Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
More Readers Picking Up Electronic Books

More Readers Picking Up Electronic Books

Quote:
For a decade, consumers mostly ignored electronic book devices, which were often hard to use and offered few good things to read. But this year, thanks in part to the popularity of Amazon.com’s wireless Kindle device, the e-book has started to take hold.
Quote:
“The perception is that e-books have been around for 10 years and haven’t done anything,” said Steve Haber, president of Sony’s digital reading division. “But it’s happening now. This is really starting to take off.”
Quote:
E Ink, the company in Cambridge, Mass., that has developed the screen technology for many of these companies, says it is testing color screens in its labs and hopes to introduce them by 2010.

Last edited by DonaldL.; 12-23-2008 at 03:03 PM.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks, very interesting article. it seems ebooks are really taking off finally. i found this statistic quite interesting :
Quote:
Amazon’s Kindle version of “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle ” by David Wroblewski, a best seller recommended by Ms. Winfrey’s book club, now represents 23 percent of total Amazon sales of the book
mitigating circumstances mean it's probably not representative, but i think it might not be too far off either...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks, very interesting article. it seems ebooks are really taking off finally. i found this statistic quite interesting :

mitigating circumstances mean it's probably not representative, but i think it might not be too far off either...
That is a cool statistic.

I was going to pick it up when it first came out (I think Sony was offering it for free or really cheap), forgot, and now refuse because it is an Oprah book.

I just can't bring myself to it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like their use of the word "fetishistic" to describe print book lovers. It's inspired me to add two commercials to the Commercials I would love to see thread...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That is a cool statistic.

I was going to pick it up when it first came out (I think Sony was offering it for free or really cheap), forgot, and now refuse because it is an Oprah book.

I just can't bring myself to it
Oh, I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
... is that all it takes? If I refuse to read that book because it's an Oprah book... will you like me too

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
heh heh. 8 years of working in a bookstore didn't help me.

I remember:

customer: "Hi, do you have that new John Steinbeck book?"
Me:
Customer: "You know, that one on Oprah?"
Me:
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

I remember:

Me:
Me:
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

I remember:

Me:
Me:
I think I would burst a vein in my head. On the bright side, at least they're going to be reading Steinbeck.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Me:
Me:
You must have worked their quite a while ago. Didn't Steinbeck die in 1968? Was Oprah on back then?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Even authors who were once wary of selling their work in bits and bytes are coming around. After some initial hesitation, authors like Danielle Steel and John Grisham are soon expected to add their titles to the e-book catalog, their agents say.
..and even better, that means more authors who have been sitting on the fence will be adding their titles
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You must have worked their quite a while ago. Didn't Steinbeck die in 1968? Was Oprah on back then?

BOb
Exactly his point, hence the facepalm smilie.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason things recommended by Oprah are so popular is that a most Oprah followers are lemmings and will go out and get whatever it is she thinks is good even if it's not. And they will think they've enjoyed it even it it's not good.

I did download the free MS Reader version of The Tales of Edgar Sawtelle but have not read it because I found out not long after that Oprah recommended it. So it's just sitting on my hard drive unread. Now if Oprah had recommended this book, I might have started it. But as I am not a lemming or an Oprah fan, I probably never will read it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Good to hear that all those new Kindle owners won't be welcome on Mobileread. After all we wouldn't want lemmings, would we.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I worked at a bookstore, too, for almost 20 years.

Many customers are often notoriously inaccurate, lazy, and dead-wrong.

Here are some true examples (except for my written responses):

CUS: Do you have that book that was on [Cavitt, Oprah, Donahue] last night/yesterday/this morning?

ME: Sorry [lady, sir], I had to work while you sat home on your [put in the appropriate body part] and watched TV.

CUS: Do you have that new book that just came out? I can't remember the title or author, but it had a green dust-jacket.

ME: Why you stupid silly old [choose the best word that helps relieve your tension].

Actual bookstore comments by me to other bookstore employees. WARNING! One comment is not politically correct.

"I wish we could hire a midget to work the lower shelves. Just the lower shelves. It would easier for those of us who have bad backs."

"It's amazing how much work we can do when there are no customers."

"I'm thinking of arranging the books by the color of the Dust jacket."

"Why should we keep the books in categories, when the customers don't even return the books to their proper places?"

CUS: Why isn't this discount 20% off? 10 plus 10 is 20.

ME: No sir. You get 10% off for becoming a member. Ten percent is immediately applied to the price of the book for becoming a new member. Then another 10% is taken off that newer, lower price. It adds up to 19% discount.

CUS: So you're really lying, aren't you?

"Why are your books so high?"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote