Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Easy Way to Remove Inserted Metadata Page?

Awhile back without thinking much about it I massed converted most of my library to what I thought would be an idle format for my future ereader.

Now that I have my PRS-505 I find that I don't like some of the included metadata pages that I added to each book. Not that it is a big deal or anything, but I wouldn't mind removing them, as some also have incorrect information and so forth. So is there any easy way to revert this?

I had converted my files awhile ago, so the originals are long gone.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
Awhile back without thinking much about it I massed converted most of my library to what I thought would be an idle format for my future ereader.

Now that I have my PRS-505 I find that I don't like some of the included metadata pages that I added to each book. Not that it is a big deal or anything, but I wouldn't mind removing them, as some also have incorrect information and so forth. So is there any easy way to revert this?

I had converted my files awhile ago, so the originals are long gone.
On a Windows XP machine I would do the following.

1. Install Sigil.
2. Select the book in calibre, then press o. This will open the folder containing your ePub.
3. Open the ePub with Sigil.
4. Find and remove the book jacket.
5. Save the ePub.
6. Wash, rinse, repeat.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
On a Windows XP machine I would do the following.

1. Install Sigil.
2. Select the book in calibre, then press o. This will open the folder containing your ePub.
3. Open the ePub with Sigil.
4. Find and remove the book jacket.
5. Save the ePub.
6. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Ahh I hadn't even thought of that. I was kind of hoping for a way in calibre to remove it somehow. But this should work and seems simple enough, thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Ahh I hadn't even thought of that. I was kind of hoping for a way in calibre to remove it somehow. But this should work and seems simple enough, thanks for the help.
calibre adds jacket.xml file in an epub just delete that and then reconvert you should have updated metadata.

If you know scripting you can make a bat file that would delete all jacket.xml file in your epubs then when you reconvert you will have updates metadata page
In the lnewest version of calibre it is able to change the metadata jacket but the epubs should have been made with it

Last edited by Dopedangel; 06-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
calibre adds jacket.xml file in an epub just delete that and then reconvert you should have updated metadata.

If you know scripting you can make a bat file that would delete all jacket.xml file in your epubs then when you reconvert you will have updates metadata page
In the lnewest version of calibre it is able to change the metadata jacket but the epubs should have been made with it
I know nothing about scripting but thats for the input.

Just a question about Sigil now though, why exactly does opening an ebook in sigil deleting the book jacket and then saving it make the file size go up?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Just a question about Sigil now though, why exactly does opening an ebook in sigil deleting the book jacket and then saving it make the file size go up?
I never looked at this. Try asking this in the Sigil forum. When the creator of Sigil as a chance between final exams and university projects he'll answer the question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I never looked at this. Try asking this in the Sigil forum. When the creator of Sigil as a chance between final exams and university projects he'll answer the question.
The inserted page is called "titlepage.xhtml"
You can just delete it via the bookbrowser. and save.
That is it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote