Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I'm having to restore my Calibre PC

I am having problems with my Windows7 PC and am going reload the system. Before I do that I need to know what files to back up (I've done my library). I need to backup such things as my plug-ins and any other system files needed to make myself whole. And if you could, supply the location of the files.

Thanks in advance - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You will want to backup the configuration directory. I don't know where it is stored on Windows...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You will want to backup the configuration directory. I don't know where it is stored on Windows...
The Generic answer for all O/S

Use the Button in Preferences: Advanced: Miscellaneous
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
One thing I forgot to mention. The configuration directory is not guarenteed to work across OSs. Going Win7 to Win7 won't be a problem. Win7 to OS X may not work.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Generic answer for all O/S

Use the Button in Preferences: Advanced: Miscellaneous
Thanks Ducks-

I would never have thought to look in "Preferences: Advanced: Miscellaneous" but there it was - "open config directory". For future reference, Calibre keeps it config files in "C:\Users\(name)\AppDat\Roaming\calibre".

A lot of applications store their config info in "roaming", so I'm already backed up.

Thanks all - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
May I suggest this be part of Save to Disk as complete back up in save to disk as a "retain all Calibre settings"? For me personally, the ideal backup is one that includes a complete restoration of all settings and files.

Or have a I misunderstood? If I understand correctly, this file along with my Calibre library (files and metadata) would completely restore all settings, plugins and any custom options. This is invaluable when in the case of a disaster, transferring to a laptop or a new computer.

Of course, I just did this manually earlier this week! Timing is everything.....
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The save to disk- function, while it is often used that way, is not originally intended as a backup device, so adding such a function would be somewhat counterintuitive, I think. It would also not do anything for users who prefer other programs for backup purposes instead of manually backing up.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The save to Disk option is NOT a suitable Calibre library backup as it can change eBook files during the process, and does not back up all files. As a result it is also relatively slow. The simpler process of copying the Calibre library folder and all its contents is the correct way to do it, and there are plenty of Utilities around that can achieve this - many providing differential backup capability that can improve its effeciency.

As for backing up the Configuration folder this is more interesting. As a general rule a Configuration folder is OS and System specific so any backup of that folder needs to be used with caution. It makes senses when restoring a crashed system but may not make sense when moving Calibre to a new system. Perhaps a more obvious way of finding ithe Configuration folder location rather than diggng into Preferences might be desirable to make it more accessible to the average user.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Thanks Ducks-

I would never have thought to look in "Preferences: Advanced: Miscellaneous" but there it was - "open config directory". For future reference, Calibre keeps it config files in "C:\Users\(name)\AppDat\Roaming\calibre".

A lot of applications store their config info in "roaming", so I'm already backed up.

Thanks all - John
If you want to be sure that all your configuration data for Calibre, and other programs as well, gets backed up and restored with Windows 7, I highly recommend the free, built-in, Microsoft "Windows Easy Transfer" utility. It will save you hours and hours of time configuring your new or rebuilt PC, and it works across the 64-bit to 32-bit boundary as well. There's a standalone version on the Windows 7 DVD, and it's also in your Start, All-Programs, Accessories, System Tools folder.

Run on your current PC before you rebuild it, saving configuration (and data if you want) off to a USB stick, then run again after you rebuild to restore it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote