Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #46
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Interesting locations in NYC. I have no knowledge and don't want to get us into trouble, but I assume it would be no harm to make guesses of the location. Let's see. Interesting locations for a Sony event about their book readers. Uh,

The New York Public Library (my best guess)
Grand Central Station (at 6 pm? forget it, you'd get trampled)
The Apple Store (nah, but that would certainly be curious)
The United Nations (to show that this will finally be an international product; nah)
MOMA (only if it's a new color e-ink device, which, of course, it can't be; nah)

Any other wild guesses out there?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #47
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
At the Met? (Only makes sense if it can handle music, I guess.... but you could read the libretto while listening to an opera.)

F.A.O. Schwartz - to celebrate actually offering kid's books, for a change?

Top of the Empire State Building, for a drop test?
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #48
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Chrysler Building - some big, fat publisher's headquarters near the top to announce a deal which will actually provide CONTENT to Sony's customers

The East River - for a test of the water resistance of the new device which has been tested to depths of 50 meters.

The headquarters of a wireless network company - to show off the new wifi capabilities of the next Reader

(by the way, the NYPL main branch would appear to close today at 6 pm, whether that's meaningful or not, who knows?)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #49
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
It's so lame, sony. I couldn't care less about this man-in-the-window thingy.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #50
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

That's it! The meeting is almost certainly going to be held in front of the window of the guy reading. The crowd will ooooh and aaaaah as he turns the pages with his thumb (although it would have been less inconvenient for him to do so had they left the button arrangement alone when they remodelled the Reader for the 505 and destroyed the originally terrific ergonomic feel of the thing).
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #51
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
My guess is it'll be in the Rainbow Room with the dramatic view behind whoever it is making the announcement.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #52
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
... Well I guess Sony is smart in this! If there is anything that will make electronic books soar in future, it is of course making kids today start getting used to them and the Reader!

Zevs
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #53
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think it is a new device, why have a guy reading a OLD device a month... Sure they can replace his device but wouldn't you have your new one in a event like the window guy
Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #54
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I don't think it is a new device, why have a guy reading a OLD device a month... Sure they can replace his device but wouldn't you have your new one in a event like the window guy
This is actually a very good point. They could have had the guy start reading a day later with the new device if a new device is to be released.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or they could make a big deal out of replacing the one he was reading on, if that's what they have in mind.

I suspect that the timing on him starting reading on the 1st has to do with October being National Book Month. That would make it a bit odd to start on the second day of the month.

Beyond that, who can tell what Marketing folks will do, or for what reasons. They're a law, and logic unto themselves when it comes to such things. I've never really understood some of the things they do.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #56
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Could it have something to do with formats; like maybe Sony is going full into ePubs?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #57
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
OK. who's going to start the bets?

I go for new store. /me bets 50 karma points.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #58
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
OK. who's going to start the bets?

I go for new store. /me bets 50 karma points.
You're on - my guess is they wouldn't bother with hype if it was just that. I'll also bet against new Reader hardware (except for an addition of wireless, which is conceivable, I think). What would I bet on? I really have no clue - only my previously and frequently expressed wish for a heck of a lot more titles.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #59
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I'm betting it's a big disappointment, whatever it may be. It cannot possibly satisfy everybody's hopes and opinions.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #60
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Or they could make a big deal out of replacing the one he was reading on, if that's what they have in mind.

I suspect that the timing on him starting reading on the 1st has to do with October being National Book Month. That would make it a bit odd to start on the second day of the month.

Beyond that, who can tell what Marketing folks will do, or for what reasons. They're a law, and logic unto themselves when it comes to such things. I've never really understood some of the things they do.
Can anyone see what he's doing well enough to be sure he's reading a 505?
Closed Thread