Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like your cooking books in electronic format?
I like cooking books in electronic format 13 26.53%
I want my cooking books in regular paper format 20 40.82%
Either choice is ok as long as is available someway 10 20.41%
I don't care or I don't read cooking books, lol ... 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #31
Dodge
Sparks fly off my pages!
Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Voted for paper. My wife loves cookbooks and I love her cooking. Cookbooks are simpler to navigate with messy hands. Better pictures as well.

This would be akin to working on a car - do I want to use my eReader or use a paper mechanics manual? Paper by far... if it gets greasy I'm not too stressed over it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Anyone tried the Demy?

I think I would rather have a piece of paper in front of me when cooking. I usually don't even have the cookbook open, any really good recipes I tend to copy and print out.

However, I have seen the Demy the last few days and was wondering if anyone here has one? The price seems kind of steep and from what I've seen it's gotten mixed reviews.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have something like this to store all my recipes.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #33
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
It's Funny.....

My first though when I look at this poll, was "Of Course I want it in paper, what kind of question is this?" but stopping to think for a second made me think about the last time I actually used a paper recipe book and was surprised.

The last time I actually opened up a recipe book was more then 6 months ago, and the last time i regularly used paper cookbooks was probably 4-5 years ago. I realised that the reason for this was that my favourite cookbook author ( one our family has been following for over 25 years) launched a website about 5-6 yeas ago and has a subscription which allows you access to most of the recipies she had ever written (the ones not on offer have not yet been digitised).

Once we got the subscription, most of the books have been gathering dust, as its just much more convenient to go on the web and look it then try and find it in one of the dozens of cookbooks. you can always print it if you need a hard copy. So now I have to say that I prefer cookbooks in digital formate, or more accurately cookbook content in digital format.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have started to make ebooks out of my recipes.

Those who worry about their device getting wet or dirty, you're not doing it right then. You only need to touch one little button to go to the next page and if you can't even get the tiniest top of your finger clean while cooking...

I only need a stand to prop my device up against...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Voted for paper. My wife loves cookbooks and I love her cooking. Cookbooks are simpler to navigate with messy hands. Better pictures as well.

Pictures? I never understood the need for pictures in a cook book...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #35
lenseman
The Avatar
lenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Pictures? I never understood the need for pictures in a cook book...
Exactly. By the time you get to where you can judge whether or not yours looks like the photo it's already too late to make any changes.
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #36
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
My only recipe that looks like the photos is the glass of water. After that all bets are off.

I moved my breadmaking machines instructions and recipes to the k3. I can reference out of the kitchen for thinking about. I just moved a deadly chocolate cake to it, too.

I remember when I got my Osborne (there's a gimp down memory lane) and she expected to input recipes - too much work to retype all of that stuff - never happened.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #37
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
To be entirely honest, I have used the recipe app on my iPhone a time or 2. I don't generally use cookbooks anymore (with 1 notable exception I'll get to later); I like to database search a few recipes on the same dish and then come up with my own version based on the ingredients and techniques.

The exception: I have a child with multiple food allergies, so I do have a food allergy cookbook I use from time to time. With milk, egg, soy, and nut allergies you kind of have to use recipes for things like cake.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #38
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
These books have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but since they are relevant to this discussion, I thought I'd list the links to three recipe books currently FREE for the Kindle at Amazon.com:

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes

Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Meatloaf Recipes
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #39
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I haven't tried it yet but I like the idea of the Nook while I cook. Cookbook pages are sometimes balky and with the Nook I can always have it where I want it. Like the idea of the zip loc bag. Also just discovered Trader Joe's. Loving it.

G J Lau
Check out my book on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36482
Visit my blog at http://www.windroot.blogspost.com/
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #40
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
These books have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but since they are relevant to this discussion, I thought I'd list the links to three recipe books currently FREE for the Kindle at Amazon.com:
Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes
Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Meatloaf Recipes
Thanks a lot for sharing!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #41
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Since I got my e-book reader, I have amassed an ever-growing pile of cookbooks and magazines in paper.

After all, I feel the need to spend my money on something to keep the brick-and-mortar stores in business (which I still love to frequent).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #42
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would prefer to get cookbooks in both formats, but to have to pick one I'd go for pbook form. Then I use MacGourmet on my iMac, iPhone and iPad to store recipes as I use them, using the iMac to load them in, the iPhone as a "grocery list", and the iPad in the kitchen to show me the recipe I'm working on.

That's the theory anyway. In practice I'm still loading recipes into MacGourmet, and often have my food-splattered cookbooks up on the bench instead.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #43
lenseman
The Avatar
lenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
I just remembered there is a voice activated system being developed that allows for some of this. I don't remember what it is called at the moment but basically it is a personal life assistant. One of its features is that it helps you out in the kitchen. It knows all of the items you bought from the store and how many you have left and can even recommend recipes to you and assist you while you cook through speech. I will dig through my bookmarks to find it.
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #44
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Well, I tried using the K3 as a cook book earlier this week. Besides not wanting to touch the device, it timed out too frequently. The dirty fingers could probably be fixed by a ziplock. The timeout is a pain - you have to get to the slider switch and then I have a password.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #45
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Speaking of cookbooks in e-format, I'm currently reading a book with some recipes in it - some of the fractions come through as question marks ("? cup"). UGH!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote