Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
count0
count0 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
correcting library structure

I added some books that had bad file names or embedded metadata, and Calibre set up the library directory structure accordingly. Now that I am going through and correcting the metatdata, the folder structure is still incorrect. When I go through an ftp connection straight to the book files I want to be able to look through the corrected data for the book. I realize going through Calibre is ideal, but, for example, if I'm on my tablet I can't use Calibre to grab a new book from my library and I don't want to have to start up the laptop just to find an author.

The only way around this that I can see is to correct the info, save to disk, add the corrected book to Calibre and then delete the old record. Does anyone have any easier ideas? That is a very labor-intesive way to do fix things, it seems.
count0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
How else could you possibly do it? Calibre isn't going to know you changed the book by magic.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you find the work to be too much for you, you could hire someone to do it for you. It would be significantly less labor intensive for you.

It is good practice to fix books immediately when you add them. At the very least author and title. Otherwise there really is no point in having the books managed by Calibre.

Also note that the books stored in the Calibre library typically doesn't have the updated metadata stored in them. The updated metadata is instead stored in a separate database file metadata.db. That is one reason why it normally is a bad idea to even bother looking inside the Calibre library. Use send to device or folder or save to disc. Those books will have the updated metadata inside them.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by count0 View Post
Now that I am going through and correcting the metatdata, the folder structure is still incorrect.
I find that statement to be very strange because it begs the question: What were you expecting?

If you entered the correct title and author then the book is stored as:
<path to calibre library>/<author>/<title>/<title.extension>

This is both normal and correct assuming you're talking about a computer not an ereader (many of which have their own file systems for storing ebooks). Calibre has to control the organization of your library in a specific structure otherwise it cannot know where files are located. Calibre uses the exact info entered per book to create the structure used to store your books.

If you are not seeing your calibre library of books arranged in this manner than something is wrong.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I might be missing something, but I think this should help.

If you add a book to calibre, it adds it to the database and puts it into the library directory structure. If you then change the author or title in calibre, calibre will update the database and rename/move the book to reflect the changes. But, it doesn't update the metadata in the book. This can be done via a conversion or using the Modify ePub plugin (I prefer the latter). Calibre will also update the book when you do a save to disk or send to a device, but it only updates the new copy created, not the one in the library.

If you get a new copy of a book, or have done the save to disk that you mention, you can replace the copy in the calibre library. Find the book in calibre and select it. Then drag and drop the new copy onto the details pane for the book. If the book is of the same format as one already there, it will replace that. You can also do this via the edit metadata dialog.

As you are accessing your library via FTP, maybe you should consider running calibre in server mode. You can then browse and download books. I'm not an expert in this, but there is discussion about this here and in the user manual.

If we've missed something, maybe you can rephrase the question.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert