Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like your cooking books in electronic format?
I like cooking books in electronic format 13 26.53%
I want my cooking books in regular paper format 20 40.82%
Either choice is ok as long as is available someway 10 20.41%
I don't care or I don't read cooking books, lol ... 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like to buy or rent from the library paper versions of cookbooks because I find them easier to flip through, and I like the color photos. However, once I have a recipe I love, it goes into my tastebook.com personal recipes, which I can access from my iTouch (yes, I know that's not the real name) when cooking. Of course, this speaks to the fact that I only have an eInk device... if I had an iPad, this is one area where I would use it, and I have a feeling I would prefer ecookbooks then.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Speaking of cookbooks in e-format, I'm currently reading a book with some recipes in it - some of the fractions come through as question marks ("? cup"). UGH!
That means "season to taste." Or "water to taste" or "flour to taste"
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #48
tgnd
tgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Recipes are one of the reasons that helped me decide to get an ereader actually. I have dozens of cookbooks but rarely use them for anything other than inspiration. I can't follow a cookbook recipe withotu adding my own touch to it if my life depending on it. For the most part I cook by adding things along as I go with no recipe. This works great the first time I 'invent' a dish. But 6 months later when I want to recreate my version? I always forget something and it doesn't turn out how I had hoped for.

Enter the kindle. My plan is that each time I create a new recipe that I consider a winner, I'll type it up and add it to the kindle, along with notes on serving sizes, freezing, adjustments to make next time. That gives me my own personal cookbook to work from. This means I will also have my recipes with me at the grocery store, so if I find something on sale unexpectedly, I can easily look up recipies that use it and see what else I need to make the dish. Also, since for the most part I need the recipe for the ingredient list rather than the instructions, I rarely need to flip pages, just have it propped up in my kitchen long enough to get everything together. Then I can switch to whatever book I'm reading and read while I stir or babysit dishes that need an eye on them. When I do this, the kindle definitely goes in a ziplock baggie for that extra protection.

Now to try to recreate that taco soup recipe I came up with a few months ago so I can write it down this time!!

Oh.. and I dream of some day publishing my own cookbook, so having this sort of preliminary work done on my recipes will go a long way towards that!
tgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #49
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I don't really use cookbooks anymore, as there are a billion-and-one recipes available for free on the internet (and rated, too, so you know which ones are good and which ones are flops!) but I prefer to display recipes on my computer screen. I've got a laptop, so I just set it up on the kitchen table and start cooking.

I can't really imagine using an ebook reader for recipes, because I like to have a big bright screen and color photos when I'm cooking - the screen size and brightness means I don't have to get too close with messy hands, and the color photos let me know that what I'm making looks like it should (well, most of the time :P)
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #50
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I use my ipad in the kitchen every time I cook. I pack it with its cover in a 6l ziplock bag, and it works just fine for me. I use quite a lot of recipes from sparkpeople, or allrecipe.com, and the ipad is great for that.

The results on the table not so, but hey, I am learning......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #51
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I use my 'On The Grill' all the time. I love the color pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grill8.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	66654   Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp8.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	66655  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #52
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I use my 'On The Grill' all the time. I love the color pictures.
Thanks for sharing!!!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #53
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Thanks for sharing!!!
May I ask why you returned your Nook Color. Is it because you decided on the Galaxy Tab? I tried one out in a Best Buy and it seemed responsive, not an iPad but good for android.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #54
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
May I ask why you returned your Nook Color. Is it because you decided on the Galaxy Tab? I tried one out in a Best Buy and it seemed responsive, not an iPad but good for android.
Off Topic ... but sent you a PM with reasons ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote