Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many books do you expect you'll read this year?
I don't read books. I come to Mobile Read for the fascinating conversations about Apple and Google. 5 1.86%
Probably about 25. 27 10.04%
Maybe about 50. 91 33.83%
I'm thinking about 100. 51 18.96%
More than 100, easily. Probably less than 1,000 though. 65 24.16%
I always aim for 365 books precisely. Whether I'll make it is anyone's guess. 2 0.74%
I think the idea of counting books is flawed and pointless, and I will probably derail this thread to say so repeatedly. 16 5.95%
None of these options are right for me, but I like voting. I want a bucket of kittens. 47 17.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
How many books will you read this year? (MULTIPLE CHOICE)

It's time for another UNUTTERABLY SILLY POLL. Please wait.

(This is framed in the annual GoodReads "reading goal" mentality.)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MULTIPLE CHOICE VERSION, woo-hoo. Mods may delete the older thread, and THANK YOU. My apologies for being so foolericious.
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I went for the kittens option (again). I've no idea how many books I'll read, a "reading goal" mentality seems an alien concept to me
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I went for the kittens option (again). I've no idea how many books I'll read, a "reading goal" mentality seems an alien concept to me
Here is your bucket of kittens.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I wish my bait shop supplied them in buckets...

I have found that my yearly total has been steadily decreasing over the last two to three years. I used to be able to plow through 150+ books in a year, now I'm shooting for 50. I seem to be reading longer books these days, and one 500 page book is five times fewer books than five 100 pagers!

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 01-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Haha, great thread. Around 50 for me.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'll probably hit around 50 this year.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I'm in the around one a week crowd
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
According to Goodreads, I read 41 in 2011 and 35 in 3010. I'm not a fast reader. I could set a goal of 50 and meet it (I could never reach 100), but then I would avoid reading long books so I try not to obsess about the number.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I plan to read a hundred. I got started late last year and read 65 so I think it will be no problem reaching my goal.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Easily 100, but I doubt I'll ever hit 1000...unless they are all novellas
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
So where's my bucket of cute, cuddly, little kittens???

I signed up for the 100 books in 2011 challenge when it started. I think I lasted a month before I realized I wouldn't make it even close. I'm a slow reader.

I just want to read and not spend time worrying about how many books I'll get to within a year. Too much pressure
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I should have read the thread before making my selection. Knowing that there was an actual bucket of kittens involved would have changed everything. I mean, I can use the link to look at the kittens but it wasn't meant for me.

I went with 50 for this year. I will read more, no doubt, but last year taught me that I feel way more awesome when I aim low and blow past it, than when I aim high and fail.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
More than 100. Last year, I read about 200 books. This year will probably be a bit less. My new job means I travel alone less and I used to read a lot when travelling. Probably about 150 this year.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
So where's my bucket of cute, cuddly, little kittens???

I signed up for the 100 books in 2011 challenge when it started. I think I lasted a month before I realized I wouldn't make it even close. I'm a slow reader.

I just want to read and not spend time worrying about how many books I'll get to within a year. Too much pressure
I'm with Pookeysgirl, but I saw the bucket of kittens you gave i_macd!! Well worth a vote!

I always have a book (or more) going, but no idea how many I read in a year. Sometimes they go fast, sometimes not. As long as I'm reading, and enjoying it, I don't really care how many I get through. How many I buy -- now that's another question (already asked I think)!

Thanks for the kittens!!!

P.S. Is it "none are" or "none is?" I always wonder . . . .

Last edited by Filark; 01-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote