Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
3g service on 3g Kindle Oasis 2

Today I used the 3g facility on my Kindle Oasis 2 for the first time. Every model Kindle I've ever owned I've got the 3g version for the extra flexibility it affords. When I tried to download a book via 3g today though, it wouldn't work. The outline of the book appeared with a sign saying WiFi required. But I know the 3g was working generally, as I was able to access Wikipedia normally. I tried it on two separate occasions during the day with the same result. Surely Amazon has not restricted the 3g service such that one can no loner download books through it? It's not like I have ever abused the service - I am sure that less than 0.5% of the books I have downloaded from Amazon have been over 3g.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From the Oasis product description:
Quote:
Some books may not be eligible for download over cellular connectivity, including promotional content or where indicated on a book detail page.
Which book are you trying to download?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Today I used the 3g facility on my Kindle Oasis 2 for the first time. Every model Kindle I've ever owned I've got the 3g version for the extra flexibility it affords. When I tried to download a book via 3g today though, it wouldn't work. The outline of the book appeared with a sign saying WiFi required. But I know the 3g was working generally, as I was able to access Wikipedia normally. I tried it on two separate occasions during the day with the same result. Surely Amazon has not restricted the 3g service such that one can no loner download books through it? It's not like I have ever abused the service - I am sure that less than 0.5% of the books I have downloaded from Amazon have been over 3g.

I've just downloaded two books on 3G without any issues.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
From the Oasis product description:

Which book are you trying to download?
It's a Delphi Classics part volume (one of the Complete Works of Charles Dickens), of which I have downloaded hundreds of others successfully.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
It's a Delphi Classics part volume (one of the Complete Works of Charles Dickens), of which I have downloaded hundreds of others successfully.

It's not a personal document ebook is it? They never download on 3G unless you have enabled a fee.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

There is a fee for book downloads over 3G, always has been (except perhaps the 2 series devices, which where 3G only).

That message means you haven't enabled (and agreed to) the fee on your Amazon account page.

It is "free 3g" for those purposes the person (company) that is paying for it decides.
Downloading books isn't one of them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had 3G on every Kindle so far too. There is no fee for downloading books purchased from Amazon (or borrowed through KU). Books borrowed from regular libraries (mine uses Overdrive) can only be downloaded via wifi. You can download them to your PC and sideload, though. As someone who only recently got wifi at home, I know all about that.

So if a book you bought from Amazon or borrowed through their KU subscription service won't download via 3G, I'd give Amazon a call.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a fee for book downloads over 3G, always has been (except perhaps the 2 series devices, which where 3G only).
There's a fee for downloading personal documents, but not for downloading books bought from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's a fee for downloading personal documents, but not for downloading books bought from Amazon.
Thanks all, yes that must be it, I had overlooked the personal document fee issue.