Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Hands on with Alex Ereader

Looks kind of cool:

The one thing I don't like: the page turning buttons looks awfully small. I wish I had bigger page turning buttons on my Kindle and this one is even smaller.

Last edited by thinkpad; 03-18-2010 at 04:49 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Not keen on twin-screen devices -- just too far divorced from the traditional book for me. But this looks a neat piece of work, and the two-screen Nook appears to be a big hit. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This actually looks kind of nice. But, if I am going to spend $400 I think I will go for the eDGe which is only $100 more and I think gives you a lot more flexibility for video and browsing with the full sized LCD side.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Nice. Looks like it has some capability I was expecting/hoping for with the Nook. Unfortunately, I don't know that eink devices are long for this world. They tend to be costly. With the new wave of tablets coming out with improved display technologies like Pixel Qi, there seems to be little incentive to spend that kind of money on a dedicated eink device. I am very seriously considering the Notion Ink Adam as my next ereader. A device like the Alex would have been nice, say, a year ago but I don't think I could justify this kind of a purchase today.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Nice. Looks like it has some capability I was expecting/hoping for with the Nook. Unfortunately, I don't know that eink devices are long for this world. They tend to be costly. With the new wave of tablets coming out with improved display technologies like Pixel Qi, there seems to be little incentive to spend that kind of money on a dedicated eink device. I am very seriously considering the Notion Ink Adam as my next ereader. A device like the Alex would have been nice, say, a year ago but I don't think I could justify this kind of a purchase today.
Of course you are getting 3rd gen eInk screens this year and while (maybe by the end of the year) 1st gen color/b&w hybrids. eInk has also said they will be releasing color screens this year too.

So, perhaps b&w eink screens won't be around much longer... but eInk screens certainly will be around.

BOb
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Ugh, the guy kept saying "libarry" instead of library...I hate that.

The whole thing just sort of rubs me the wrong way, I don't like the set up at all. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but nothing that I believe are all that well done, of course that's just my impression from the brief youtube video.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
Oh... yea.. I was going to post that... he said liberry several times.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I thought I heard it wrong. It is annoying.

My step daughter does something similar. She says 'sawl' for having seen something. She also has a masters in sociology. Go figure.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yeah, first thing that hit me too was "lieberry". Once is forgivable, but dayum.

I wonder if he...[edited out: bad phonetics]
After the show, perhaps hit up an Italian restaurant for a nice big plate of "s'getty".

Not much to say about the Alex that I haven't said already. Cool idea, but hate that there's only one pageturn direction button on each side, and will never be a fan of the super-slow generation of EPDs.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 03-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
If everyone is complaining about how someone makes a mistake in pronouncing a word, I am glad I am not around you. You would probably kill me within a day.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote