Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Tired of ebook pricing

I went to Amazon to check the Kindle price for the next Clive Cussler book (my guilty pleasure) and was pleased to see the price for Kindle books for this author had dropped to reasonable prices, in this case $11.99. I tried to order it but it said that it was not available in my area (China). Fine. I logged into Amazon and since my account is in Canada, the price all of a sudden jumped to $16.89 for the exact same book. I turned on my US VPN and the price dropped to $11.99 when I had signed out of Amazon. When I logged in again, the price jumped back to $16.89.

Enough. Sick of this crap and 19th century region restrictions. I don't live in Canada so why am I paying Canadian prices? I can buy a book in the US and have it shipped to China. I live in China and the bloody thing is not even available here. I wish I worked for an organization who doesn't need to make money by selling products.

Sorry, just venting.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Support epub, get your friend purchase it from where it is available and make them email it to you.

You want Kindle? Stick with Amazon and their ridiculousness. Want to be able to purchase from anywhere? Get a reader that supports epub format.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Oh, there are many ways I can get his book, both legal and illegal. Not the point. The point is that these publishers still have their heads up their asses when it comes to electronic books. According to Amazon, this price is set by the publisher.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Most book rights, e- or p-, are still sold by region.
It is common to see the same book priced differently in different regions or available in one area and not another. Neither Amazon nor any other vendor can legally change that. Technically speaking, selling an ebook to a region you do not have distribution rights to sell it to is piracy. Apple is currently facing several such claims in China over books in their bookstore.

Venting is fine because there is nothing the retailer or consumer can do; it is a dated artifact of legacy publishing.

Switching to the "magical annointed standard" epub will not change the availability of the book. But if it makes you feel better to think so...
(shrug)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
Support epub, get your friend purchase it from where it is available and make them email it to you.

You want Kindle? Stick with Amazon and their ridiculousness. Want to be able to purchase from anywhere? Get a reader that supports epub format.
This has nothing to do with Amazon or Epub.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Nothing to do with Amazon or ePub. It has to do with the way rights are sold by authors/agents and bought by publishing houses.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nothing to do with Amazon or ePub. It has to do with the way rights are sold by authors/agents and bought by publishing houses.
You'd think that if it really bothered Amazon, they would have enough leverage to do something about it.

Does Amazon sell the stuff they themselves publish at different prices in different countries? I checked the price of one of their titles, The Published Short Story: From Writing To Publishing, on amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.jp & amazon.co.uk. It's roughly the same on all of those sites, but i don't know if that's true of all of their books at all times.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
You'd think that if it really bothered Amazon, they would have enough leverage to do something about it.

Does Amazon sell the stuff they themselves publish at different prices in different countries? I checked the price of one of their titles, The Published Short Story: From Writing To Publishing, on amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.jp & amazon.co.uk. It's roughly the same on all of those sites, but i don't know if that's true of all of their books at all times.
They have no control over what the content rights-holder chooses as a price. Also, the book you referenced, http://amzn.com/B00I41MTO2, is owned by Emerson Grant, not Amazon, so Emerson Grant set the price not Amazon. Just because a book is published using Amazon KDP doesn't give Amazon the right to set the price.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Don't forget that Amazon is charging US$2 more for many books internationally. International customers are paying more. I always use a proxy server to check the US price before I buy. It is crazy for me to pay $4.99 when the book is only $2.99 in the US site.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
You guys are crazy to pay for books when you can get them for free.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
It's not always convenient to go to the library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
It seems you're in a bit of a ranting mood today

Yes, a library can get you the book for free (mostly), but it has its disadvantages such as waiting lists, not being able to re-read immediately if you want, possibly the book is not available at all.

Yes, you could Torrent it. In that case, I hope your company one day decides that your work must be free as well.

Many ebooks are priced so low nowadays that I can get two books for the price of one cup of coffee. If I'd throw in the price of a sandwich as well, I can buy an entire fracking series.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I have kindle ONLY and I purchse my books everywhere. Last 20 books was from Kobo. All of them were Adobe DRM.

Epub can be converted to AZW3/Mobi and vice versa. It's called using Calibre and Apprentice Alf plugin for Calibre.

You seem to be under impression that having a kindle somehow cripples you in buying from different sellers. Wrong.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That a good point... there are thousands of public domain and creative commons books. But, sometimes you just want to read something a little more contemporary.

I assume that's what you meant right, by "get them for free"?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
You seem to be under impression that having a kindle somehow cripples you in buying from different sellers. Wrong.
That would be true, IF Calibre AND Alf had not existed.

But, they do exist. Alf is an anti-DRM chainsaw, and Calibre eats e-books or breakfast before it... *bleep*

*This transmission was interrupted by a special announcement...*

Hey. Technically, that's format shifting as well. Don't blame the messenger.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote