Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #15706
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Do you mean You Only Die Twice ?

Live Twice is a James Bond novel and I couldn't find one by Smith.

Oops!

You're right. I'll go back to my original post and correct it.

Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #15707
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Oops!

You're right. I'll go back to my original post and correct it.

Thank you.

Don
No worries! Thank you for the recommendation!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #15708
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I loved the Chronicles of Amber. I've been thinking about rereading them. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the series!
Thanks! I think I'm at the point of no return... I need to know whats going to happen now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #15709
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Completely unplanned reading.

I was checking the Indie freebies today and found "You Only Die Twice," by Christopher Smith.

I read 5 [short] chapters on my computer and found that I couldn't wait to continue to read it, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle.

It's free, by the way, and is available from Amazon.

Don
Oh! Tell me what you think of it in the end. I have a stack of books by this guy (including this one) and haven't read any of them. I understand he is a controversial author somehow. I can't remember why now. But regardless of any flap he may or may not have caused, it's the writing that counts - so I'm interested in what you think of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #15710
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ellen MacGregor & Philip Latham (Robert Shirley Richardson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well now The Sinister Pig was a real treat and a little different than the preceding 15 novels in the series. Too bad the next novel is the last one in the series. Also I highly enjoyed reading The Clue in the Diary.

I promised my grandson (a 6th grader) that I'd read a book he'd previously enjoyed and share my opinion of it with him, so I've just began reading Ridley Pearson's 1st YA novel in The Kingdom Keepers series, Disney After Dark. Along with that I'll also read the 8th of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, Nancy's Mysterious Letter. A pair of YA's!!
What with these 2 YA's along with all the other Nancy Drews I've been reading recently, I became interested in another book that I originally read during the same time period as the Nancy Drews (3rd & 4th grades). Several years ago (prior to the digital reader era) I bought 2 used hardbacks from a bookseller on the web. I've already re-read 1 of them, Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars by Ellen MacGregor. Anyway to make this YA adventure a bigger event, I drug out my hardback of Five Against Venus by Philip Latham (Robert Shirley Richardson) and dusted it off. Three YA's, WOWZERS!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-19-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: edit text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #15711
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Next up is "The Accidental Time Machine", by Joe Haldeman.
I really enjoyed this one. A fun, classic time-travel story. A graduate student at MIT accidentally builds a time machine, but the problem is that it will only take him forwards in time. He has to travel further and further into the future, looking for a society which has the technology to send him back to his own time again. Well worth reading.

I should add that this is also the first "Gateway SF" book I've read that's been completely typo-free - it seems that, as they told me recently, their ebook production processes are indeed improving.

On next to "At Home", by Bill Bryson.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #15712
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really enjoyed this one. A fun, classic time-travel story. A graduate student at MIT accidentally builds a time machine, but the problem is that it will only take him forwards in time. He has to travel further and further into the future, looking for a society which has the technology to send him back to his own time again. Well worth reading.
Sounds like fun. Thanks for that.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #15713
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Assault on the Gods by Steve Goldin (sgoldin), as I've enjoyed a couple of his other republished books, and he has this one on special offer at the moment.
It was OK. It is a little dated, as any story written recently would depict the tech differently. The plot was a little weak - more Amazing Stories than Analog. An interesting character, but certainly not as good as his other books I've read. But not bad, and I'll be getting more of his books as my TBR list allows.

Next up: The Road of Danger by David Drake. The latest in his RCN series. I think I will enjoy this one a lot.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #15714
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Wool Omnibus
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #15715
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Just finished "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore" by Robin Sloan and loved it. Next up: "The perks of being a wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky.
I really liked "The perks of being a wallflower". I though I wouldn't like the diary-format, but it didn't bother me. And I really sympathized with the main character. Highly recommended. Next up: The unlikely pilgrimage of Harrold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #15716
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The Fey series by Claudia Hall Christian
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #15717
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Still reading the book club choice "Lolita" - I'm managing about half an hour of reading a day a the moment, which is stressing me out but can't be helped. I desperately tried to get an hour in last night - went to bed two hours earlier than usual - and fell asleep within 10 minutes. Aaarrrrrgggg!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #15718
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oh! Tell me what you think of it in the end. I have a stack of books by this guy (including this one) and haven't read any of them. I understand he is a controversial author somehow. I can't remember why now. But regardless of any flap he may or may not have caused, it's the writing that counts - so I'm interested in what you think of it.

I'm about 1/2 through it. It's a quick read - a very easy read, actually - but I'm alternating that with a collection of short stories by another writer.

I should be finished with it in about another 2 days.

About that controversy: Funny you should mention that. I seem to recall (incorrectly, perhaps) that there was some issue of him writing fake reviews or doing something of that nature that was not on the up-and-up. (Let me strongly emphasize that I may be wrong on this, but I certainly remember some kind of controversy surrounding this guy.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #15719
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Two Graves by Preston & Child. I enjoyed this title much more than their previous installment Cold Vengeance. The authors cleared up the loose ends of the two earlier "Helen" books and everything was wrapped neatly by the last page. But not to worry P&C left us an "out" for their next endeavor. The last half of the book was an exciting page turner, however, this book was more blood thirsty than earlier ones. High body count. Rated B- [4 stars].

Next is Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. A return to classic 50s sci-fi.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #15720
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 by Sean Platt and David Wright. This is the first novel (more like novella) of an 18 episode/3 season post-apocalyptic serial. I actually own all 18 episodes by patiently watching for freebies. These guys a prolific and I'm interested to find out whether they're worth reading...and one of my Goodreads groups is discussing this book for Feb.
OK - finished this on. I'm a bit indifferent to this book. It is starting a serial so it doesn't give away much. I guess I can live with that. But because it's not revealing anything significant, it means that I was focusing on how the authors were introducing the characters.

They have obviously attempted to give each character narration a unique voice. In fact, I would say they worked pretty hard on it. However, this meant that each chapter was written somewhat differently, making me feel like I was reading an anthology from different authors rather than a cohesive story. Also, I really didn't like a couple of the styles presented. Two characters in particular made me wince while reading.

I may read the next episode or two to give the serial a bit of a go, but if I can't reconcile myself to the writing I'll probably give it a way.