Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #121
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
LOL - I don't want to look like Zack from Saved by the Bell. I like my phones small. The Galaxy Note looks like you are holding a giant slab up to your face!
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #122
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I don't care!

Only need the phone once in a while, can always use my bluetooth earpiece if I get vain. Really just want a good, portable tablet with a stylus (like my HP iPAQ Pocket PC was and my PE is). Having phone capabilities means I don't have to carry 2 things.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #123
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Do I have the latest Allmine? How do I tell?

I flashed twice, once with
update.zip.ermine-0.9.PE dated 5/29/11

And again with
Allmine-latest-update downloaded 12/14/11
along with
gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed downloaded 12/14/11

Is there a later version of Allmine or Ermine? Can I just reflash with newer Allmine or would I need to go clear back to Dingo and start over (which I would really not enjoy)

Not sure if there's any advantage, it's working fine (including all the google stuff I use and also the market) .. any new features I am missing?

Thanks, Alan
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #124
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Hey hey hey!!! How cool is that "Golden Allmine Ermine RC3"??? Suddenly I have 2.3gb of app storage (in place of the anemic 320mb I had before), that's EIGHT TIMES the app space I had before

So as not to lose the apps I already had installed, I copied my /data/app/ folder to the sdcard. Added the rc3 and gapps zip files to the root of my sdcard, and reflashed the PE.

It worked absolutely great! Can't find a thing that's not working yet. Am in the process of re-installing (from my /extsdcard/data/app/ folder, see above) the apps I want and skipping those that weren't so good after all!!

Also, the Android Market is offering to re-install about 30 apps, a few of them I want, the rest were those apps I tried out and didn't want to keep. So is there a way to remove apps from the "MyApps" list on the Market?

Thanks again for everything
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #125
oilstain
oilstain began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Anyone else come across the issue of the shrinking keyboard?

As per the beginning of the thread, I added the following lines:

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=60
ro.sf.lcd_density=120

I like all of the changes, especially the resolution. However, the keyboard apparently thinks the screen is the old size still and only fills in 3/4ths of the width of the screen.

Anyone else have this problem? I've confirmed that remming out the density line and rebooting changes the resolution back and the keyboard is full again.

Anyone know how to tell the keyboard that the resolution is bigger?

Thanks!
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #126
Vanscot
Vanscot began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Hi, as I posted in another thread (before reading this one), I have an allmine installation on my pocket edge and for some reason I can't get the home button to work.
I'm not sure why does this happen.
Also, is there a way to auto-execute a script in the sd-card or something like that?
I have the library on the internal memory and sometimes I want to open documents with the Documents to Go app, but since the library folder is hidden (resides in a .folder) I can't access it from the documents app.
I managed to mount the library into another folder where the Documents to Go can access the files, but I need to rerun the mount command everytime I reboot the reader.
My idea is to somehow do it at startup.

Also, is there any screenshot comparing the default pe lcd resolution against the one specified in the build.props to see if there is any noticeable improvement?

Thank you!
Vanscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #127
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanscot View Post
Hi, as I posted in another thread (before reading this one), I have an allmine installation on my pocket edge and for some reason I can't get the home button to work.
I'm not sure why does this happen.
I'm not sure why you're having that problem (might be hardware), but you may want to look into a software key replacement application, like Softkeys. (I haven't tried it on the eDGe, to be honest.)
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #128
Vanscot
Vanscot began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Ok, I'll try that, thank you!
Vanscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #129
plasticarmyman
plasticarmyman began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader 101
has anyone tried using the V6 supercharger script on this device?....i'm just curious as to what different people's experiences with it might be...
plasticarmyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #130
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticarmyman View Post
has anyone tried using the V6 supercharger script on this device?....i'm just curious as to what different people's experiences with it might be...
Possible blue smoke and/or WSoD are the first things that come to mind.

The PE was built to the minimum specifications with components that work as long as you don't go beyond the basic specifications. Many of the people that tried video acceleration ended up wit a WSoD and a useless unit.

Almost all the tales of woe in this forum are because someone tried to push the specs and the unit gave up.

If you want something with go-fast stripes then you need a different device, not a PE.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #131
plasticarmyman
plasticarmyman began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader 101
okay...do you know what the V6 supercharger script is?....because it doesn't sound like it...

it's simply a memory manager program, it changes the OOM settings and the Min Free settings for the device to make it run a bit smoother...

in laymans terms it is basically an auto task killer...but it makes Android do it by itself rather than installing a program to do so....

and it also free's up extra RAM..

so yeah...anyone who HAS used V6 supercharger?....
plasticarmyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #132
auda
auda began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
just got my full sized edge yesterday and i am loving it

now i want to update it , but i am afraid that i will lose some of the features already found in dingo

what i am really concerned about :

5. E-ink PDF Annotation - Limited underlining capabilities in portrait mode, doesn't work in landscape mode.

can someone explain what "limited" means (the things that i wont be able to do after the update)

also

5. Limited options for dumping items from the LCD to the e-ink side.
(again how it is limited)

i know i can easily downgrade to dingo if i didnt like this upgrade , but i am just afraid that something happens to the tablet during the process
auda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #133
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by auda View Post
just got my full sized edge yesterday and i am loving it

now i want to update it , but i am afraid that i will lose some of the features already found in dingo

what i am really concerned about :

5. E-ink PDF Annotation - Limited underlining capabilities in portrait mode, doesn't work in landscape mode.

can someone explain what "limited" means (the things that i wont be able to do after the update)

also

5. Limited options for dumping items from the LCD to the e-ink side.
(again how it is limited)

i know i can easily downgrade to dingo if i didnt like this upgrade , but i am just afraid that something happens to the tablet during the process
I'm glad that you are happy with your EE.

A word of warning, if you do update it make sure you get the update file for the EE NOT the ones for the PE - check before downloading and check after downloading.

I have never had any problems with marking a PDF on the e-ink screen be it lines, squiggles or anything else. Can't comment on landscape mode, I've only used it once in all the time I've had my EE.

I think the answer to your second concern is along the lines of, it depends what you want to move from the LCD to e-ink. I tend to use the built in facility in the default browser to dump information from the net to e-ink.

I do know that I've not lost functions of the e-ink by upgrading to the standard Ermine for EE. We have lost the ability to take still pictures though - they are distorted green images, the video does work without problems.

I will let someone that has updated to version with the market on it comment on that as I am not interested in accessing the market so haven't tried that update.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #134
auda
auda began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
I'm glad that you are happy with your EE.

A word of warning, if you do update it make sure you get the update file for the EE NOT the ones for the PE - check before downloading and check after downloading.

I have never had any problems with marking a PDF on the e-ink screen be it lines, squiggles or anything else. Can't comment on landscape mode, I've only used it once in all the time I've had my EE.

I think the answer to your second concern is along the lines of, it depends what you want to move from the LCD to e-ink. I tend to use the built in facility in the default browser to dump information from the net to e-ink.

I do know that I've not lost functions of the e-ink by upgrading to the standard Ermine for EE. We have lost the ability to take still pictures though - they are distorted green images, the video does work without problems.

I will let someone that has updated to version with the market on it comment on that as I am not interested in accessing the market so haven't tried that update.
thanks alot ivanjt for your explanation

i think i have the courage now to upgrade

i will try it tomorrow so wish me luck

thanks again for your reply
auda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #135
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations, welcome, and good luck, auda!

Let us know how it goes.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote