too bad you can't keep both, I have the nook classic and the nook color and they compliment each other fantastic. overall i actually enjoy reading better on my nook color mine, like most, is not glitchy, to Belle2Be if your's is glitchy then why not just swap out for a new one? Lemons are found in every electronic devices and products.

But to the OP I would weigh in how much more do you use one over the other. If I were you, it sounds like you would have more use for the 'extra" fun stuff you can use on the nook color more, so I would return the Kindle,(personally the whole button and layout of that device screams 1990's) and just wait for a while when you can afford to have another eink reader. Prices will come down and heck you keep an eye out the Kobo which is decent eink reader makes a solid budget choice, which I'm willing to bet will be below $100 before the end of spring.
+1 to this post.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Not a bad idea at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Until you root the Nook Color, you don't know what you have. The NC is a much more useful device when rooted. I recently reverted mine to stock config. & felt like it was very limited & basically a feature rich e-reader. After re-rooting I am happy again. BTW Battery life is essentially the same rooted or stock. I know that it's hard to know how you will use a device but as far as the NC, you haven't begun to sample it's potential, so you really have not taken it for a spin.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Grimm
DRM killer

I sold my Kindle 3 when I got the Nook Color. No question, I read more on my NC than I did on my Kindle 3, it's all around much more versatile then the K3, and to be honest, the NC is just a better device as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think this is the best advice you have received.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I'm on my 3rd NookColor and I'm just over it. I lost the receipt so I could only return it for a giftcard, which I really don't have a need for $260 only usable at B&N. So I deal with it, and when it starts freaking out, I turn it off and use my kindle.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I'm on my 3rd NookColor and I'm just over it. I lost the receipt so I could only return it for a giftcard, which I really don't have a need for $260 only usable at B&N. So I deal with it, and when it starts freaking out, I turn it off and use my kindle.
What does the device do when you say "it starts freaking out"?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote