Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #31
vivacious
vivacious began at the beginning.

Device: none
BTW, I cannot seem to purchase ebooks from B&N.com with a non-US credit card, although I am in New York now.

The error message I got from the website was,
"This title is unavailable to download. Either your payment method was declined, a refund was issued, or charge-back was applied to this item."

They sent me an auto-notification email:
"We are having difficulty processing your order because your credit card issuer will not approve this charge. Please contact us within the next 7 days to resolve this issue and prevent your order from being canceled."

I am not sure now even if we mask our IP address, will they still allow us to buy ebooks without a non-US credit card.
vivacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #32
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipan View Post
I'm from australia, looking for ways to buy the nook and ebooks from B&N.

geertm, did you actually put a US billing address to your bank account or did you just use a US address in the checkout process, knowing they do not verify the address?
The real billing address of my credit card is still my Dutch addres.
I just use a USA address in the checkout process.
I buy most of my books at Fictionwise. There I was already using this workaround to buy geographic restricted books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
ipromesisposi
ipromesisposi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle III
Come on, a brave who dares to buy the nook with the borderlinx method!
ipromesisposi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #34
JANLOUISE
JANLOUISE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivacious View Post
Does anyone know for Amazon, can we buy ebooks with a credit card that is not listed in any of the international countries on the Kindle 2 device? Do they check the credit card country source? Was thinking if this IP method will work on Amazon too.
Just a note - I buy many things from Amazon and I am from Trinidad. I have never had an issue in getting my purchases to go through.
JANLOUISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #35
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
For those who are waiting for somebody to order the nook from outside the US: Over at www.lesen.net somebody took the plunge via US unlocked : http://www.lesen.net/ereader/nook-bn.../#comment-1208 (its in German but there is allways google translate and I think the person does speak English as well). So maybe some of you want to head over there and encourage the person to write a review once the device is in...
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I pre-ordered B&N Nook e-reader using non-USA issued master card, they won't charge me till it's shipped, the shipping address located in USA which would be forwarded to Saudi Arabia later, and i guess it would be okay, but i am not pretty sure,,

my reading list includes non-encrypted pdf files converted by me, and many downloaded from p2p, transferred to Nook via USB, i guess it's the right way to go right now, B&N making it really hard for us, international users to benefit from this well-made device, unlike amazon[even before releasing the international kindle 2], which offered downloading e-books to your PC and synchronizing later with your e-reader device,fortunately I have many friends living in USA I may ask them to buy some books for me when needed...
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #37
Romasport
Romasport began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile Buying a Nook in U.S., using it in Brazil

Hello!

Reading all the post in this thread, I still have a doubt regarding the usage of the nook outside U.S....

Do you guys know if it is possible to buy a nook in U.S. and then buy ebooks in BN.com, ie. in Brazil, and load them in the device using the USB connection?? Or even better, buy ePubs from other ebook stores and do the transfer operation via a computer?

Have a great weekend all of you!
Romasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #38
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romasport View Post
Hello!

Reading all the post in this thread, I still have a doubt regarding the usage of the nook outside U.S....

Do you guys know if it is possible to buy a nook in U.S. and then buy ebooks in BN.com, ie. in Brazil, and load them in the device using the USB connection?? Or even better, buy ePubs from other ebook stores and do the transfer operation via a computer?

Have a great weekend all of you!
See my post #22 in this thread about buying books at the B&N store.
Of course there is no guarantee that is will keep on working.

If you want to buy the Nook you need a USA mail forwarding address. I use Borderlinx myself, but they do not ship to Brazil. Another site that offers a free USA shipping address and seems to get good reviews is www.usunlocked.com.
You have to create an B&N account with your USA mail forwarding address as the billing/shipping address. I have used my gmail e-mail address instead of my Dutch .nl e-mail address, to make sure there is no Dutch information in the account.
As mentioned in my post #22 you will need a USA VPN or proxy to pay at the B&N site. I use alwaysvpn myself.

According to the information on the Nook website all supported formats can be transferred to the Nook using USB. So you can buy ePub en ereader books from other bookstores.

I am waiting for the Nook to become available and for reviews of the unit before I will decide to buy one.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #39
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand. I try using Vpost Asia service which provide shipping address in US and then charge me for a separate shipping to Thailand. The order goes through without problem; but after checking the order status, B&N tells my order cannot be processed, please call ....... or ......., if outside US.....

I have to pay by my non-US credit card. That's probably why they know I'm not from US.

Last edited by bthoven; 11-09-2009 at 04:44 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #40
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Hi,

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand. I try using Vpost Asia service which provide shipping address in US and then charge me for a separate shipping to Thailand. The order goes through without problem; but after checking the order status, B&N tells my order cannot be processed, please call ....... or ......., if outside US.....

I have to pay by my non-US credit card. That's probably why they know I'm not from US.
B&N does check if you have an USA IP-address. You have to use an USA proxy or VPN (like www.alwaysvpn.com).
See my earlier posts in this thread.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #41
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi,

So in this case, B&N will not charge my credit card?

Do you think your suggestion will be working with buying Nook?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #42
geertm
Guru

Smile

Quote:
So in this case, B&N will not charge my credit card?

Do you think your suggestion will be working with buying Nook?
I said in one of my previous posts (#38) that I wanted to wait until the Nook became available. Unfortunately my Cybook Gen3 reader broke down at the end of October, so I have pre-ordered the Nook.
I used www.alwaysvpn.com for a USA ip-address.
I used www.borderlinx.com for a USA shipping address.
I created a B&N account with the Borderlinx address as the shipping address, and with my Gmail address as e-mail address.
I bought the Nook (alwaysvpn connection active) and paid with my Dutch Visa credit card, using the Borderlinx address as the billing address.
No problems. I have received my order confirmation. Expected shipping date December 7.
As I am now reading on my PC, I am really looking forward to receiving the Nook.

Last edited by geertm; 11-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #43
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

I used www.alwaysvpn.com, download and install its vpn software, connect it, and place another order by using Vpost USA address, and non-US credit card. It does not work because B&N shows my order status as

"Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S."

So now I have two Nook orders with same order status! Hope B&N will not actually charge me for nothing.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #44
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Hi,

I used www.alwaysvpn.com, download and install its vpn software, connect it, and place another order by using Vpost USA address, and non-US credit card. It does not work because B&N shows my order status as

"Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S."

So now I have two Nook orders with same order status! Hope B&N will not actually charge me for nothing.
That is strange. Did you also use the Vpost address as the credit card billing address? You should not use your real billing address.
Perhaps B&N is blocking Vpost addresses? Or perhaps this does not work with your credit card? I can only tell you what worked for me.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
That is strange. Did you also use the Vpost address as the credit card billing address? You should not use your real billing address.
Perhaps B&N is blocking Vpost addresses? Or perhaps this does not work with your credit card? I can only tell you what worked for me.
Yes, I also use VPOST US address as billing address.

Thanks anyway. Interesting to see when B&N will cancel my two orders

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas