Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #406
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'd pay good money right now for an e-ink e-reader which had audiobook integration and would allow me to read a book when waiting somewhere, and would read the book to me when driving (say patched in through an aux cable).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #407
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I was thinking the other day there should be an eink tablet available which also allows people to listen to audiobooks. People spend more time listening to audiobooks on devices other than ereaders and having the option to use the same device to read would be a plus. I know the kindle fire already does this but some people prefer eInk due to less stress on the eyes, ability to read outdoors, etc.
I don't understand the push to add audiobook support to eink devices. Phones are MUCH more common and can already handle this. The people who have an e-reader, but not a phone is likely vanishingly small.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #408
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I'd pay good money right now for an e-ink e-reader which had audiobook integration and would allow me to read a book when waiting somewhere, and would read the book to me when driving (say patched in through an aux cable).
Perhaps you don't know...but SOME of Amazon's books are dual Kindle/Audible. You can read on any Kindle device, then switch to any Audible device and pick up where you left of reading and vice versa.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #409
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The bottom line Kindle will play Audible books (via Bluetooth) in your car. If your car has an audio jack, you could pick up a used Sony PRS-650 or T1 to play MPEG audio books. Or you could get a portable Bluetooth speaker for your car and use the Kindle (if your car doesn't have Bluetooth).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-15-2018 at 03:17 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #410
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't understand the push to add audiobook support to eink devices. Phones are MUCH more common and can already handle this. The people who have an e-reader, but not a phone is likely vanishingly small.
I don't consider it "adding" – I consider it "restoring," as most of the early eReaders did have audio support.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-15-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #411
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't consider it "adding" – I consider it "restoring," as most of the early eReaders did have audio support.
Should car manufacturers 'restore' a hand crank to their engines?

I understand some early readers had speakers built-in. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that they were more rarely used than page turn buttons.

Hey, I wouldn't avoid an e-reader because it had built in Bluetooth audio support. But I don't understand why that is seen to be an important function when a phone can do the same thing at least as well or better and is far more commonly owned.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #412
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Should car manufacturers 'restore' a hand crank to their engines?

I understand some early readers had speakers built-in. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that they were more rarely used than page turn buttons.
Obviously you don't like page turn buttons, but (on my Readers that have them) they're used a lot. I didn't use speakers on my Kindle 3 (the only one that had them) but Readers having speakers is not what we're talking about here.

Quote:
Hey, I wouldn't avoid an e-reader because it had built in Bluetooth audio support. But I don't understand why that is seen to be an important function when a phone can do the same thing at least as well or better and is far more commonly owned.
Not everyone carries a smartphone. And (I've mentioned this before) for me a Reader and a smartphone are two different creatures. Keeping eBooks and lectures (or audio books) on an eReader just seems "normal" to me. It's a different "category."

But to each their own.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #413
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I'm confused as to how speakers and page turn buttons can even be compared. Of course speakers were used less than page turn buttons. Speakers are a special feature, page turn buttons were part of the core functionality of all e-readers prior to touch screens. And (for some of us) are still part of the basic requirements for purchasing an e-reader.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #414
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Obviously you don't like page turn buttons, but (on my Readers that have them) they're used a lot. I didn't use speakers on my Kindle 3 (the only one that had them) but Readers having speakers is not what we're talking about here.
Why would you assume that? I miss page turn buttons. I bought the Nook Glowlight 3 after all and it sure wasn't for that stellar firmware

My point is that buttons were dropped, just like speakers. They seem like a more useful feature on an e-reader than any sort of audiobook support.

Quote:
Not everyone carries a smartphone.
That's true. But I'd be curious to see the Venn diagram of people that don't have a cell phone but DO have an e-reader that they use to play audiobooks. There must be... dozens of such people.

Quote:
And (I've mentioned this before) for me a Reader and a smartphone are two different creatures. Keeping eBooks and lectures (or audio books) on an eReader just seems "normal" to me. It's a different "category."

But to each their own.
But in what way is an e-ink device better/more capable as an audiobook player than a phone, aside from 'the feels'?

An eink reader is better (for me) to read a book because the screen is more comfortable to stare at for long periods of time.

But when you are talking audiobooks, cell phones tend to have more internal storage, can use Wi-Fi and LTE to stream audiobooks not stored on the device and the LCD screen is more capable of flashy displays (say, a status bar to show how far along you are in the current track with an elapsed time on the left and time left on the right, changing second by second).

I'm just saying, even if I had an e-reader that could play audio, it is not a feature I would use.

Ask yourself, if you had a friend that primarily listened to audio books on her phone, would you suggest she go buy a Kindle instead because hey, you can listen to audiobooks on it? My guess is your answer is no.

But if you had a friend that read a lot of e-books on her phone, would you show her an e-ink reader? I bet you would.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #415
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm confused as to how speakers and page turn buttons can even be compared. Of course speakers were used less than page turn buttons. Speakers are a special feature, page turn buttons were part of the core functionality of all e-readers prior to touch screens. And (for some of us) are still part of the basic requirements for purchasing an e-reader.
Please don't be concerned about my views on the page turn button scandal. I miss them too.

I was just looking at two features that have been dropped from modern e-readers. That's all.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #416
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to attach a speaker to the Oasis so can listen out loud? like a mini speaker that gets plugged into the power outlet
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #417
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm just saying, even if I had an e-reader that could play audio, it is not a feature I would use.
Which was my point in saying, "to each their own." Obviously I feel differently. I like grouping reading and listening to books or lectures on the same device. When I use Bluetooth on my phone it's for listening to music, never for listening to books.

Choice is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #418
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to attach a speaker to the Oasis so can listen out loud? like a mini speaker that gets plugged into the power outlet
I think the original Oasis supports Bluetooth, so it would just be a matter of getting a Bluetooth speaker (some use rechargeable batteries, some plug directly into the wall).
Old 06-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #419
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think the only tragedy for eInk fans is Amazon becoming effectively a monopoly. There was a time when buying an eInk reader didn't lock you into the books from the device company.

But, as was true of Standard Oil - monopolies can be a good think and certainly do not unfailingly lead to higher prices. Amazon is a good steward of both it's eInk devices and it's Kindle book store.

What is SUPER helpful for eInk affectianado's is that so many other people enjoy reading ebooks on tablets and smartphones. There is no longer any doubt that a new title will come out in ebook form.

I think the market for ebooks themselves is quite healthy....given my earlier comment that monopolies are not always terrible (unless YOU are someone trying to compete with them)

I cannot totally agree. Easy to buy or download ebooks in Kindle compatible formats from other vendors and either crossload them from your computer to the Kindle reader or use it's email address to send them to it via email. I have used both techniques to obtain books formy Kindles. I believe ebook sellers like Dreamspinner can be given the email address of a Kindle device and email all books purchased through them direct to your Kindle.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #420
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
One acquaintance of mine uses the same Bluetooth speaker she uses with her phone and tablet to play audio from her Oasis 2. Lasts about 4 or so hours per charge. Personally, I think the sound is terrible but she seems to like it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote