Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Dmitry Shkarin
Dmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB360, PB301+, Onyx Boox A62, Nook Color, etc.
otfm - file manager

Program is mainly intended for tuning firmware and connecting to PC.
Latest version (v.0.6) is placed there: http://rghost.ru/39196712
Warning! Program gives full access to firmware internals and can easily break operability of device. You use this program at your own risk.

Features:
1. Full access to file system.
2. Standard file/dir operations: copy, move, delete etc.
3. Support for 0th, 1st and 2nd models (last digit in model name).
4. Connection to PC via cifs (for 2nd models only). Bidirectional synchronizing of directories on PC and on e-reader.
5. System parameters tuning, limited support for unzipping, text file viewing with syntax highlighting (for programmers ), etc., etc.

Limitations:
1. Program was written just for fun, so don't expect various beauties.
2. Program was not designed for devices with IR-touch.

Installation:
1. Unpack otfm_v.0.6.rar to device internal memory.
2. Unplug device from PC and enter to "otfm" folder.
3. (optional, for 2nd models only) Run installation of system programs (cifs driver, mount.cifs and rsync at this moment): install_sys_progs.oar
4. Run installation of program itself: install.oar
5. "otfm" folder can be removed after rebooting.
Dmitry Shkarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Dmitry Shkarin
Dmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with othersDmitry Shkarin plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB360, PB301+, Onyx Boox A62, Nook Color, etc.
Premoderation on this forum is so long, that I almost forgot main purpose of my 1st message...
For owners of 0th & 1st models: if You want to have connection to PC via cifs (it is highly convinient thing), then You must perform following steps:

1. Create file t.oar on PC
Code:
#!/bin/sh

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/flash/boot_dump.bin bs=512 seek=0 count=32768

#
The file must have UNIX format, i.e. lines must end with NL, but not with CR/NL as in Windows. Be careful because this command deals with bootload area.
2. Run this file on your e-reader.
3. Put the file boot_dump.bin somewhere on Internet, so I can take it.

Positive result is not warranted, but I will try...
Dmitry Shkarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Shkarin View Post
Program is mainly intended for tuning firmware and connecting to PC.
Latest version (v.0.6) is placed there: http://rghost.ru/39196712
Warning! Program gives full access to firmware internals and can easily break operability of device. You use this program at your own risk. ...
Thanks Dmitry to post a direct link on you tool in this forum.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi, Dmitry!

Just wanted to say thank you for your work and this very usefull programm. Karma for you!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Does this work on M92 or it is for older models ?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Does this work on M92 or it is for older models ?
It does! It works also on i62HD very good.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Good work! I will give it a try.
Thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Thanks a lot for this SW! It helped me a lot in many ways. Eg. to change stand-by screens (also many thanks to Booxtor for a great collection of pictures) and also to rescue some scribles lost. And setting sleep time to desired value.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Thanks a lot for this SW! It helped me a lot in many ways. Eg. to change stand-by screens (also many thanks to Booxtor for a great collection of pictures) and also to rescue some scribles lost. And setting sleep time to desired value.
Mono, what's the link between the sleep time and the file manager OTFM ?

How do you set the sleep time ?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Good question. I do not have it at hand, but I try to describe from my memory as well as possible....

1) Invoke a menu by touching "button", which is in the upper left screen corner (I think 2nd from the left). I do not remember the name, but it is sort of "strange" - non-intuitive.
2) The last or last but one item in menu invokes dialog for setting power-off and sleep times.

I do not have the latest OTFM version installed. It may be little different in the latest one... Simply search the OTFM menus and you will find, where the time setting is.

That is all. :-)

And it is great! My setting is 15 min sleep and no power-off, which is not possible to set
from standard Onyx interface.

EDIT.
It is 3rd menu item from left - "Trinkets" in older versions or "Device" in 0.6 version

Last edited by Mono; 07-28-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard

Thanks Mono, I'll watch this.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
kevin.pugh
kevin.pugh began at the beginning.

Can you clarify please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Shkarin View Post

<<SNIP>>

Installation:
1. Unpack otfm_v.0.6.rar to device internal memory.
2. Unplug device from PC and enter to "otfm" folder.
3. (optional, for 2nd models only) Run installation of system programs (cifs driver, mount.cifs and rsync at this moment): install_sys_progs.oar
4. Run installation of program itself: install.oar
5. "otfm" folder can be removed after rebooting.
Hi there,
the first instruction it says that you unpack the RAR file to the device internal memory.

I am runing Windows and I do not have access to the internal memory of my M92 device. How is it possible to unpack the RAR file?

Or can I unpack the file to the SD memory and run the install off the SD memory?
Kevin
kevin.pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Mono
Mono

By internal memory is meant m92's memory storage accessible to user via USB connection (the memory where you may copy documents to.).

You may unpack it in PC and unpacked content copy to M92.

I am not sure, if instalation works as it should if you place the files on SD card...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
kevin.pugh
kevin.pugh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
By internal memory is meant m92's memory storage accessible to user via USB connection (the memory where you may copy documents to.).

You may unpack it in PC and unpacked content copy to M92.

I am not sure, if instalation works as it should if you place the files on SD card...

Hi Mono,
you are correct in what you say.

I was unable to install off the SD card, but when I copied the expanded folder to the visible area on the device (that is, visible on my PC via the USB cable) I was then able to install once I navigated to that folder on the m92 and launched the OAR file.

Thanks for your feedback
kevin.pugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
nsg
nsg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I had some difficulties installing otfm. It did not want to install cifs support.
I noticed that it tries to copy module into

/lib/modules/2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7/kernel/fs/cifs

but there is no such directory in my device. On my device it is called

/lib/modules/2.6.35.3-g421e7b9-dirty/kernel/fs/cifs

I am mildly disturbed by this "dirty" suffix. Does it mean something?

So I changed it and it worked fine, it was able to connect to a share and display directory, even synced with a subfolder i set up. I was ecstatic. That is until i tried to disconnect and it ereased the entire share before unmounting. Unfortunately it was my "readable files" storage, so that was quite unpleasant.

So created separate share for experimenting and it does exactly this: it deletes the entire contents of a share right before unmounting.
I cannot believe this is intended behavior, so i must be doing something wrong. I would appreciate if somebody help me figure out what is going on there.
nsg is offline   Reply With Quote