Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an updated (second generation) Aura HD?
yes 47 47.00%
no, but I would welcome a restyled design of the Aura HD which is (more) in line with the Aura 6" reader 3 3.00%
no, I own a Kobo Aura HD 28 28.00%
no, I own a Kobo Mini, Touch or Glo 6 6.00%
no, I own a different brand of ereader 2 2.00%
no, but I consider to buy the new Kindle Paperwhite 2 2.00%
no, but I consider to buy the new Kindle Paperwhite instead of the Aura 6" 3 3.00%
no, I want a Aura 6" with the new Carta screen technology 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
The changes are too incremental for me to consider replacing the Aura HD with an updated version. I've replaced my Sony PRS-900 with a PRS-950 when 950 was released because the improvement was drastic, but I held on to the 950 until this spring, when I got the Aura HD. With the patch from metazoa it's practically perfect
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
I like my aura HD so much that I've considered getting a second one just to have a spare! The size (which is perfect for me) and resolution have really spoiled me. If they come out with another one that is the same size but has the updates of the new Aura (edge to edge screen, new back), I would buy it in a heartbeat.
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Alternatives missing in Vote

At least one alternative is not electible in this vote:
x I would never want to have a Kobo again (not even, if it was a present. I would give it to my favorite enemy.)
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, I'm always going to come down on the side of greater contrast, at least until the reader as closely as possible approaches dark text on good paper. But I think you can get too bright, too. On the other hand, my Glo serves pretty well with the lighting on as low as 1%... So, if the question is will I buy the newer one with the better screen, the answer is not for a while, I think. I will stick with Kobo until somebody comes up with a significantly better widget. In for a penny... but, then I may be a masochist.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'd buy it IF: it maintained the screen size and resolution of the HD, was lighter in weight (that's the only thing I really dislike with the HD), and had more of an old Kobo style coating on the back. I don't really find it that slippery, but I really liked the pebbled back of the older style Kobo's. I'd also probably prefer to keep the IR touch, and I'm not sure if I'd like not having a recessed screen (since I tend to roll my thumb off of it to turn pages).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #21
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
The only "feature" i really want in a new e-reader is color e-ink for comic book reading so im waiting for basically the second (or even third) generation of E-ink Triton screens before i upgrade
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
The two main reasons I would consider the new Aura are:

1 Textured back, that's what made the kobo choice for me day one!
2 The new screen with its edge to edge look and feel.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I voted "no, I want a Aura 6" with the new Carta screen technology"

I just ordered the new Aura 6". I don't want a bigger, heavier reader (I have a Nook HD for that size). Smaller and lighter is the way to go, for me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
The two main reasons I would consider the new Aura are:

1 Textured back, that's what made the kobo choice for me day one!
2 The new screen with its edge to edge look and feel.

Regards

Jack
Because Aura HD sales have been great for Kobo, I would be surprised not to see new Aura HD when Carta screen is available to Kobo in early 2014.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I would like fast refresh with NO GHOSTING and would like reliable highlighting and note taking. Cut the bottom bezel down and round things a bit more for comfort and I'd happily buy another Aura HD.

At the moment though, I'm wanting to add the Sony T3 to the Aura HD, because I simply can't use the Aura HD for proofreading. I recently had pages of highlights and a few notes DISAPPEAR ENTIRELY from the Aura HD, meaning I had to put the book on my Sony T1 and read it a second time, making the same blamed notes and highlights all over again!

I gave the Aura a second chance as a proofreading device even though it is slower and less efficient than the Sony T1 for highlighting and note taking. It would take 5-6 tries per highlight on the Kobo to get the text I wanted highlighted vs. one try on the Sony. But after everything disappeared, never again!

On another book, I tried some light proofreading with the Kobo, and as I made my corrections, deleted the highlights. Only they didn't STAY deleted! They'd come back and show in the list multiple times.

In short, I wish the firmware designers would concentrate on fixing things that are necessary before messing with foofy stuff. The front light is nice, but I also need plain old reliability.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Well, if it has the tech of the Aura with larger screen (above 7"). I will definitely pre-order it. Also, remain or increase the 265dpi.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
Well, if it has the tech of the Aura with larger screen (above 7"). I will definitely pre-order it. Also, remain or increase the 265dpi.
I would like a device with a screen size without fractions or decimal components and smaller bezels. Bigger screen sizes require smaller bezels to keep the device more portable. I agree that a successor of the current Aura HD shouldn't drop in dpi as it can be interpreted/received negative. Whether a relative small change in dpi is actually visible or not.

7": 1600×1200 (285.71 ppi)
7.5": 1600×1200 (266.67 ppi)

Higher dpi for small screens.
6": 1080×810 (225 ppi)
6": 1200×900 (250 ppi)
6": 1400×1050 (291.67 ppi)
6": 1600×1200 (333.33 ppi)

Above screen resolutions are arbitrary but chosen to match the current 4:3 aspect ratio.

Kobo can decide to change screen size / resolution / dpi.

Current ereaders still can only display 16 grey scale levels. I really would welcome a 32 or 64 grey scale level reader. But this is in the hands of E Ink not Kobo.
Color screens are also welcome but only if the colors don't look faded or pale. The colors of the latest generation Triton screens still don't pop out compaired to TFT/LCD screens.
IMO not really ready for the market.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I would like a device with a screen size without fractions or decimal components and smaller bezels. Bigger screen sizes require smaller bezels to keep the device more portable. I agree that a successor of the current Aura HD shouldn't drop in dpi as it can be interpreted/received negative. Whether a relative small change in dpi is actually visible or not.

7": 1600×1200 (285.71 ppi)
7.5": 1600×1200 (266.67 ppi)

Higher dpi for small screens.
6": 1080×810 (225 ppi)
6": 1200×900 (250 ppi)
6": 1400×1050 (291.67 ppi)
6": 1600×1200 (333.33 ppi)

Above screen resolutions are arbitrary but chosen to match the current 4:3 aspect ratio.

Kobo can decide to change screen size / resolution / dpi.

Current ereaders still can only display 16 grey scale levels. I really would welcome a 32 or 64 grey scale level reader. But this is in the hands of E Ink not Kobo.
Color screens are also welcome but only if the colors don't look faded or pale. The colors of the latest generation Triton screens still don't pop out compaired to TFT/LCD screens.
IMO not really ready for the market.
I don't care about the decimal sizes but I am with you on the smaller bezel. Every time I cast eyes at the Aura HD I think picture frame for some reason.

Of course it is good for those with oversized hands, but one of the lesser reasons I seldom use it is that I like to read one-handed and it takes me several tries to get it positioned right. Even best case, I will accidentally bring up the menu while trying to turn the page.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I would absolutely buy one. If the Aura had the same dpi figure as the HD, I would almost consider replacing the HD with it. Once you realize the form factor that's possible, it makes the HD seem a little clunky.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #30
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
I will buy one, with hopes of a better material and binding for frame and bezel.
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, aura 6", aura hd, carta, poll