Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New Hack for the 505

I've modified the image for the 505 hack image that gives you the unified font, the new icons, and the clock. I've modified it so instead of having to go find the advanced option to actually turn off the 505, you can do it from anyplace by just holding the enter button down for about 5 seconds. if anyone wants this, I can attach it here if it's not too large.

THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRMWARE VERSION 1.1.00.18040!!!!!!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Will doing this cause any issues with future firmware updates from Sony?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I shouldn't think so, the past updates have just overwritten the existing firmware. If they follow that approach, it'll just wipe the changes away.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'd be interested in tjhis, I miss having the clock!

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
I'd like it please i turn off the reader every night so this would be great.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
sindget41
Fanfic Idiot
sindget41 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, PRS 300, iTouch
JSWOLF.... Yes, I'd love to try it -- I am missing the hacks I had on my old 500.
sindget41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
I'd like it please i turn off the reader every night so this would be great.
The 505 does have a menu option to turn off the power. But it is buried in settings/advanced. Just a kind of a pain to have to wade through the menues to get to it. Anyway, I'll see if I zip the contents of the SD card if it will fit here. If not, I'll try it in pieces and see.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

1.UnZip this to the root of the SD card (might work with a memory stick).
2. Power off the 505 using the power switch.
3. Insert the SD card
4. Turn on the 505.
5. Press 6 to flash the image.
6. When done, press 9 to reboot.
7. Once the screen goes blank remove the SD card
8. Once it's booted, you are all set

You will have the clock, the unified font,the new icons, and the press and hold the enter button to power down the 505.

Use at your own risk.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hack.zip (4.53 MB, 1714 views)
Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Fabulous!!!!

Worked instantly.

Love the new font/icons and I have the clock back!!!!!!

Thanks!

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Didn't work with my 505. I get a failure message telling me to check the flash.log - and the flash.log says the flash was successful.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Jeff, it's possible you may have not enough free memory for performing the flash. Try removing some of the content to free up ram and try again.

And to all, don't forget that holding the enter button for about 5 seconds will cause the 505 to power down.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #12
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Worked perfectly, looks great, thank you! :-)
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajala View Post
Worked perfectly, looks great, thank you! :-)
Happy to help. And now anyone who uses this image as opposed to the original image has an easy shut off that works very well and a lot easier then finding the menu option buried a few levels deep.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jeff, it's possible you may have not enough free memory for performing the flash. Try removing some of the content to free up ram and try again.
I only had three books in main storage, but I deleted them and tried again: same result, failure to flash. autorun.log contains: copy error: Fsk error, code = -56
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
It didn't work for me either. I get the same message "telling me to check the flash.log - and the flash.log says the flash was successful." any ideas? i formated the internal memory as well but get the same result.

there is nothing as easy as releaseing some software is there

Last edited by electristan; 04-26-2008 at 12:37 PM.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote