Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Any rumors of a Readius type device thats ONLY a ebook / ereader?

Hi all.

My question is,

Does anyone know of a any products simular to the Readius, but is only a ebook / ereader?

I love the concept of the Readius, love the flexable display, the compactness etc.

But I have ABSOULTELY no use for another phone etc. While it makes it a geewiz neat type device to combine the phone system and reader into one package. I feel both suffer from the blending =(

Thank you in advance for any info etc that any one has.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
sf_reality
sf_reality doesn't littersf_reality doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Readius
Sorry, askyn, but Readius is the first and only device with a rollable / flexible display. Polymer Vision, the company behind Readius, spent 15 years on developing this technology. Polymer Vision was part of the Dutch giant Philips until 2006. So, we can assume that they spent a lot of money on building the first consumer device with a rollable display. More on the rollable display technology is on http://www.readius.com/pocket-ereader/rollable-displays
sf_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
thebrave
Enthusiast
thebrave doesn't litterthebrave doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, Nokia N800
And I think it's a bit ealy to ask for a lower-end version of the same hardware. Mobile Internet connectivity seems the only way to go for these high end ebooks readers and I think that's a good thing.
thebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Ok thank you very much.

I just recenly started looking into a ebook device and have been reading up on them but wanted to be sure.

Right now im torn, I love the ruggedness of the Readius. The compactness, and the flex screen.

Just not sure if the priceing is going to be in my ball park, but then no one knows for sure ROFL

Im torn between the Cybook feature wise etc, or waiting to see how the radius comes out.

Guess i should curb the "Shiney shiney magpie" response and wait another month or two to see what is done with the Readius.

Have it be released and get some close ups of book print on the screen etc

See if a 5" display is large enough for me etc.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I love the idea of the Readius, but there are two issues for me: I want a bigger screen and don't care for phone capability.

However that's just my personal preference.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Askyn,

NICE thread you read my mind. I have been waiting for a flexy device like that myself for a while. I Love the Idea of Readius as only a reader. Alas, I imagine another company may come out with that concept.

I have a Cybook and a Sony 505. I think both are wonderful devices considering this generation of ereader. Have you tried Eink? I must confess I was suspicious until I tried it myself and converted to Eink. You Will love it.

I have my Cybook as my home ereader and my Sony 505 I take on the road. Both have a 6 inch screen. Easy to fit in a jacket pocket..However NOT the pocket of your trousers or shirt. I would suggest buying one of the 6 inch devices. I imagine a rugged 5 inch device is on the horizon....however I fear 2010 will be the earliest we see one...and who knows what the price will be......

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Ok thank you very much.

I just recenly started looking into a ebook device and have been reading up on them but wanted to be sure.

Right now im torn, I love the ruggedness of the Readius. The compactness, and the flex screen.

Just not sure if the priceing is going to be in my ball park, but then no one knows for sure ROFL

Im torn between the Cybook feature wise etc, or waiting to see how the radius comes out.

Guess i should curb the "Shiney shiney magpie" response and wait another month or two to see what is done with the Readius.

Have it be released and get some close ups of book print on the screen etc

See if a 5" display is large enough for me etc.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I think 2010 might bring color devices.
technically the resolution of a color e-ink device needs to be 3x1 times higher than b&w, and through the use of dirthering one is capable by overlaying an e-ink screen with a RGB foil, to get resolutions of 200x800 or 267x600 pix (160kPix) on an 800x600 (480kpix) screen.

Companies will need to increase the resolution of the screen by a factor of 3x1 to get color.
That's what I'm expecting to see in Q4 2009.

3rd generation E-ink devices around Q2 09 / Q3 09:
9" screens with 1024x768 and up

Around Q4 09 / Q1 010:
6" 1024x768 pix devices

Q3/Q4 2010 (2 years from now):
6" 800x400 color devices.

It will depend on wether they decide to have standard LCD / CRT RGB setting or if they will choose diagonal striping for RGB like used in the OLPC XO-1.

I personally am not fond of the screen. it looks rather.. cheap to me, folded like that.
and at the moment supporting a res. of only 320x240 is not really my device.

I've not even looked on the price of this device.

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-18-2008 at 11:43 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well while there's nothing on the horizon tight now, Polymer Vision could always do what Apple did with the iPhone, introducing the phone first, and later on the iPod Touch with most of the features, less the phone feature.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote