Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 AM   #31
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm not sure, sorry, I would have to check. But, anyway, as the only device with this kind of functionality is Kobo, because of the Kobo Utilities Plugin (CC handles it automatically), I don't see the object of modifying Reading List.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:48 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm not sure, sorry, I would have to check. But, anyway, as the only device with this kind of functionality is Kobo, because of the Kobo Utilities Plugin (CC handles it automatically), I don't see the object of modifying Reading List.
The way I see it, if it's possible, the Reading List UI is perfect for this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #33
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then we should agree to disagree I agree with David in this.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
How? Just select the books you want to update the metadata for on the device and use the update metadata in the utilities plugin. Or use a Reading List and do an update for these.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #35
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are using the plugin to store the reading status of the books, the plugin can be used to restore them.
That's what I was doing, but I have some problem with my plugin configuration, so forcing an update of the metadata of the books I already have in the device wreaks havoc on the shelves structure of other books I'm not updating (deletes the other books from their shelves), so I'm doing it directly on the database.
Besides, I wanted to restore the date created for books I haven't read yet, so the order by date in my TBR collection works for when I'm not in the mood for a particular genre and I want to read just the next book that's been waiting for ages there (yes, I'm picky and I have a really LOOOONG To Be Read pile)

Now I'm thinking, I should put my retired Kobo Mini to work and try to figure out why the manual update metadata doesn't work.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
That's what I was doing, but I have some problem with my plugin configuration, so forcing an update of the metadata of the books I already have in the device wreaks havoc on the shelves structure of other books I'm not updating (deletes the other books from their shelves), so I'm doing it directly on the database.
If there is a problem with the plugin that needs to be fixed, then tell me and I'll look at it. But, I can't think of any way that updating metadata would affect collections unless you are updating the metadata used for the collections. And in that case, isn't that supposed to happen? Of course, it also depends on where you update the metadata. Changing the metadata in calibre doesn't get pushed to the device except for collections and series info. That's done by the driver when the device connects and depends on options. If you use the utilities plugin to update the metadata on the device, then it doesn't affect the collections.
Quote:
Besides, I wanted to restore the date created for books I haven't read yet, so the order by date in my TBR collection works for when I'm not in the mood for a particular genre and I want to read just the next book that's been waiting for ages there (yes, I'm picky and I have a really LOOOONG To Be Read pile)
You mean like setting the date for the book on the device to something like the date the book was added to your calibre library? Or maybe the publishing date? If so, I posted a beta of the plugin with options to do this a couple of weeks ago. It is in the plugins thread in the calibre forum.
Quote:
Now I'm thinking, I should put my retired Kobo Mini to work and try to figure out why the manual update metadata doesn't work.
If you run calibre in debug mode and post the log, I can look and see if there is anything strange going on. Of course, if an error is being displayed, then post the full details for me to see.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #37
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
If there is a problem with the plugin that needs to be fixed, then tell me and I'll look at it.
Thanks davidfor, as nobody else is reporting my problems, I think is more something on my side. It's not with an operation I usually perform, that's why I haven't look into it, if I decide to test it, I'll ask for your help.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #38
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I quite often update my 'central copy' and forget to update the device copy.
You are not alone. I have this exact same problem. When I edit, I edit multiple books at once but then forgets to send. I was searching for a way to identify the books that are updated in the library but not in device. There isn't any that I can see.

Quote:
Why doesn't the Reading List plugin work for you?
My reason is simple, I have separate structure for my fiction and non-fiction books (All my fiction books are under author-name folder but non fiction books are not). So, while sending to device, before moving from fiction to non-fiction, I manually change the 'send to structure' in device configuration. This will not work with the reading list solution.

I prefer a solution where it shows me the list of books that are not updated in the device and leave the choice to me. I believe 'safe-eject button' plugin would be a better fit for this.

Quote:
all you really need to do is sort by the modified date in the calibre library and send anything that has been modified since the last time you synced to that device. That will include books where the metadata has changed but the book contents haven't, but it is a good starting point.
That is the exact reason why this doesn't work. Whenever I connect, the kobo utilities will update the reading position/status. So, last_modified for all books are same.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
My reason is simple, I have separate structure for my fiction and non-fiction books (All my fiction books are under author-name folder but non fiction books are not). So, while sending to device, before moving from fiction to non-fiction, I manually change the 'send to structure' in device configuration. This will not work with the reading list solution.

I prefer a solution where it shows me the list of books that are not updated in the device and leave the choice to me. I believe 'safe-eject button' plugin would be a better fit for this.
The Reading List plugin will still work for you. You can set it so you can add the books to the list but not have them auto-sent to the Reader. Then when you plug in your Reader you can look at the list and send them yourself and then clear the list. It would mean you don't have to remember what books you want to send.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-16-2017 at 06:41 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Have you tried constructing the save template that does this for you?
Quote:

That is the exact reason why this doesn't work. Whenever I connect, the kobo utilities will update the reading position/status. So, last_modified for all books are same.
Except that you are still looking at the books modified since the previous connection. This now includes the books you have modified because of the reading status. Unless you are only connecting once a month, that isn't going to be many books. Plus the plugin only updates the metadata that has changed. If there are no differences for a book for the selected metadata, it shouldn't do anything for that book.

But, I'd probably do what JSWolf suggested and use a reading list for these changes. Add all the books I've fiddled with to it and at connect time decide the action - send or update metadata.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #41
vjjustin
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Reading List plugin will still work for you. You can set it so you can add the books to the list but not have them auto-sent to the Reader.
Okay, I guess this could work. Let me have a look in the plugin.
Quote:
Have you tried constructing the save template that does this for you?
I was talking about the save template. But how do we change save template to have authors folder only for fiction books? I have a custom column (fiction/nonfiction) that can be used for comparison, but don't know how to do this. Currently I change the template each time I move between saving a fiction to nonfiction and vice versa.

Another reason is that I very recently started actively managing my books using calibre. So, I am doing lot of work everything from book cover updates to collections to custom patch work. So, it is more of a mess than it should be.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was talking about the save template. But how do we change save template to have authors folder only for fiction books? I have a custom column (fiction/nonfiction) that can be used for comparison, but don't know how to do this. Currently I change the template each time I move between saving a fiction to nonfiction and vice versa.
I was afraid you were going to ask that

I'll have to answer properly from home tonight. But, the manual for the template language is at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html. And https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100949 has a lot of examples that could help. I'd be looking at something with either "contains" or "strcmp".
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #43
vjjustin
Enthusiast

Quote:
I was afraid you were going to ask that

I'll have to answer properly from home tonight. But, the manual for the template language is at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html. And https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100949 has a lot of examples that could help. I'd be looking at something with either "contains" or "strcmp".
Thank you, 'lookup' did the trick.

If anyone interested, this is what I use,
Code:
{#folder1:lookup(Non Fiction, , authors)}
I have a custom column folder1 with fiction/nonfiction (You could use collections as well most probably). Lookup will return nothing if it is nonfiction else it will return author name.

Complete save template
Code:
Books/{#folder1}/{#folder2}/{#folder3}/{#folder4}/{#folder1:lookup(Non Fiction, , authors)}/{series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}  {series_index:0>2s|| - } {title}