Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Angry Robot Books Want Your Opinion on Ebook Pricing

Angry Robot, a new sf and fantasy imprint of Harper Collins, have set up a survey where they want you, the reader, to tell them what you think is a fair price for e-editions of their books. To take part, go here:

Angry Robot Ebook Survey
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin

One Miiillioon Dollars!

Joking aside, thanks for the post, will check it out right smartly
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
their survey missed some glaring options, but i did my best with it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
their survey missed some glaring options, but i did my best with it.
The survey wasn't maybe as well thought out as it could be, I agree, but at least they're asking.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
Well at least the range of the ebooks pricing question was from $0-$7, quite reasonable. Not the $14-$24 that some publisher want to push now.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the link ; i've completed the survey as well, if only to support a publisher who's going to the trouble to see what readers actually want.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Thanks for the link! I used Baen as my guideline for a suggested price; although of course I'd prefer ebooks to be as cheap as possible, I didn't want to suggest anything unreasonably low. Baen prices are quite modest and they seem to be doing OK.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I agree that it could've been more complete, but it sounds like it was specifically going after some thoughts they wanted answers to. Whatever the case, this survey is great and I'd love to see more publishers and etailers do this to find out what their customers really want and are willing to buy. I think some of them might be surprised. I also liked the way they worded this one:

No-one's really figured out what an ebook should cost. At the moment the standard is "like the paperback/hardback, but a little bit cheaper"... which is not exactly a brilliant strategy.

I encourage everyone to fill out this survey.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Interesting coming from Harper Collins since they've recently started charging $14.99 for a lot of ebooks that are $7.99 as a pbook and won't explain why (not that they really have to).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Well at least the range of the ebooks pricing question was from $0-$7, quite reasonable. Not the $14-$24 that some publisher want to push now.
Yes, that was a nice surprise.

And hopefully they'll be using a decent source for the ebook release - unlike some other publishers, who issue a naff OCR version that hasn't even been spell-checked.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I took the survey, but there was one question I absolutely could not answer honestly. I tried to skip it, but was told "This question requires an answer". To the question "Angry Robot will make all our books available to read, either in full or in part, on the internet. How do you think this will effect your likelihood to buy Angry Robot ebooks?" I wanted to reply "I don't read books on my PC." Instead, I was forced to pick one of their prepared answers that assumed everyone is willing to read books or book samples on the Internet. See the attached image for all the choices they offered.

Oh, and by the way, the proper question would have said, "How do you think this will affect your likelihood to buy ..." One would think that someone at a publishing house would know the difference between affect and effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	survey.png
Views:	324
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	27109  
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
I also liked the way they worded this one:

No-one's really figured out what an ebook should cost. At the moment the standard is "like the paperback/hardback, but a little bit cheaper"... which is not exactly a brilliant strategy.
Actually, I think this *is* a brilliant strategy. One assumes that the publisher has a good sense of the price range that the marketplace will tolerate for a hardback or paperback book. Given that there are much lower manufacturing costs for eBooks, they should be priced less than the lowest priced print version of the book currently available. Once a book goes out of print, the eBook price should remain at a prices lower than the paperback edition.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
"Angry Robot will make all our books available to read, either in full or in part, on the internet. How do you think this will effect your likelihood to buy Angry Robot ebooks?"
Why do English speakers find it so difficult to distinguish between "effect" and "affect"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i think it should only be a few dollars. i mean it really costs them nothing but their time. they can get more sales if it were cheaper
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Actually, I think this *is* a brilliant strategy. ...
Agreed. If that had been a choice, I'd have picked it. So I said $5.

The first line in the version of the survey I took was

"Angry Robot, the new SF, F and WTF? imprint from HarperCollins..."

Okay, I got SF and F but what is "WTF?"? I mean, I'm familiar with an expression whose initialism is "wtf", but I can't figure out what that has to do with books. Unless it's a book you read that's so dense or obscure or pointless, you go wtf?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote