Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Jarmex
Jarmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 (KT2)
Unbricking KT2

Hi all,

I have a Kindle Basic 2014 (aka KT2, serial 90C6..) and I managed to install the wrong image when jailbreaking (yes, I'm an idiot).

The Kindle is now stuck on the 'tree' loading screen, and I can't hard reset it by holding the power down (tried for well over a minute multiple times), and Windows does not seem to recognise it. When I plug the USB cable in I get the Windows 'connected' noise, followed by an immediate disconnect, with no new devices appearing in device manager.

I do have a serial adapter (the jim.fx one), however following the instructions from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541 leaves me stick on the step: "Turn on your kindle, and watch the blank putty window you have open." My Kindle won't restart so I can't get to the uboot prompt.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can communicate through the serial without a reboot? Or any other suggestion to get this Kindle unbricked?

Thank you!
Jarmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
How long did you let it show you the tree?
Loading the correct firmware is slow, loading the wrong firmware is really slowwwwww.
Connect to a wall charger and let it set over night.

- - - - -

Disconnect the battery.
When you have everything setup and ready - put battery back in.
You may have to use an external reference 1.8v for the adapter, since you are starting by turning on the power.

A new Lithium / Iron-Disulfide (Energizer Ultimate Lithium) has an open terminal voltage of 1.8v - exactly what you need for the adapter reference.

Last edited by knc1; 02-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Jarmex
Jarmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 (KT2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How long did you let it show you the tree?
Loading the correct firmware is slow, loading the wrong firmware is really slowwwwww.
Connect to a wall charger and let it set over night.

- - - - -

Disconnect the battery.
When you have everything setup and ready - put battery back in.
You may have to use an external reference 1.8v for the adapter, since you are starting by turning on the power.

A new Lithium / Iron-Disulfide (Energizer Ultimate Lithium) has an open terminal voltage of 1.8v - exactly what you need for the adapter reference.
Approximately 6 weeks

I've previously had it on the wall charger for a few days, and have left it for the last day or so on charge as well

When I disconnect the battery, the tree still shows. Is this normal?!

Last edited by Jarmex; 02-21-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Jarmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmex View Post
Approximately 6 weeks

I've previously had it on the wall charger for a few days, and have left it for the last day or so on charge as well

When I disconnect the battery, the tree still shows. Is this normal?!
Yes.

An e-ink panel is meta-stable, similar to real ink.
It always shows the last thing that was written to it.
hours, days, years, until the e-ink dies of old age.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote