Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should voting in 2013 be Hidden, Visible, or Alternate from month to month?
Visible 27 71.05%
Hidden 6 15.79%
Alternate 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Too late...missed it too. :/ Anyway, as a now and again participant, I love the variety of alternating hidden/open and haven't had an issue with it. I love seeing the way the votes go, but there is a small thrill when the results of the hidden poll are unveiled. Since I'm happy to participate whenever I can, I don't have a strong opinion on any of the methods and will happily use whatever poll the majority wants.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because a hidden vote means that people aren't influenced by what they see other people voting for. It just seems a better system all round to me.
But doesn't an open poll give us more information to take into account so that we are able to make an even more informed decision??? Isn't that something that every true democrat wishes, all available information laid out to all persons concerned?

But seriously (and others have said it here with much more eloquence): I don't doubt the quality of the decisions found by hidden votes. I would agree that it might be higher than with open votes although one can't measure it properly. The problem is that the quantity of the communication has declined, and that's why we want to have open voting back.

Last edited by Billi; 11-24-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
But seriously (and others have said it here with much more eloquence): I don't doubt the quality of the decisions found by hidden votes. I would agree that it might be higher than with closed votes although one can't measure it properly. The problem is that the quantity of the communication has declined, and that's why we want to have open voting back.
I strongly suspect you're going to get it back regardless of my views .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I prefer hidden voting. It's more democratic.
This is a puzzlement. In both systems, everyone gets a vote and the polls are open long enough so that everyone has the chance to vote. That's as democratic as it gets.

That said, part of a vibrant democracy, it seems to me, is to encourage the free and open exchange of ideas and infomation. There's a tendency with closed votes for people to feel they can't discuss the process, so if I had to choose one option as being less democratic, it would be a closed vote. But in truth, so long as there's equal opportunity to vote, it's all democratic to me. Open or closed, people will pick whatever seems their best option given the infomation they have, so the issue becomes which option encourages participation. And it seems obvious to me that's an open vote.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Hidden votes stifle discussion. This is a discussion forum, is it not?

Open voting is my choice.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I prefer hidden voting. It's more democratic.
Quote:
Because a hidden vote means that people aren't influenced by what they see other people voting for. It just seems a better system all round to me.
I feel the same and have voted as such.

I would like to add, that if we get "multiple vote" voting, however, then this will be much less of an issue, for me, personally.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-23-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I voted to have an open poll, but really I am very much in favour of multiple choice voting and if that were the chosen method I really wouldn't care if the poll were closed.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Well put, sun surfer! I agree with Jon that closed votings give the truer results, but the price is too high. There have not been more people participating in the voting, in the voting thread nor in the discussion thread.
I voted alternate so we can see what happens for each type of voting and then decide on hidden or visible based on the results for 2013.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I voted visible, as I feel it does stimulate more open discussion. And if that encourages lobbying, so what? I have no problem with someone trying to persuade me to pick their choice. I have a mind of my own, and will only be swayed if the argument makes sense.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have voted Visible as I find the more open discussions informative where I don't already know the book and/or author, as well as enjoyable.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I hesitated in voting on this. I've not been involved in any of the book clubs for most of this year, but *one* of the reasons I dropped out was the lobbying for and eventual implementation of hidden voting. I really would like to become involved again and because of that I've voted for visible.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I voted "alternate". I think it's more fun that way.

I also like "hidden" because the votes seem to be closer.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I clicked on the "hidden" option, and this poll is actually hidden.

What have I won?
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
We have a clear winner. All 2013 votes will return to being visible.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-30-2012 at 02:30 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote