Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
To try to compare an Nook color with an Kindle is like comparing a bicycle with a Porsche ^^.

An LCD based display e-reader is out of question.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm having a problem with all the praise being heaped on the Nook Color when nobody has any hands-on experience with it yet. How do we know it's any better than the Velocity Micro Cruz tablet, the Augen Book or the Pandigital Novel right now? When it finally comes out it could have just as many issues as the Pandigital and the Augen.
well basically the reason for the hype and more anticpation is pure specs. They are very impressive. You can't compare the specs of the Augen or Pandigital etc. the best anaolgy would be like comparing the specs of a Samsung HDTV to a sanyo.

the cheaper android tablets are running on older and in some cases first and second generation Android OS such as 1.6 . Screen resolutions are basic TFT specs usuall like 800 X 600 or less. and lower end processors.

on the Nook color on the other hand it appears BN did not skip at all on anything.
The screen is a 1024 x 600 on an LG IPS panal, that is pretty much top of the line.

It runs on Android 2.1 OS which is much more advanced and many high end smartphones such as the Galaxy S phones are running on 2.1 (Eclair) and the upgrade to Adroid 2.2 ealy next year which be able to run Flash 10.1

It also uses a Highe end processor in the TI OMAP 3 series, 3621 A8, those Walgreen/Kmart jobbies are not running this type of powerful processors.

So while I do agree with you, final judgment should wait for it to be released in the wild and let some reviews come out and of course like any product let the bugs get worked out.

but this high anticapted air about the nook color is based on it's fantatic specs, these are pretty much on par with the Galaxy S Tab but at half the price. Though yes the Galaxy S is a full feldge tablet.

But yeah the excitement and high interest in see what this thing can do is due to it's very high end specs.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Android on tablets equals garbage. It might be months or years before Google gets it right and before they allow the App Store on a tablet. Until then, no sale. After then, probably no sale as Android really is not a very good OS.

I'm sorry to say that is not exactly a well informed statement. You must understand the Android OS is an open OS. So pretty much any manufacturer can run it. You are basing your opinion on cheap companies using outdated Android OS using basic specs and cheap low end processor and pawning them off at Kmart Walgreens etc.

So as great as it is to be able to have an OS that is open, with the good comes the bad, Kind of polluting the pool if you will.

Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S. Tab running Android 2.2 to see what a high end Android tablet can do and I think you'll sing a much different tune.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Great analysis - I wholeheartedly agree. They are totally different devices and to compare them would be comparing apples to oranges.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm having a problem with all the praise being heaped on the Nook Color when nobody has any hands-on experience with it yet. How do we know it's any better than the Velocity Micro Cruz tablet, the Augen Book or the Pandigital Novel right now? When it finally comes out it could have just as many issues as the Pandigital and the Augen.
Have you seen video of the Velocity Micro Cruz and the Pandigital novel....

Those things are horrendous. I'd rather buy a nookcolor sight unseen then either of those.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
Could you please remove this post

Hi, could you please remove this post.

It's not cool to take an entire blog post and duplicate it.

A 100 to 200 word extract is fine if you want to quote it. However, taking an entire post isn't right.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I don't think that Nook Color will offer much competition to Kindle. Even if we leave features and specs aside (see Kindle vs. Nook Color for my take on the subject), consider this:

Kindle and NC are both ereaders targeted at people who embrace technology.

Kindle is mostly sold on Amazon.com. Who comes to Amazon.com? People who embrace technology and hence shop online.

B&N is mostly sold in brick and mortar book stores (bn.com is a mere side-show for their offline business). What kind of customers visit B&N stores? The kind that usually buys paper books in an offline store. Do you think technological gadget like Nook will appeal to them?..

Tell me, I'm wrong.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I agree they appeal to different consumers, because quite frankly one is an e-reader and one is not. The Kindle, Nook classic, Sony et al are devices created and marketed to visually simulate the experience of reading text printed on paper; it's the whole point of the technology and the very characteristic that created the market. The Nook Color does not do this. It may do other wonderful things that make it a great device worth owning, and some may find it perfectly suitable for reading books, but it's not in the same category.

This isn't Kindle loyalty on my part. B&N also sells the regular Nook, which by most accounts accomplishes the above mentioned tasks nicely and is a good product. I don't quite buy the notion that the Nook Color is the successor to the Nook. B&N would need to be remarkably foolish or just want to exit the market populated by the Nook classic, Kindle, Sony Reader and their ilk entirely. Amazon did not continue to produce the Kindle 2 after releasing the Kindle 3. B&N sells the Nook and Nook Color side by side.

I suspect a new generation Nook e-ink reader is forthcoming and will be surprised if it isn't. If they've made it known that they have no intention of doing this, forgive my ignorance.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I suspect a new generation Nook e-ink reader is forthcoming and will be surprised if it isn't...
I agree, the NOOK is certainly due for a cosmetic refresh at the very least. A new model will certainly get my attention. I'm still in the market for an e-ink device to complement the NOOKcolor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle vs nook color, nook color, nookcolor