Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #436
bagpiper1
Banned
bagpiper1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura edition 2 and Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I wouldn't use an audio book feature on my eReader, but I don't mind if it is there for two reasons.
  1. Maybe I'd like it if I had it, and who knows the future.
  2. Other consumers might find it useful. I just don't want to pay anything extra for it.
Audio-books are anti-intellectual especially for non-fiction I noticed that while reading books is not that popular for both men and women that when women read a lot it tends to be fiction( which is more for entertainment purposes than intellectual) the author of the OP article is a woman too, right ? :

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/sch.../chapter5.html

Reading books is kind of like classical music the unwashed plebeian simian masses just don't understand the appeal.

Quote:

Want to know one habit ultra-successful people have in common?

They read. A lot.

In fact, when Warren Buffett was once asked about the key to success, he pointed to a stack of nearby books and said, “Read 500 pages like this every day. That’s how knowledge works. It builds up, like compound interest. All of you can do it, but I guarantee not many of you will do it.”

Buffett takes this habit to the extreme — he read between 600 and 1000 pages per day when he was beginning his investing career, and still devotes about 80% of each day to reading.

And he’s not alone. Here are just a few top business leaders and entrepreneurs who make reading a major part of their daily lifestyle:

Bill Gates reads about 50 books per year, which breaks down to one per week

Mark Cuban reads more than three hours every day

Elon Musk is an avid reader. When asked how he learned to build rockets, he said, “I read books.”

Mark Zuckerberg resolved to read a book every two weeks throughout 2015

Oprah Winfrey selects one of her favorite books every month for her Book Club members to read and discuss

And these aren’t just isolated examples. A study of 1,200 wealthy people found that they all have reading as a pastime in common.

But successful people don’t just read anything. They are highly selective about what they read, opting to be educated over being entertained. They believe that books are a gateway to learning and knowledge.

In fact, there is a notable difference between the reading habits of the wealthy and the not-so-wealthy. According to Tom Corley, author of Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals, rich people (those with an annual income of $160,000 or more and a liquid net worth of $3.2 million-plus) read for self-improvement, education, and success. Meanwhile, poor people (those with an annual income of $35,000 or less and a liquid net worth of $5,000 or less) read primarily to be entertained.

Successful people tend to choose educational books and publications over novels, tabloids, and magazines. And in particular, they obsess over biographies and autobiographies of other successful people for guidance and inspiration.

There are many examples of successful people dropping out of school or foregoing a formal education, but it is clear that they never stop learning. And reading is a key part of their success.

If reading as a pathway to success isn’t enough to get you motivated, consider these health benefits of reading: Reading has been shown to help prevent stress, depression, and dementia, while enhancing confidence, empathy, decision-making, and overall life satisfaction.
https://qz.com/668514/if-you-want-to...eading-habits/

Anyway, those people saying they read a lot on tablets and smartphones are probably exaggerating how much they actually read. Video culture has overtaken print culture for the plebeian simian masses.

People cannot be free if they are ignorant, and the more knowledgeable a person is, the more likely he is to be free -- or to be able to free himself. But because the information available to people is overwhelming in volume, it is necessary to develop good criteria for selecting the information you imbibe. Here are some helpful rules:

(1) Prefer books to periodicals. Books are far more likely to have enduring value; periodicals are, by their very nature, transitory in worth.

(2) If you like something an author writes, read more of his stuff. An author whom you find interesting is more likely to have written other material that will please you than an author you have no knowledge of.

(3) Modern books are usually better than older ones. This is partly because modern books benefit from more up-to-date knowledge (though they don't always), and partly because the publishing business is now very competitive, unlike in earlier days, years, or centuries; and competition means the best will generally rise to the top (ie, get published). A great many older books ('classics') are much overpraised, but it took me a long time to figure out that it was the books which were lousy, and not my taste.

(4) Don't waste your time reading lousy stuff, even if it is supposed to be 'important'. If it's lousy, chances are it's not important at all, at least for your purposes.

Obviously, having more money like Gates and Buffet will make you more free in a Capitalist society.

Last edited by bagpiper1; 06-27-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Fix url link
bagpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #437
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think the only tragedy for eInk fans is Amazon becoming effectively a monopoly. There was a time when buying an eInk reader didn't lock you into the books from the device company.

But, as was true of Standard Oil - monopolies can be a good think and certainly do not unfailingly lead to higher prices. Amazon is a good steward of both it's eInk devices and it's Kindle book store.

What is SUPER helpful for eInk affectianado's is that so many other people enjoy reading ebooks on tablets and smartphones. There is no longer any doubt that a new title will come out in ebook form.

I think the market for ebooks themselves is quite healthy....given my earlier comment that monopolies are not always terrible (unless YOU are someone trying to compete with them)
At least in the EU, is only matter of time they force amazon to sell their books in epub format or open the azw to other companies because monopoly.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #438
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
At least in the EU, is only matter of time they force amazon to sell their books in epub format or open the azw to other companies because monopoly.
I suppose that it is possible, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Amazon can already claim that the books they sell can be read on just about any device using the various apps that they make available for free. There are only a few proprietary reading devices that can't run one of them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #439
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
"Ten years ago, the Kindle was essentially the only game in town for e-books. But now, it's just as easy to read on your computer, your tablet, your phone — or even all three, thanks to cross-compatible apps."

Really? Try reading with your computer, tablet, or phone on the beach in brght sunlight or sitting in the sun in your garden. When in an emergency I'm forced to read on my phone I remember the cutesy tiny books that used to be sold as a novelty.
Yes, really. This isn't 2000, when phones had 3 inch screens.

Just because all 3 methods don't work equally well in every single situation doesn't invalidate the statement. It's like disagreeing that reading on a kindle is as easy as a paperback by saying "Really? Try going camping for a month and reading when your battery dies."
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #440
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Yes, really. This isn't 2000, when phones had 3 inch screens.

Just because all 3 methods don't work equally well in every single situation doesn't invalidate the statement. It's like disagreeing that reading on a kindle is as easy as a paperback by saying "Really? Try going camping for a month and reading when your battery dies."
I don't have problem reading in the sun on my lcd laptop, tablet or phone because I use homemade sunshade covers together with sunshade cap + sun glasses + anti-glare screen protectors, but when abroad it is easier and more comfortable to simply use e-ink instead or quickly put some darker blanket or sheet over the ropes when in the garden or on the balcony.

This could also change the reading habits for many users in the near future:

Apple AR/VR Glasses:

16K display, 1000+ ppi, 40 Gb/s Wi-Fi, 300-500 m distance from its computer box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6pGVq9g7KU

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-30-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #441
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
This could also change the reading habits for many users in the near future:

Apple AR/VR Glasses:

16K display (2 x 8K), 1762 ppi, 40 Gb/s Wi-Fi, 300-500 m distance from its computer box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6pGVq9g7KU
Didn't Google already try something like this?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #442
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Didn't Google already try something like this?
As (hopefully) with a color e-paper after the first produced devices, it will probably take another 5-10 years for such device to be perfected and then made affordable to the masses.

I don't like the idea of Wi-Fi transmitter/receivers being situated near the skin/brain/eyes for hours though, so, IMO they should also allow for the use of an additional short cable instead, with transmitter/receiver at its end.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-30-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #443
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I don't like the idea of Wi-Fi transmitter/receivers being situated near the skin/brain/eyes for hours though, so, IMO they should also allow for the use of an additional short cable instead, with transmitter/receiver at its end.
I don't like the idea of wearing something in front of my eyes that would interfere with my line of sight. I guess I come from a different generation than the group these devices are intended for.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #444
Marinolino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't like the idea of wearing something in front of my eyes that would interfere with my line of sight. I guess I come from a different generation than the group these devices are intended for.
Maybe its AR would allow us to read & flip through ebook/pdf as it was the real 3D paper book or tablet in front of us in our 360° room/environment, also choosing whatever paper rigidity, flipping speed, book inclination & size, sounds, flipping gestures etc. we would like to have.

Further in the future something similar shall probably be implemented in the contact lenses too, but there should also be many different quality e-paper devices/sheets around to choose from.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-30-2018 at 08:44 PM.