Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
PW3 Gridview bug??

Has anyone experienced a bug with the grid view?

Basically when I go to the gridview option where it shows 9 pages and lets you scroll through the book and then return to the book, the paging is sometimes off afterwards. When I "turn the page" the text at the end of that page does not flow into the text of the next page but appears up to halfway down the page.

I am using a brand new PW3 I just got. On firmware 5.9.5.1. The book was downloaded from amazon (it is an overdrive borrow). My kindle is in airplane mode.

Kinda disappointing. Restarting the PW does fix it until I do the grid thing again. Just curious if this is a known issue or if it's just me or perhaps this book.

Thanks.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take it from the lack of response that this is just a fluke issue affecting me or this particular book.

FWIW if anyone else runs into the issue, changing the font size also fixes the problem.

I'll be curious to see if this continues to happen when I move on to another book. Could not replicate it on a second book the two times I tried, but it also does not happen every time on the first book, so I just dunno.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think this is more properly called ‘page flip view’, to distinguish it from Grid View on the Home screen.

Note the current firmware version is now 5.9.6.1, so you’ll want to update to see if the issue goes away.

I have seen some pagination weirdness coming out of Page Flip manipulation, but the only thing I normally do with it is to peek ahead to see how many pages there are to the end of the chapter and return to where I was. So I don’t remember much about those pagination issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
soondai
Guru

Cool. I did update yesterday to the new firmware, but ran into the same pagination (knew there had to be a term for it ) issues again.

And I use it the exact same way-- to see how long is left in a chapter or if it is wise for me to start a new chapter. It is a handy feature, and I'd estimate that it only causes the problem one time in three on this book.

Now that I know I can correct it by simply changing the font size or boldness one click and then changing back, it's no biggie. It really seemed like a possible deal-killer when I was rebooting the machine each time.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
soondai
Guru

Sorry, probably not kosher to have a 5 post thread where I have posted 4 times :doh:

But FWIW, it appears the pagination issues are tied into font and font boldness choices. I have discovered that the problem disappears when I use the publisher's font.

I was encountering the problem when I used Bookerly with the boldness up a click or two. I am not picky, so I'll just stick with the defaults for the time being (and maybe try the other fonts if I update the firmware in the future).

I am surprised that I can find no other mentions of this issue on the boards or elsewhere. Given how many people have sent back machines due to lighting issues, etc, I'd expect others to be put out if they ran into this.

But anyway, no big deal with an easy enough fix even if encountered. Pretty happy with the PW3. Feels like a good upgrade from my dying PW1 tho I miss the word games.

I'll quit posting about this and only edit this post if the issue does end up recurring using publisher's font.