Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
massofan
massofan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question No sound on lookup pages (eg Google translate)

Hi.
I have a problem with audio in the Calibre e-book reader on the lookup pages.
I select the word in the e-book reader, then click "lookup [L]" icon. Then I get the google translate page and everything fine except for the audio. There's no sound when I click to pronounce the word. How can I fix that?

Calibre 5.25 on linux (Ubuntu 20.04)
massofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You would need audio drivers compatible with the version o Qt WebEngine bundled with calibre. Sadly, this is no simple task. Your best bet (assuming you are on a decent distro) may be to use the distro calibre package.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
massofan
massofan began at the beginning.

Device: none
kovidgoyal, sorry if it's a stupid question. I googled a little (I guess I can't put a link here) and found that I need to force QtWebEngine to use ALSA. In embedded systems, it is disabled by default.

So do I need to recompile QtWebEngine with an additional flag to allow audio and then somehow rebuild the whole Calibre?
Maybe you could add option to use system QtWebEngine instead of embedded one? I don't have problems with audio on default pyqt5 QWebEngineView.
massofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid using system webengine is a no go, there are too many compatibility problems. Like I said your best bet is to use a decent linux distro like Arch, and use the system calibre package for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote