Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like your cooking books in electronic format?
I like cooking books in electronic format 13 26.53%
I want my cooking books in regular paper format 20 40.82%
Either choice is ok as long as is available someway 10 20.41%
I don't care or I don't read cooking books, lol ... 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I print them out as large as will fit on a sheet of paper. Then it throw away when I am finished and it is all goobered up with greasy fingerprints and wine stains.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I agree with joykins If I used one I would rather use paper as wouldn't want dough,water batter on my E-reader. With the exception of the grand daddy of all E-readers....The Kindle DX That might be big enough to have a whole page displayed so you wouldn't have to flip pages.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't need cookbooks in color. By the time I'm done cooking, there's no color left in my food.
That's the way I cook green beans. I always make sure they are cooked long enough to have no nutritional value. We consider them junk food around here and it's one of our favorite foods. We buy industrial size cans of them.

Back to the poll:

I love having my cookbooks and recipes on my Kindle. While I don't use it in the kitchen, I do use it at the grocery store for ingredient lists.

It's also nice to have recipes with me to give people who may want one at a get togethers. Yes, women really do this...

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 01-19-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I can't spell
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
[QUOTE=wvcherrybomb;1346824]That's the way I cook green beans. I always make sure they are cooked long enough to have no nutritional value. We consider them junk food around here and it's one of our favorite foods. We buy industrial size cans of them. /QUOTE]

I cooked for my folks the last time I visited - my mom accused me of serving the asparagus "rare"!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$200 Yankee dollars will get you one of these:

Demy Digital Recipe Reader

Quote:
The Demy is the world's first kitchen-safe digital recipe reader that will revolutionize the way you cook. The Demy holds your personal recipe collection in one sleek, compact device. Featuring a high-resolution color touchscreen, an uncluttered interface and many special tools to make any cook’s job easier.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I cooked for my folks the last time I visited - my mom accused me of serving the asparagus "rare"!
There's nothing worse than cutting into your asparagus and seeing pink.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
My mother used to cook like that. She was a fabulous cook overall, but her cooked (boiled?) vegetables were very pale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Black and smoky grey are both colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
That's the way I cook green beans. I always make sure they are cooked long enough to have no nutritional value. We consider them junk food around here and it's one of our favorite foods. We buy industrial size cans of them.
LOL... nothing like 'cooked' food.

When I cut into prime rib, the center had better be brown or it goes back.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
That is how my daughters make vegtables. I never thought of calling them "rare" but you bet I will next time. I love it!
It must be a generational thing to overcook veggies. Older adults learned to just make food taste good. Today's younger adults learned to make food nutritional.

Quote:
LOL... nothing like 'cooked' food.

When I cut into prime rib, the center had better be brown or it goes back.
Goes back where??
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Goes back where??
To the cook.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #25
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
That is how my daughters make vegtables. I never thought of calling them "rare" but you bet I will next time. I love it!
It must be a generational thing to overcook veggies. Older adults learned to just make food taste good. Today's younger adults learned to make food nutritional.
I'd nuked the asparagus for a full two minutes!

I was raised on frozen green beans, but couldn't bring myself to cook them at home - even if they were giving away the boxes for free! I get frozen brussell-sprouts-in-butter instead.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
$200 Yankee dollars will get you one of these:

Demy Digital Recipe Reader

I've seen that advertised and I wondered if it was worth the price. Seems a bit expensive. Just looking at the picture, though, tells me that the font would not be large enough for me to read when passing it by on the counter, which would mean having to turn pages in it to follow the recipe.

I've never tried making something using a recipe on my ereader, so I can't really participate in the poll. I have most of my mother's recipes in a small binder which opens flat, so that's no problem to use. Although I have a whole shelf and a half of cookbooks, I don't use them all that often, so it's no big deal to read a recipe out of one when I want to cook.

Re the overcooking of vegetables topic, I think the scariest cooking term is "al dente". Thank God I grew up in the pre-nutrition days; imagine trying to swallow a disliked vegetable now with a sip of milk - it would get stuck in my throat instead of just washing right down.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I find the iPad convenient enough to use all over the house including the kitchen. I've occasionaly had a few oil spatters or similar but glass cleans up OK.
But I wouldn't have it in the kitchen when my wife cooks. She thinks the smoke alarm is a timer.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
But I wouldn't have it in the kitchen when my wife cooks. She thinks the smoke alarm is a timer.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I fi
my mom couldn't cook. She also depended on the smoke alarm, but then she would fling the flaming pan out the backdoor. If we heard the smoke alarm, that was our signal to get off the swing set.

Next day, she would be out there with a steel brush and the hose pipe "doing the dishes.".
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
lenseman
The Avatar
lenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just think of the stories mothers will be telling their daughters in the future about their grandma's recipes:

"Honey this .epub file was given to your grandmother by her mother who then forwarded it to me. Now I am forwarding it to you and please, don't share it with your friends on FaceSpace. Now let me tell you how the encryption works..."
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote