Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle Oasis - will you Read with Cover On or Cover Off?
Cover On 8 9.09%
Cover Off 30 34.09%
Depends - sometimes on, sometimes off 33 37.50%
Not Sure 3 3.41%
Don't Care - I like voting in polls 14 15.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I prefer to read without a cover and have always used a protective, padded sleeve to store my ereaders when I'm not reading. I will use the Oasis cover in the same manner — pop out Oasis for reading, pop it back into cover for storage and charging.

I'm hoping Amazon will eventually offer covers as an accessory you can buy separately. I got the black cover because I was too impatient to wait for the merlot but if the merlot were available as an extra accessory, I'd probably buy it, then swap back and forth depending on my mood
Additional covers would come in handy to leave elsewhere - one in the bedroom and one in the living room or one at home and another at the office, etc.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Loose the case you have to send the Whole thing back to get a replacement.
Do you? Do we know this for certain?
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Additional covers would come in handy to leave elsewhere - one in the bedroom and one in the living room or one at home and another at the office, etc.
Certainly if the cases can charge independently which last time I checked in on the main thread people were still debating.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhis View Post
Once they build up stock, I'm sure Amazon will have replacement covers. It would be very short-sighted of them not to.

I'm pretty certain that after-market covers will soon appear once these manufacturers get their hands on an Oasis, if they haven't already done so.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-17-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Certainly if the cases can charge independently which last time I checked in on the main thread people were still debating.
Even if the cover can't be charged independently, you'll still have the Oasis to dock it to for charging once you get to the office or other location.
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
EVERY time I had to send an E-Reader back to Amazon for what ever reason they want Every thing that came with it. These Boxes are Sealed! When I returned my PW3 cause of a Light problem I asked if they could check it out Before shipping. Nope they Don't open the boxes. So You have a problem need a replacement you Will be returning the cases cords & every thing that came with it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
EVERY time I had to send an E-Reader back to Amazon for what ever reason they want Every thing that came with it. These Boxes are Sealed! When I returned my PW3 cause of a Light problem I asked if they could check it out Before shipping. Nope they Don't open the boxes. So You have a problem need a replacement you Will be returning the cases cords & every thing that came with it.
It makes sense to send everything back on a defective item that is being replaced. If you lose a cover it would be easier and less expensive for Amazon to sell you a new cover.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
It makes sense to send everything back on a defective item that is being replaced. If you lose a cover it would be easier and less expensive for Amazon to sell you a new cover.
Don't think so. My friends GD destroyed the Tablet Kids case she got for Christmas. She cant just buy another case for it. Amazon told her she has to send the Whole thing back. Crazy but true
Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Don't think so. My friends GD destroyed the Tablet Kids case she got for Christmas. She cant just buy another case for it. Amazon told her she has to send the Whole thing back. Crazy but true
This is understandable since they still have the case and since the case was destroyed: Amazon cannot guarantee the tablet wasn't hurt.
Yes: if I was Amazon I would assume the tablet was in the case at the time. No matter what the parent said.

Big difference between destroyed and lost.

Now since NO ONE (intentional caps here) has an Oasis yet, it is safe to say that we don't know what Amazon will do.
They may ask for everything back or they may just send a new cover.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Tablet Fine Case has Teeth bites & marks on it. She also picked it with her fingers.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now since NO ONE (intentional caps here) has an Oasis yet, it is safe to say that we don't know what Amazon will do.
They may ask for everything back or they may just send a new cover.
We'll ask for a volunteer:

Would one of you Oasis owners please volunteer to lose your cover when you get it? Then let us know how Amazon responds.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #27
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I'm sure that's easy to do at home, maybe not so much when you're out and about - for me, that would mean take kindle out of handbag, remove cover, put cover in handbag and reverse operation... Much easier currently to take Kindle out of handbag and just open the cover.

I wonder how many people are going to be forgetting covers on trains and planes
When I'm out I'd rather just put it in a cover and read it that way. I'm hoping Amazon or some third party sellers will have a light-weight form-fitting case with no battery. I think the Oasis battery will usually be enough that I won't need the extra battery.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #28
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Can't say I ever lost a cover, or a device. If I did, that would be on me. I would not expect the company to really care about that.

If I am out and about and have the need to take a reader, its on my to put the cover in my pure when not using. Or just read it in the reader for those few minutes. If I spend a lot of money on something, I tend to take care of it and watch where it is.

I bet at some point the covers are sold separately. Its just not thought about at launch.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #29
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
While it is nobody's business but mine whether I plan to read the thing naked, and though I voted "off", I can say that whether I read it cover-on or not will depend on where I am. It just seems wrong (and risky) to take it out of the house with the cover off, and if I'm laying it flat on a surface to read (as when eating), the lump on the back will cause it to not lie straight -- so in those situations, it'll be covered.

I suspect the cover will be going on and off a lot more than with my current PW1. I'll probably have to put it on a neck chain like a pocketwatch, a pocket-Kindle!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
While it is nobody's business but mine whether I plan to read the thing naked,...
I don't blame you. That's something you don't want to do in public