Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
How come ebooks are "shorter" than pbooks?

I've noticed that the ebook "page" count is usually shorter than the corresponding pbook edition of the book. Does anyone know why this is? I think it's a little odd!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It's a secret conspiracy; a ghost of Reader's Digest Condensed Books back from the '70s to save e-publishers a few bytes.

I think they thought you'd never notice...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Numbers of pages are pretty arbitrary on paper books. They're competely meaningless on an ebook. I wish there was a way of getting number of screens of text, but even that's arbitrary when you can change the font size.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Probably it is just the extra pages in a pbook - mostly they have a few pages at the start and end which are blank or have publishers information. But I think the Readers Digest solution above sounds most convincing!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
From what I hear, the page numbers in ebooks are somehow calculated... every X characters, or something like that. So the result of that would be different from the paper book (which isn't written in stone, anyway; it may differ between editions).
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I've noticed that the ebook "page" count is usually shorter than the corresponding pbook edition of the book. Does anyone know why this is? I think it's a little odd!
Really? All my ebooks are thousands of pages long.

Of course, I'm reading on my phone.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Numbers of pages are pretty arbitrary on paper books. They're competely meaningless on an ebook. I wish there was a way of getting number of screens of text, but even that's arbitrary when you can change the font size.
That's one thing I like about my Sony 505 - if I'm reading a book in LRF format, page numbers do correspond to screens of text - and yes, it changes depending on font size.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
That's one thing I like about my Sony 505 - if I'm reading a book in LRF format, page numbers do correspond to screens of text - and yes, it changes depending on font size.
Score one over the Nook, then, I guess. Unfortunately, the page numbers seem to be hard-coded in to the .epub file. Fortunately, I don't actually care all that much.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
The nice thing about having the page numbers at set points in the book (like on the nook) is that I can move between my iPhone and Nook and easily find the place I left off on. I keep the font sizes different on each, so page numbers based on screens wouldn't allow me to do this. (I also keep the wi-fi off on my nook, so that syncing feature doesn't work)

As far as why the page numbers are different, the eBook edition might be based off the hardcover edition so the page numbering would be different from the paperback edition or any other editions that come out.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "shorter"...? Are you talking about the number of pages you "turn" on your Nook? If that's the case, it could just be because you're reading at a smaller font size, so you'll have fewer pages than the pbook counterpart. Or are you talking about actual page numbers?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Really? All my ebooks are thousands of pages long.

Of course, I'm reading on my phone.
I know, Passage by Justin Cronin, was like 5000 pages. LOL
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #12
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
paperbacks

I know that in paperbacks, due to the binding process, there is certain numbers of pages that are more beneficial, ie waste less space. There is also font and layout differences. That is why when you look at the same classic paperback book there can be pretty big differences in size.

I would say word count is a better judgement of actual length.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Unfortunately, the page numbers seem to be hard-coded in to the .epub file.
Usually that's not the case. The "page" numbers are computed by the reader in a fixed way (independent of screen, font or margin size), the .epub file itself has nothing about page numbers. This is true for Adobe-based readers and, although Adobe has some proprietary way to actually code page numbers into the .epub, I don't think there are many files around using it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "shorter"...? Are you talking about the number of pages you "turn" on your Nook? If that's the case, it could just be because you're reading at a smaller font size, so you'll have fewer pages than the pbook counterpart. Or are you talking about actual page numbers?
I mean the actual page numbers. I noticed it when I was updating my status on goodreads a few times. The book would say it was 300 something on my nook and the paper version would say it was 450 pages or something like that.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
This also works with plain text and RTF on the Sony 505. When it comes to page numbering, I prefer it to refer to pages of text.

Since page reformatting has such an effect on the length of an ebook, I think a better way to indicate a position in an ebook is to use a percentage number, taken to two decimal places. Regardess of the way the ebook is formatted, the percentage number indicates the position of the top line on the page. As an example, "75.35%" would indicate that the top line on the screen is roughly three-quarters of the way through the ebook.

The advantage of using a percentage figure is that it is easily understood, and allows you to access the same point on the ebook between various ereader. It can also be calculated independent of the specific ebook format.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote