Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Question Help for a newbie - Urgent!

Hi,

It's a long long time since I posted to MobileRead (hi guys!), from when I bought my iRex iLiad (still in that first users list, woot!).

Anyway, ontopic: I need to install Sigil pdq (pretty damm quick) on my Ubuntu 12.10 pc to format some epubs, and I'm not sure how to go about it. It's my husband's domain, but I can't wait till he comes home from work. Help anybody, how do I proceed?

ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Well, I'll take a shot at it:

1) download sigil 0.7.1 source code zip file from here (left column under "downloads")

2) download Qt5 install package for your architecture from here and install (as root) to /opt/Qt5.0.1 or as normal user, to $HOME/Qt5.0.1 for example.

3) If you don't already have them, install development tools (build-essentials, cmake, etc.)

4) follow instructions in the "runningfromsource" sigil wiki page here (scroll down to Linux).

Good luck!

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Many thanks, Albert, very grateful. The "etc." on the development tools is a bit of but I shall see how it goes.

I'm no expert on Linux, and sometimes the instructions for installing something are truly easy to follow, and sometimes they presuppose knowledge on the user's behalf.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet View Post
Many thanks, Albert, very grateful. The "etc." on the development tools is a bit of but I shall see how it goes.

I'm no expert on Linux, and sometimes the instructions for installing something are truly easy to follow, and sometimes they presuppose knowledge on the user's behalf.
Once you start building, if you're missing some tools you will get error messages that hopefully will give you a clue as to what else you need to install. At first, it's an iterative process.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Ahhhhh... nothing like knowing what you're doing... hubby came home said "tut, tut", and it has installed itself without any of the above
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
st_albert
Guru

Great! Then it's all good.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet View Post
and it has installed itself without any of the above
Not the latest versions, it hasn't. The "above" is the only way (currently) to get version 7 and higher on Linux.

But as long as you can do what you intended to do... I suppose all's well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2013 at 01:58 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote