Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Only canoodling here, but it seems to me that the sentence "Some people not only live for their love, but die because of it " is the comment or summation of the poster (TheHeroWithinMe); he then goes on to post and cite the quote from The Crow:
Buildings burn
People die
but real LOVE is forever

But that is only an extrapolation....
Yeah. I can see that. A little bit anyway. But it's weird too because he doesn't even add end punctuation to those sentences. Maybe he's like a Rain Man savant kind of Yahoo Answers guy that only posts once every seven years and no one can track him down. (Just sayin.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Doc! You know at first I thought that quote was kind of a haiku type tautology type thing, but it's been growing on me. (And I think Victor Hugo might have a little more gravitas than TheHeroWithinMe.) (Not to knock Hero, but Hugo is Hugo after all.)

I wonder if this epigraph might say romance more than thriller though. But it does say to "die" of love, which works well with my title. I wonder if it will have people as confused as I am as to what it means. I wonder if that would be a bad thing. I also wonder if it might be a good thing. Like, 'Wow, this thing is deep.' Ha ha.
Nope, I don't see thriller. It is a beautiful quote.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Don't use it.
Pretty much this. If in doubt, don't use it. Both my second and third novels got an epigraph fairly early in their writing, quotes from songs that I thought fit perfectly ... but then I worked out what might be involved in getting the okay to use those lyrics and they had to go. My first novel got to keeps its epigraph because the quote had no copyright issues (from an 1871 translation).

It becomes a question of: how important is it?

Some readers will never see it (Kindle editions made to jump right to the start of the story). Some readers won't notice it. Some readers won't like it. Which leaves you with those that see it, read it and like it. I have no idea what percentage that is, but I don't remember ever reading someone saying, "Gee, I wish that book had an epigraph."
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Doc! You know at first I thought that quote was kind of a haiku type tautology type thing, but it's been growing on me. (And I think Victor Hugo might have a little more gravitas than TheHeroWithinMe.) (Not to knock Hero, but Hugo is Hugo after all.)

I wonder if this epigraph might say romance more than thriller though. But it does say to "die" of love, which works well with my title. I wonder if it will have people as confused as I am as to what it means. I wonder if that would be a bad thing. I also wonder if it might be a good thing. Like, 'Wow, this thing is deep.' Ha ha.

Since you're not writing a literary novel (it's a mystery novel, after all), I don't think most readers will even care.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Nope, I don't see thriller. It is a beautiful quote.
I think you're right.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Pretty much this. If in doubt, don't use it. Both my second and third novels got an epigraph fairly early in their writing, quotes from songs that I thought fit perfectly ... but then I worked out what might be involved in getting the okay to use those lyrics and they had to go. My first novel got to keeps its epigraph because the quote had no copyright issues (from an 1871 translation).

It becomes a question of: how important is it?

Some readers will never see it (Kindle editions made to jump right to the start of the story). Some readers won't notice it. Some readers won't like it. Which leaves you with those that see it, read it and like it. I have no idea what percentage that is, but I don't remember ever reading someone saying, "Gee, I wish that book had an epigraph."
Thanks gmw. I think I'm going to go that route. (I'm just so used to reading them I never thought about doing without one. And esp. since with that "Look Inside" feature, the epigraph is just taking up valuable space.)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since you're not writing a literary novel (it's a mystery novel, after all), I don't think most readers will even care.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll do without it. (Crisis over!) Thanks.