Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #331
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I mean, when does the Fire morph into a phone?
Three months more.
The FireHD9 LTE was delayed in FCC testing because Amazon is using an inhouse modem instead of a generic one. You don't spend money designing, building, and testing a part that is readily available to use in just one low volume product like that. You *do* design it if it you are *also* going to use it in a high volume product.
It *really* makes sense to put that new part in a low volume product until you can ramp up yield and manufacturing capability to levels that can support a high volume product.
A Kindle phone meets the volume profile better than an LTE FireHD7 so it's the most likely candidate.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #332
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Is anybody surprised?
No. It would only be surprising if they sold out a huge number of these Mini versions. We don't know if they did or not. All that article says is they sold out the initial allotment made to the online store.

I don't think the ipad Mini will be fooling many people. At least this first iteration. It unfortunately is all too mini in terms of its specs. It needed to be a mini with maxi specs (or at least equal ones). It is not.

Last edited by PatNY; 10-29-2012 at 12:25 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #333
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
well, to be fair, I would probably have upgraded to the Fire HD if the 7" model had the cell option. I'd like that but not the 9" device. That said, the mini is too big for me at 8" so that wasn't going to be a game changer for me. I expect cell radios to find their way into the smaller models. I mean, when does the Fire morph into a phone? Seems inevitable...need more coffee...
I think Nexus is rumored to have cell.. probably would have been unveiled today if not for the storm.

As for the mini, I'd say at least check it out. It does have more screen real estate, being 4:3 aspect ratio and 7.85 inches, but it is lighter than any other 7 inch tablet out there (that I know of) and it has a pretty small form factor, I think, due to the reduced bezel. Weight bothers me much more than size--if the full-sized iPad were 10 oz I would be allll over it.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #334
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I think Nexus is rumored to have cell.. probably would have been unveiled today if not for the storm.

As for the mini, I'd say at least check it out. It does have more screen real estate, being 4:3 aspect ratio and 7.85 inches, but it is lighter than any other 7 inch tablet out there (that I know of) and it has a pretty small form factor, I think, due to the reduced bezel. Weight bothers me much more than size--if the full-sized iPad were 10 oz I would be allll over it.
The width dimension is the one that matters to me. I am not interested in anything I cannot put in my pocket. The Fire HD just fits in my pocket. Ironically, the mini does not.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #335
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It does have more screen real estate, being 4:3 aspect ratio and 7.85 inches, but it is lighter than any other 7 inch tablet out there (that I know of) and it has a pretty small form factor, I think, due to the reduced bezel. Weight bothers me much more than size--if the full-sized iPad were 10 oz I would be allll over it.
I like the 4:3 ratio and think it is more ideal for reading. Since I don't watch much video on portable devices, I don't like the trend towards making everything 16:9. I'd rather watch widescreen video letterboxed than have to read books on long thin displays.

As for the Mini being lighter, well you're only talking 1oz lighter in terms of the N7 and .04oz lighter than the Nook HD. It really isn't all that much. OTOH, the Mini does have a larger footprint. It's about 1/2" wider than the N7. Both weight and size matter in terms of portability. IMO, size slightly more.

--Pat
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #336
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I like the 4:3 ratio and think it is more ideal for reading. Since I don't watch much video on portable devices, I don't like the trend towards making everything 16:9. I'd rather watch widescreen video letterboxed than have to read books on long thin displays.

As for the Mini being lighter, well you're only talking 1oz lighter in terms of the N7 and .04oz lighter than the Nook HD. It really isn't all that much. OTOH, the Mini does have a larger footprint. It's about 1/2" wider than the N7. Both weight and size matter in terms of portability. IMO, size slightly more.

--Pat
Yeah the lighter part I think is significant considering the screen estate you also gain over the N7 and Nook HD. I haven't seen a mini in person yet, of course, but I think that the screen estate gain over typical long and skinny 7" devices might be very valuable for reading/browsing.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #337
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Yeah the lighter part I think is significant considering the screen estate you also gain over the N7 and Nook HD. I haven't seen a mini in person yet, of course, but I think that the screen estate gain over typical long and skinny 7" devices might be very valuable for reading/browsing.
As mentioned several times, the lower resolution means that the screen is wasted. It will show less content that the competing 7" tablets.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #338
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
But then again, you've diminished portability by making it wider. The whole 7" category of tablet is meant to be portable, and many will find anything larger than the traditional 7" size to stretch those boundaries.

Frankly, I'd like to see some tablets in the 6" size with high resolution displays. They'd be even more portable than any current 7-8" model, yet still be perfectly usable for reading.

--Pat
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #339
seajewel
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
As mentioned several times, the lower resolution means that the screen is wasted. It will show less content that the competing 7" tablets.
well it will be less crisp. and I am aware it has a lower resolution.. the low ppi is a big concern of mine and I'll have to judge for myself whether I can live with it. I don't think it's necessarily correct to say that it will show "less content." Certainly for reading books it can show just as much content as I want--I don't need teeny tiny font. I do understand it means the font will be less sharp and i don't like that.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #340
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily correct to say that it will show "less content."
You might disagree, but a screen of 1024x768 can't show the same content as a screen of 1280x800. It would be most apparent on websites.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #341
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily correct to say that it will show "less content."
I do understand it means the font will be less sharp and i don't like that.
In a way you're both saying the same thing. Fuzzier text *is* less content.

Look at it this way: the native screen resolution is a form of "bandwidth" for moving information from the gadget to the brain.
Less resolution = less "bandwidth" = less information.
Doesn't mean the difference is *always* relevant but if you size your gadget for peak usage rather than average usage it will be a bigger discriminator.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #342
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I think the only time when the iPad Mini would truly show more useful content is with fixed layout content like magazines or comics, where the 4:3 aspect ratio better matches the content layout.
Conversely, with video, the useful content viewable on the iPad Mini would be less than its resolution would suggest, as the 19:10 ratios of the Android tablets are a better match to the content.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #343
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Still batting 1.000, yes. I have an amazing, blessed life. I know exactly who I am. I am able to have everything I need and everything I could want.

I don't judge anyone on their preference in gadgets. I don't know their needs, their motivations, or their means. I'm fairly certain I have never said anything disparaging about any brand as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings accidentally, especially over something so trivial as a phone, reader, or tablet.

I don't feel so obligated when presented with such a rich vein of ignorance as you've given me by making the presumption you understand or know me.

Once in a very, very great while, when its late and the cognac has kicked in, or the meds have kicked off, I might return the favor.

But it's highly doubtful.
Good grief, get over yourself. I wasn't judging you on your preference for gadgets. I was chiding you on your implied arrogance in a playful manner and you took it so personally you felt a need to insult my intelligence and then top it off with even more arrogance and insults. It's nice you strive not to hurt anyone's feelings accidentally. Intentionally is so much more noble.

This is my last comment on this tangent, it's already gone too far. Have a good week.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #344
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
No. It would only be surprising if they sold out a huge number of these Mini versions. We don't know if they did or not. All that article says is they sold out the initial allotment made to the online store.

I don't think the ipad Mini will be fooling many people. At least this first iteration. It unfortunately is all too mini in terms of its specs. It needed to be a mini with maxi specs (or at least equal ones). It is not.
"Huge" is relative. I'm sure they sold a very large number of Minis. Meeting investor expectations is another matter.

You just never know with Apple products. I was certain the original iPad would be a failure. After all it was from a specifications standpoint. The Mini may well sell better than the iPad4. It may also boost sales of the Nexus from people who were waiting around expecting something better. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #345
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
"Huge" is relative. I'm sure they sold a very large number of Minis. Meeting investor expectations is another matter.
Isn't "very large number" relative as well? Here's what I think will happen: This version of the Mini will sell fairly well, but not enough to threaten the Kindle Fire or the N7 in this size category. And it won't approach the success of the original larger iPad. Some say Apple's aim is not to compete with the 7" tablets -- that they see the Mini as a breed apart -- but I think they very much want to dominate in the 7-8" category.

Quote:
You just never know with Apple products. I was certain the original iPad would be a failure. After all it was from a specifications standpoint. The Mini may well sell better than the iPad4. It may also boost sales of the Nexus from people who were waiting around expecting something better. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Not sure how you can say the original iPad was a "failure" in any sense. Sure, the ppi was slightly less than the best iOS devices at that time, but the overall technological package represented something new and unique back then, and right out of the box, it worked just as advertised. Its performance was superb. I agree with those who consider the original iPad to be innovative. From the start, I thought it would sell well due to the fact it was the only real option for tablets at the time.

--Pat