Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #16
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is journal mode?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
SQLite's journal mode?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 AM   #17
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonheur View Post
I had the same issue. Koreader shows up on my KSM, but it would not launch.
Koreader's current stable version will not work on a KA1. Use one of the latest nightly builds instead.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 AM   #18
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
I installed the new firmware. I charged my reader to 100%. I put it to sleep. 10 hours later the battery is at 40%. That's not good. Good thing I can roll back.

Update: A simple power off and on seems to have fixed the battery drain problem.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 01-19-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I have a Glo HD and just dropped back to 3.19.5761. Was tired of fooling around with the 'Journal' mode with Calibre (still using XP).
What do you mean "fooling around with"? You should change back to the other mode and then it works like that forever. The device should only change this when you upgrade to database version that the 4.x firmware uses.
Quote:
Is there any way to turn off the left side swipe light adjuster? This was the only reason I was using the 4.x versions.
Not that I now of. This was added in 4.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I didn't see a new device. Where did you find that?
/etc/init.d/rcS case $PRODUCT in snow) was added.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
/etc/init.d/rcS case $PRODUCT in snow) was added.
Interesting. There is no reference I can see in libnickel or in /bin/kobo_config.sh. And I can't decide what the coordinates say about the resolution.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is journal mode?

If you use win 7 or above with Calibre it'll make no difference.

Journal mode is one of the parameters of the squlite database that is the heart of our KOBO readers. At some point in the development of the firmware journal mode was switched from 'delete' to 'wal'. I do not understand this completely but 'wal' is supposed to make for a more stable database so less corruption problems.

Since I'm a Luddite and still use Win XP with an earlier version of Calibre v2.0, the only version 2.x that will or might work with XP, this is important to me. I'm probably the only person that this applies to.

Last edited by volpo; 01-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
What do you mean "fooling around with"? You should change back to the other mode and then it works like that forever. The device should only change this when you upgrade to database version that the 4.x firmware uses.

Not that I now of. This was added in 4.0.
In the last two versions of 4.x the change is reverted auto-magically. This makes it a bit of a fight to get Calibre to recognize the reader so instead of fighting I switched back. I can live with 3.x until I get a Windows 10 box.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm fully aware of the DB journal issue; it was just I wasn't expecting that to be your issue. Remember one option would be to disable the Kobo driver in calibre and use the connect folder as device option.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Firmware 4.2.8283 has changes to the kernel. Using the KoboRoot.tgz without the kernel updates will cause problems. The changes are fixes for 32bpp support.

The update package does include a kernel for the Glo HD. I do not know if this has been updated. Anyone who uses this, does so at their own risk.
So does this mean no more updates for older models (such as the H2O) until a full release is made?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #26
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I second bad battery drain. I am going back to 4.2.8110

I did not do a factory reset.

Phil

Last edited by pclewis; 01-18-2017 at 02:46 PM.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #27
mbonheur
mbonheur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Koreader's current stable version will not work on a KA1. Use one of the latest nightly builds instead.
Thanks
mbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not sure about the negative coordinates in the snow entry in the RcS file.

Code:
	case $PRODUCT in
		kraken|phoenix|star)
			export COORDINATES="80 870 70 70 200 870 70 70";;
		snow)
			export COORDINATES="180 -1200 100 100 320 -1200 100 100";;
		dragon|dahlia|alyssum)
			export COORDINATES="120 1220 100 100 280 1220 100 100";;
		daylight)
			export COORDINATES="100 1640 200 200 300 1640 200 200";;
		*)
			export COORDINATES="55 685 60 60 150 685 60 60";;

esac

Last edited by DNSB; 01-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So does this mean no more updates for older models (such as the H2O) until a full release is made?
No, it means there have been no updates for any of the other devices for a year now. But, you could get away with using the previous 4.x updates. Trying this with 4.2.8283 is likely to lead to problems. But, it is unlikely to cause the device to be bricked. The changes are in the graphics handling code. It probably means display problems and crashes but nothing worse than that. And the Aura H2O is probably one of the most affected, especially if you use one of the nightmode hacks.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
In the last two versions of 4.x the change is reverted auto-magically. This makes it a bit of a fight to get Calibre to recognize the reader so instead of fighting I switched back. I can live with 3.x until I get a Windows 10 box.
That's surprising. I ran in that mode with the betas for a while with no problems. There must be an extra check somewhere. Did it happen after restarting the device? I have a feeling it sometimes does a compress during the startup. It might also "fix" the journal mode at the same time.