Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Cleaning screen

What do you use to clean your Kindle screen.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I clean it the same way I clean my eyeglasses. If it's just a few dust particles or dandruff flakes, a quick blast from one of those compressed-air cans. If it's a smudge, I breathe on it and wipe with a microfiber cleaning cloth.

And I'm very careful with my eyeglasses. They cost twice what the Kindle did. (I would have gone cheaper on the glasses but my company picked up most of the expense).

edit: you can often find a bag of microfiber cloths in the automotive sections of stores such as Target or Walmart for a pretty cheap price. They're known for their anti-scratch properties, but a 100% cotton wipe would probably do about as well.

Last edited by mrsquash; 01-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
I clean it the same way I clean my eyeglasses. If it's just a few dust particles or dandruff flakes, a quick blast from one of those compressed-air cans. If it's a smudge, I breathe on it and wipe with a microfiber cleaning cloth.

And I'm very careful with my eyeglasses. They cost twice what the Kindle did. (I would have gone cheaper on the glasses but my company picked up most of the expense).

edit: you can often find a bag of microfiber cloths in the automotive sections of stores such as Target or Walmart for a pretty cheap price. They're known for their anti-scratch properties, but a 100% cotton wipe would probably do about as well.
So it would be safe to use the little eyeglass wipes in the foil packets?

Carol
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I would certainly think so. I wouldn't hesitate to use one myself. It could get rather expensive, though, if you use them often. The microfiber cloths are washable and re-usable. They are also great at wicking up oils and such.

From what I've read, the Kindle's screen is glass (if I'm mistaken about this, please someone let me know), and glass is pretty much immune to any ordinary sort of chemical attack, and impervious to scratching unless a material of similar hardness (sand, dirt, etc.) is rubbed into it. You could just use a paper towel, but it would probably take a lot more rubbing to get rid of a smudge than using a microfiber wipe or an eyeglass-wiper pad would.

Fortunately the Kindle doesn't have a touch-screen so there shouldn't be much smudging going on, unless maybe you've got a cat that likes to lick it.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I rarely need to do more than blow away the occasional dog hair, but when it actually has a smudge or something on it, I use an alcohol-free anti-static screen-cleaning spray. I spray a little on a lint-free cloth then clean the smudge, followed by an all-over wipe with a dry microfiber cloth.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Some water on a piece of micro fiber. I don't trust cleaning fluids.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Standard advice is to use a microfibre cleaning cloth; the sort sold to clean glasses and camera lenses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Kind of on topic and off at the same time, is the screen glass or plastic?
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Glass substrate under the screen (as a TFT basement) and a plastic coating (film) at the top, I think! Please correct me.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I use the camera lens cleaning gear, blower brush for dust particles and lens cleaning cloth for marks.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
Glass substrate under the screen (as a TFT basement) and a plastic coating (film) at the top, I think! Please correct me.
That's correct; the outer screen is plastic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks!
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Thanks for all the great tips. Since we wear glasses, I have the eyeglass wipes. We buy the large box from Sam's club. Also have micro fiber clothes. And I have some computer screen wipes. So I should be set.

My screen is pretty good but I did notice a few smudges and was just wondering how to clean them off.

Carol
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Pixelclean

I get the portable wet and dry packs from Pixelclean. They are specially prepared to clean LCD screens for monitors and TV's.

For the Kindle I'd only use the cloth in the dry pack. If there was really a bad stain on the screen, I'd just touch the wet cloth to the screen and then use the dry cloth to wipe it.

I've used them on my NowBible touch screen, my PRS 900 touch screen, my Garmin GPS touch screen and of course on my monitors and HD TV's.

Most eye glasses are made of glass so eye glass cleaner may be different. Touch screens and LCD screens are made of different material and could react badly to glass cleaners.

Its all my OPINION of course and nothing is sure. Never cleaning a touch screen or kindle is the best approach unless it is really bad. I tend to tolerate minor dirt on those screens and not clean them at all unless really necessary
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Some water on a piece of micro fiber. I don't trust cleaning fluids.
I agree -- I don't either. Sometimes I use a bit of spit and a microfiber cloth, though.

TMI?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote