Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
Kindle Clippings Organizer

Hi, this is the first release of the Kindle Clippings Organizer that has been discussed on the forums in the last month.

Features:
  • Import clippings
  • Export clippings as XML
  • Export clippings as HTML
  • Sort clippings by location
  • Clippings sorted into individual books
  • Clippings grouped by notes,highlights and bookmarks
  • Save in a custom file on your computer for back up

This is an initial release and should be treated as a beta. At the moment there is one known bug. When resizing the window some components may not resize correctly.

Windows and Linux are known and tested to be working. Mac OSX should be supported but has not been tested.

To run either double click the jar file if your system supports this or run "java -jar KindleClippingsOrganizer.jar" from the command line/terminal.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Update:

I have updated the application to fix some bugs that have been reported to me and updated the about box. Please download the latest version and as allways if there are any problems let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleClippingsOrganizer.zip (157.0 KB, 870 views)
File Type: zip KindleClippingsOrganizer v0.2.zip (157.2 KB, 542 views)
File Type: zip KindleClippingsOrganizer v0.3.zip (157.2 KB, 1161 views)

Last edited by wiccan2; 09-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Does not work on Kindle Touch. It just says importing.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Could you please elaborate on what you did.

I don't understand what you mean by "on kindle touch", the application does not run on the kindle.

If you were importing clippings from a "My Clippings.txt" it could be that there are items in the file that were never generated on a kindle 3. I would need the file you are trying to import to fix the issue.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on this at the moment because of university.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
MyClipings file was generated by Kindle touch. I am simply trying to import My Clippings file and it says importing clippings and nothing happens.

I have attached My Clippings file to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt My Clippings.txt (9.8 KB, 707 views)
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
What a great little tool. Thanks.

However, some characters like apostrophes and inverted commas are displayed in a strange way e.g. (' = ’). Is there any way to fix this?

Another question: Could you also group highlights by chapter name?

Thanks,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
wiccan2
Connoisseur

I'm glad to see people are still interested in this little app. unfortunately the source code for this app had been lost making edits impossible.

The good news however is that I have managed to decompile the app to get the source back. The bad news is that trying to format the code so that it is even readable is a pain.

as I have limited time at the moment to work on this because of university work development is going to be slow.

From looking at the clippings file from the touch Amazon have changed a great deal in the file to make it more readable. This means my app can longer parse the file.

The character issue is a problem with java on windows and does not occur to my knowledge on Linux.

I will be looking to spend some time on this over Christmas so expect changes soon.

Sorry for any typos, punctuation or grammatical issues with this post, I'm using my phone to write this.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
I had the same "importing clippings" with no further results. This sounds like a useful tool. Good luck with university activities too.
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
jroadster
jroadster began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Great tool

Great tool! When you have time, it would be great if you could fix the character bug.

Also it would be nice to be able to choose which of the fields are output in the HTML, e.g. I would like to be able to turn off the page, etc.

Type: Highlight
Start location: 152
End location: 53
Page: 0
Date: 01/12/2011
Time: 22:25

Thanks so much for developing this! We appreciate it greatly.
jroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
MyClipings file was generated by Kindle touch. I am simply trying to import My Clippings file and it says importing clippings and nothing happens.

I have attached My Clippings file to this post.
Same problem here. "Importing clippings..." Using the Jar to navigate to my Kindle Touch clipping file.

Has anyone got this to work with a Touch?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
wiccan2
Connoisseur

The way in which the Kindle touch generates the clippings file is different from the K3. There are some big changes needed to get this program working with the touch and it's made even harder by the fact that I don't have a touch.

I have plans to work on this but I have other commitments that take priority at the moment so the development is going to be slow.

I have plans to rewrite parts of the application to make it easier to make these kinds of changes in the future. This process is going to be slow but development is happening.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I'm looking forward to getting this working for my KT. Clippings are a useful concept, but having them jumbled together in one file makes no sense. Thanks for taking the time to update us on your progress.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Good news everybody, I have had some time over the last couple of days to work on this and I have a version of the application ready that should be compatible with the Kindle Touch. It hasn't been tested much because I don't have a touch but it works with the Clippings file uploaded by robertpolson.

The new program is attached and it requires Java 7 to run, If needed I can compile it again with Java 6 but I plan on using some Java 7 features in the future so best to upgrade now if you can.

To aid in the development of this program it would be great if people could send me a clippings file with the following:

Hilight
Bookmark
Note
Article Clipping

If I have a file with all of these for each model and version of the kindle I can better test for problems. I don't need the actual data just the structure. If it wasn't for people like pop and robertpolson the application wouldn't be where it is now.

If there are any problems let me know I will do my best to address them and as usual if there are any feature requests post them and I'll get round to implementing them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleClippingsOrganizer v0.4.zip (29.2 KB, 808 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Kaaya
Kaaya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile organizing kindle clippings

wow, thanks for this. Just another tip that fellow Kindle users might find useful, there are now online tools such as http://clippingsconverter.com, which you can use to convert your clippings to word or pdf format (which is more convenient and more workable in some cases). and yes, it's a free online converter.
Kaaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Hello everyone, I hope your enjoying the program and that it is all working for you.

If you are using this application would you please just post in this thread if it is working correctly, It would be nice to know that the modifications I recently made are all working and that nothing else is wrong before I start work on this again to implement new features.

The more feedback I get the better the application will be.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I want to thank you for your program. It's been very useful. It's nice to have an easy way to export the clippings to other formats, specially for you use your kindle in your research projects. Thanks a lot.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote